1.    #1  
    When a patch won't install it gives details of what's gone wrong (at least it seems to me), but I'm just not quick enough to read between those lines in the installing process, which is then covered by the message jpk error. Is there a way to read what's gone wrong during installation? Maybe if I could read what's gone wrong someone might help me figure out how to rectify the issue, or that's not how it works?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    When you have installed it with preware I think there is an option in sysmenu to read/save the log (can't remember exactly).
    preware when showing the ipkg error log will turn stuff that worked green and stuff that failed red, the red stuffs the important part.
  4.    #4  
    Ow, I didn't get that, so the logs report exactly that process eh? Then I'm screwed as they're apparently useless...

If you know how to sort this out feel free to drop us a line

Begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    Verify
    Nothing Interesting.
    Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    47 60382 47 28545 0 0 20868 0 0:00:02 0:00:01 0:00:01 24930
    100 60382 100 60382 0 0 37807 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 43946
    Identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework
    Install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":5, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":5 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":5 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":5 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":5 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":5 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    Mkdir-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Install-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework.postinst 2>&1
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.person.rej
    Remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework.prerm)
    Delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    Failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    Verify
    Nothing Interesting.
    Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    9 60382 9 5505 0 0 8174 0 0:00:07 --:--:-- 0:00:07 12233
    100 60382 100 60382 0 0 44751 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 53672
    Identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework
    Install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":6, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    Mkdir-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Install-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework.postinst 2>&1
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.person.rej
    Remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-framework.prerm)
    Delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    Failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    A patch is manipulating (system)files.
    This log tells you, that the file, the patch wanted to manipulate, is not in its original state:
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Remove
    er that would be the part your looking for near the bottom of your log, just guessing from the words Unable to Run and Saving Rejects, it states in there somewhere another patch possibly affecting the thing that patch is also trying to alter so it refuses to patch something thats already modified.

at a guess.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    it states in there somewhere another patch possibly affecting the thing that patch is also trying to alter so it refuses to patch something thats already modified.
    I doubt that's the case, I already tried ERP and then install that patch 1st thing, same error though.
    well what it expects to be there and what is there are still in conflict, either the patch is wrong or the file to be patched is wrong.

which patch exactly cant you apply, and on what device, others could report a similar issue perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I see the patch in question is one of Sconix's patches. You could post in that patch thread to see if he could provide more info on the problem. Here is the thread link.

Sometimes running EPR a few times will kick through those issues. But basically this line:

Code:
    is the file that is having the problem. If you browse to that directory you'll see a .orig of the same file. You could delete the current file there, then rename/remove the .orig from that backup file and reboot. Then try to apply the patch.

That is probably not a recommended way of working with it, but first check to see what Sconix would say about it.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  10.    #10  
    Sconix was incredibly nice and told us that this issue could well be solved later on this year, in the meantime possible solutions are correcting the file manually or doctoring.

I am one of the few that absolutely hate doctoring (I see here a lot of doctoring enthusiasts), and would like to understand how to correct a patch manually. I've read a few posts but I'm afraid I can't understand what's required because the info is scattered here and there.
    I basically have a patch (attached) to revert to its clean state, if anyone could point me to a post where there is a step by step tutorial I'd be most grateful.
    Attached Files Attached Files