Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Would someone be able to create a patch that will use whatever current wallpaper you have your device set to, to be used when the system locks? much like on the TouchPad WebOS 3.0.4, I would like to use it on a Pre3 WebOS 2.2.4.

Thank you all!!
    not entirely sure what you mean here- the lockscreen on 2.x has always used the same wallpaper as the homescreen.
  3.    #3  
    No it has the blue sky thing, only the touchpad does that
    I just set my wallpaper to the swirly colours on a white background, and it persisted on the lockscreen. EU Pre3 running 2.2.4, are you using one of the stock wallpapers or a custom one?
    Another confirmation here, if I change my wallpaper, say, to a picture I've taken, the PIN lock background (numpad in foreground) is still, and always has been, the blue sky with clouds background. The lock screen however (padlock at bottom, move out of circle to unlock) does have my chosen wallpaper.

Pre 3, now at 2.2.4.
    Ahh, I've been herping my derp. I didn't see 'pin' in the thread title, apologies.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    This is a mojo thing. I am on 1.4.5 and was able to manually change my PIN Lock background, but it took changes in about 3-4 different apps. Complicated. It seems several apps need to be involved in a patch like this. Would be a welcome change though.
    I'll try to dig up the manual changes I made if it will help.
    I'd be happy to have a go at knocking together a patch if you can find the manual changes, or even remember the files. I'll have to have a dig around and see how to access the current wallpaper, but it should be doable.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I'd be happy to have a go at knocking together a patch if you can find the manual changes, or even remember the files. I'll have to have a dig around and see how to access the current wallpaper, but it should be doable.
    I will dig around tonight and report back. My fix was to manually set the background wallpaper to what I wanted (not a dynamic wallpaper). I should be able track back to the files.

Also, there is a fullscreen wallpaper thread that speaks to how to get the current wallpaper if set by the photos app. I will dig that up too. Busy at work right now.
    OK. Here is what I have found so far... (Preamble: I manually changed the backdrop-firstuse.png image to a different one in all three applications and it changed the background as expected. I think if you do not touch all three apps, you will get unexpected results based on my past testing.)

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/stylesheets/screenlock.css
    Line 100
    Replace	--> background: url(../images/backdrop-firstuse.png);
    With	--> background: url(/media/internal/.wallpapers/wallpaper-temp.jpg);

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/stylesheets/pinpad.css
    Line 10
    Replace	--> background: #000 url(../images/backdrop-firstuse.png) 0 0 fixed no-repeat;
    With	--> background: #000 url(/media/internal/.wallpapers/wallpaper-temp.jpg) 0 0 fixed no-repeat;

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/stylesheets/phone.css
    Line 44
    Replace	--> background: #000 url(../images/backdrop-firstuse.png) 0 0 fixed no-repeat;
    With	--> background: #000 url(/media/internal/.wallpapers/wallpaper-temp.jpg) 0 0 fixed no-repeat;

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/stylesheets/pincode.css
    Line 26
    The patch of course would allow the background to change whenever the background is set via Photos app and after a Luna reset. The wallpaper code is from Warlord9195 and others. (one example)

Hope this helps. Looks like this might be a messy patch unfortunately.

EDIT: Oops. Wrong link URL.
    Last edited by palmuse; 06/11/2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: wrong link url // fixed errors in code section
    ava1ar likes this.
    Wow, that's some extensive info right there! It should be easy enough, I'll have a go when I'm at my computer later.
    When the source is released, we'll be able to make it work without a Luna reset. I'm also interested to poke around in that lockscreen folder, might be able to make some interesting modifications.
    Wow, that's some extensive info right there! It should be easy enough, I'll have a go when I'm at my computer later.
    When the source is released, we'll be able to make it work without a Luna reset. I'm also interested to poke around in that lockscreen folder, might be able to make some interesting modifications.
    Ha. I used Komodo Edit to get the details (wanna be app dev). Look forward to your work here.

Also, the above is all based on 1.4.5.
    "/media/internal/.wallpapers/wallpaper-temp.jpg" is not a safe name to use if you use any app that handles wallpaper changing. I think the stock Photos app uses "wallpaper-temp.jpg" just so it doesn't need to go through with the process of deleting the old wallpaper, but I figure most wallpaper changing and/or setting apps will just use the name of the original file. That's certainly the case with my apps Slide RSS, Slide Master, and Wall Switch. I'm pretty sure the same goes for Switcheroo and InterfaceLift.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    "/media/internal/.wallpapers/wallpaper-temp.jpg" is not a safe name to use if you use any app that handles wallpaper changing. I think the stock Photos app uses "wallpaper-temp.jpg" just so it doesn't need to go through with the process of deleting the old wallpaper, but I figure most wallpaper changing and/or setting apps will just use the name of the original file. That's certainly the case with my apps Slide RSS, Slide Master, and Wall Switch. I'm pretty sure the same goes for Switcheroo and InterfaceLift.
    This is true, but how would you capture all of the custom wallpaaper name and path in a patch? The suggested path would likely work incases where the user sets their background viathe Photos app as was suggested. This suggestion was based on the work of many a pioneer in background hacking.

An altternative method would be to set a path to a specific background image and save an image to that path an name. This however would not dynamically change when the background changed. It wold be the same until the user decided to change it manually again. The point of thepatch request was a dynamic background.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    This is true, but how would you capture all of the custom wallpaaper name and path in a patch? The suggested path would likely work incases where the user sets their background viathe Photos app as was suggested. This suggestion was based on the work of many a pioneer in background hacking.

An altternative method would be to set a path to a specific background image and save an image to that path an name. This however would not dynamically change when the background changed. It wold be the same until the user decided to change it manually again. The point of thepatch request was a dynamic background.
    Since this patch will affect CSS files, just one unchanging path will have to be specified, and the particular one suggested is good if you use the stock Photos app or the Screen&Lock app only. I just want to clarify that using virtually anything else to set/change wallpaper will cause the patch to break.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Since this patch will affect CSS files, just one unchanging path will have to be specified, and the particular one suggested is good if you use the stock Photos app or the Screen&Lock app only. I just want to clarify that using virtually anything else to set/change wallpaper will cause the patch to break.
    I understand where you are coming from here. I agree completely that the patch as proposed will only work when the current wallpaper is set via the Photos app. This is an unfortunate issue with how webOS currently handles setting the wallpaper.

I would like to understand the "break" aspect of your post. By "break" do you mean:

1. the Screen&Lock background will not reflect the current wallpaper if set by an app other than Photos
    OR
    2. do you suggest that the patch will fail given the above?

I agree with #1 but have issue with #2.
    I imagine the patch would simply not set the correct wallpaper, so you'd have whatever the previous wallpaper set through photos or screen/lock was.
    I imagine the patch would simply not set the correct wallpaper, so you'd have whatever the previous wallpaper set through photos or screen/lock was.
    Agreed
    Depending upon what other apps set the wallpaper, there might not be the "wallpaper-temp.jpg" in the folder when the app is done. In that case, you'll probably wind up with the missing file pic - a big "X" icon.

I just tried setting via "Screen&Lock" and that also just uses the original file's name, so you'll pretty much be limited to using the stock Photos app.
    I had a crack at using SystemService to get the current wallpaper and apply it to the various pin scenes mentioned with JavaScript, but no luck as yet. It returns the current wallpaper's file location, but doesn't seem to want to set the background image I'll knock together a patch to the CSS using the information palmuse posted tomorrow- I've been hacking at this all day and am a tad exhausted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast