Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkUrRiEr
  1.    #1  
    My Google password contains one of the following characters: \, ^, $, *, ?, ., (, {, [, ], }, )

When I attempt to sync with Google Calendar on my Pre2 running WebOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 it fails with an "Unknown Error".

After a lot of hunting and hacking, it turns out that usernames, passwords, and auth tokens are used in regular expressions to censor the log output from the Google Calendar service, and if there are any special characters for regular expressions in either the username, password or auth token, Javascript's regular expression parser chokes on it, and as the upper layers of the service don't know how to handle the error, they give the unhelpful error message.

This patch introduces a new method to the Utils class in the 'utils.jsjsjs' $file$ $which$ $makes$ $these$ $characters$ $regular$ $expression$ $safe$ $and$ $modifies$ $the$ $places$ $where$ $these$ $regular$ $expressions$ $are$ $built$ $to$ $use$ $it$.

I've had this running on my phone for ~1 week without any issues - and as this is only used in the authentication setup, and that worked properly, I assume that this is safe.

This has been submitted to WebOS-patches and I'll update here if it's accepted.

I haven't looked yet but it's likely that other default providers have the same issue. I'm happy to produce patches for them, but I'm unlikely to be able to test them properly.

This issue may also exist for other WebOS versions, but as I lack an emulator or proper hardware, I can't test it. If people would check this, I'll attempt to produce patches.

Update: 17/12/2011 22:30 AEST: Confirmed to exist on 2.2.4, working on patch now, Fixed witespace damage in 2.1.0 patch - Sorry for that!

Update: 18/12/2011 00:00 AEST: Actually fixed witespace damage in 2.1.0 patch - Sorry for that!

Update: 18/12/2011 00:15 AEST: Uploaded dev version of 2.1.0 patch - fixed! - I am *not* having a good night!

Update: 15/05/2012 15:00 AEDT: 2.2.4 version uploaded - thanks to sshaka!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SkUrRiEr; 05/21/2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Update patch
    Quote Originally Posted by SkUrRiEr View Post
    My Google password contains one of the following characters: \, ^, $, *, ?, ., (, {, [, ], }, )

When I attempt to sync with Google Calendar on my Pre2 running WebOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 it fails with an "Unknown Error".

After a lot of hunting and hacking, it turns out that usernames, passwords, and auth tokens are used in regular expressions to censor the log output from the Google Calendar service, and if there are any special characters for regular expressions in either the username, password or auth token, Javascript's regular expression parser chokes on it, and as the upper layers of the service don't know how to handle the error, they give the unhelpful error message.

This patch introduces a new method to the Utils class in the 'utils.jsjsjs' $file$ $which$ $makes$ $these$ $characters$ $regular$ $expression$ $safe$ $and$ $modifies$ $the$ $places$ $where$ $these$ $regular$ $expressions$ $are$ $built$ $to$ $use$ $it$.

I've had this running on my phone for ~1 week without any issues - and as this is only used in the authentication setup, and that worked properly, I assume that this is safe.

This has been submitted to WebOS-patches and I'll update here if it's accepted.

I haven't looked yet but it's likely that other default providers have the same issue. I'm happy to produce patches for them, but I'm unlikely to be able to test them properly.

This issue may also exist for other WebOS versions, but as I lack an emulator or proper hardware, I can't test it. If people would check this, I'll attempt to produce patches.

Update: 17/12/2011 22:30 AEST: Confirmed to exist on 2.2.4, working on patch now, Fixed witespace damage in 2.1.0 patch - Sorry for that!

Update: 18/12/2011 00:00 AEST: Actually fixed witespace damage in 2.1.0 patch - Sorry for that!

Update: 18/12/2011 00:15 AEST: Uploaded dev version of 2.1.0 patch - fixed! - I am *not* having a good night!
    Please update to the new webOS 2.2.4!!!
    I have this problem too!!!

Please!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

I actually have a 2.2.4 patch that *in theory* will work, however I was never able to make it work on my device.

A simple and effective workaround is to enable 2-factor authentication in Google Accounts.

I've attached the patch in case you'd like to try to make it work.

Thanks,

Julian Calaby
    Attached Files Attached Files
    sshaka likes this.
    Finally I can log in again onto my Google accounts!!!

Thanks 4 the patch.......IT REALLY WORKS on webOS 2.2.4!!!

Update it in the Preware's patches!!!

El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Can someone please release this for webOS 3.x as well. I'm having the unknown error issue as well and am using a password with a special character!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Can someone please release this for webOS 3.x as well. I'm having the unknown error issue as well and am using a password with a special character!
    I don't have a webOS 3.x device, so I cannot test it.

But the change is pretty simple, I'm sure you could port it over. If you do, feel free to upload it yourself, or if you post it here, I can do it for you.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    OK, I might take a look at it myself, but have no experience with webOS patch development myself.