Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Have you tried 2.0.0 with the original adobe renderer? Here is the link.
    I don't think reverting to the original Adobe renderer would help. I was using the mupdf renderer with 1.8.5 without this memory leak problem, so it's more likely something in the latest enhancements that's causing it. If I'm going to temporarily go back to a version that's pre-problem, I think the chances would be better with 1.8.8. I'm just not sure how to revert to an older version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I don't think reverting to the original Adobe renderer would help. I was using the mupdf renderer with 1.8.5 without this memory leak problem, so it's more likely something in the latest enhancements that's causing it. If I'm going to temporarily go back to a version that's pre-problem, I think the chances would be better with 1.8.8. I'm just not sure how to revert to an older version.
    There were changes to mupdf since then but if you are wondering just uninstall the patch then install the other one. But this will causes some problems just be ready for them.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Sorry, I don't have time to deal with this right now. The changes were quite big (also in mupdf itself) and I don't intend to undo them. It shouldn't be a problem to use the binary from 1.8.5, but I think it lacks printing support. I'll try to fix the memory bugs as soon as I moved to my new place.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Well I guess we can hardly ask you to hurry up and fix it when you're doing it in your own spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    but if you are wondering just uninstall the patch then install the other one. But this will causes some problems just be ready for them.
    Uh oh, like what?

I'm still wondering how to uninstall the old patch. I installed this patch with WebOSQuickInstall. It's the only patch I'm using. If I view the list of installed patches on the TP with WebOSQuickInstall, it shows none. Nor is there anything obvious to remove in the regular apps list.
  5.    #245  
    Well I guess we can hardly ask you to hurry up and fix it when you're doing it in your own spare time.

Uh oh, like what?

I'm still wondering how to uninstall the old patch. I installed this patch with WebOSQuickInstall. It's the only patch I'm using. If I view the list of installed patches on the TP with WebOSQuickInstall, it shows none. Nor is there anything obvious to remove in the regular apps list.
    It's not actually a patch it's a full application so you can remove it using the Software Manager. Just remove the Adobe Reader application and install the older version. Let us know if the older version clears this up.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I see an Adobe Reader app listed in the WebOS software manager, and in WebOSQuickInstall. But I'm pretty sure that's the built-in app that comes with WebOS. It can't be removed using the standard software manager. It's not listed in the app catalog, so I don't want to take a chance on removing it using WebOSQuickInstall in case I can't get the original stock app back. Are you sure that the patch is listed as an app, and that it's called Adobe Reader? Won't the original app be gone if I remove that, leaving nothing to patch?
    I see an Adobe Reader app listed in the WebOS software manager, and in WebOSQuickInstall. But I'm pretty sure that's the built-in app that comes with WebOS. It can't be removed using the standard software manager. It's not listed in the app catalog, so I don't want to take a chance on removing it using WebOSQuickInstall in case I can't get the original stock app back. Are you sure that the patch is listed as an app, and that it's called Adobe Reader? Won't the original app be gone if I remove that, leaving nothing to patch?
    Relax.
    If you remove the adobe reader it will just be redownload when you restart the Touchpad. I know this from personal experience this has always happened. We patched the files and made a ipk from the original files from adobe reader then it installs over it to patch the files. This needs to happen to allow for the database which holds the bookmarks, etc to be made.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Ok, I removed the Adobe Reader app using WebOSQuickInstall, rebooted and got the original 3.0.5 version downloaded again, then patched it to 1.8.8. So far, so good - no "Too many cards" errors yet. I miss a few of the improvements in 2.0.6, but better a version that works than a few extra features for the moment. Thanks for the help.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Ok, I removed the Adobe Reader app using WebOSQuickInstall, rebooted and got the original 3.0.5 version downloaded again, then patched it to 1.8.8. So far, so good - no "Too many cards" errors yet. I miss a few of the improvements in 2.0.6, but better a version that works than a few extra features for the moment. Thanks for the help.
    Did you get that error on patch 2.0.0?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Did you get that error on patch 2.0.0?
    Didn't try 2.0.0. I thought it might be a bridge too far. But if it would be helpful diagnostically, I'll try it.

Update: Ok, I tried 2.0.5. It has the memory leak. Starts to get real slow after turning about 25 pages, then "Too many cards" on page 30. Does that help? Or do you want me to try the version with the original renderer instead of the mupdf renderer?
    Last edited by Semma2; 02/29/2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Didn't try 2.0.0. I thought it might be a bridge too far. But if it would be helpful diagnostically, I'll try it. That's the version using the original renderer instead of the mupdf renderer, right?
    Yes, that version. I was wondering because it could be my "improvements" that are causing the problem. I would like to rule that out first and if it is my fault then try to work on the issue. Thanks.
    I read several pages out of a book and didn't notice the problem but I was doing homework. So I wasn't reading 40 pages.
    Thanks for this great patch. Couple of things:

I have a bunch of pdf's that are ~30-60 MB a piece with 300-600 pages, and are fairly image intensive. As such even with all the work done, it still takes 3-5 seconds to render a page. Is there anything that can be done to increase the render speed?

Since page rendering is a problem with these pdf's, there is no way to just flip throught the pages quickly to find what I need. As such, I have begun bookmarking sections of interest (Hurray for bookmarks). One thing I have notice is that I can not get to the bookmarks towards the bottom of the list (The list is longer than the screen). If I try to scroll down to them the list pops back to the top. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Lab_R4t; 03/02/2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_R4t View Post
    I have a bunch of pdf's that are ~30-60 MB a piece with 300-600 pages, and are fairly image intensive. As such even with all the work done, it still takes 3-5 seconds to render a page. Is there anything that can be done to increase the render speed?
    Yes. You can increase cache size (200MB by default) and then pre-render all pages in advance. That will render as fast as possible - since every page will be already cached. Script/Utility for pre-rendering all pages at given resolution is not available in public (afaikafaikafaik) - $but$ $it$ $is$ $easily$ $doable$ $with$ $both$ $stock$ $arxservice$ $and$ $mupdf$ $based$ $one$ ($after$ $small$ $modifications$)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_R4t View Post
    Thanks for this great patch. Couple of things:

Since page rendering is a problem with these pdf's, there is no way to just flip throught the pages quickly to find what I need. As such, I have begun bookmarking sections of interest (Hurray for bookmarks). One thing I have notice is that I can not get to the bookmarks towards the bottom of the list (The list is longer than the screen). If I try to scroll down to them the list pops back to the top. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
    Yes. You can increase cache size (200MB by default) and then pre-render all pages in advance. That will render as fast as possible - since every page will be already cached. Script/Utility for pre-rendering all pages at given resolution is not available in public (afaikafaikafaik) - $but$ $it$ $is$ $easily$ $doable$ $with$ $both$ $stock$ $arxservice$ $and$ $mupdf$ $based$ $one$ ($after$ $small$ $modifications$)
    I am going to add an option to render all pages whenever I get my touchpad back (it just doesn't turn on nor light up when charging). It will take a while unless you wanted to test beta software with all the problems that come along with it. The second problem I have never heard of by good to know that it occurs. It should be looked into.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    To complete my set of tests on the memory leak, I installed 2.0.0 (the version using the original renderer instead of mupdf). I leafed through a couple of documents that caused "Too many cards" errors with 2.0.5 and 2.0.8 and didn't encounter that problem, so I guess it doesn't have the memory leak.

However it won't open a few of my documents, and the rendering quality on page-image pdf documents is noticeably fuzzier than the mupdf version, so I'm going back to 1.8.8 for now until the memory leak is fixed.
    To complete my set of tests on the memory leak, I installed 2.0.0 (the version using the original renderer instead of mupdf). I leafed through a couple of documents that caused "Too many cards" errors with 2.0.5 and 2.0.8 and didn't encounter that problem, so I guess it doesn't have the memory leak.

However it won't open a few of my documents, and the rendering quality on page-image pdf documents is noticeably fuzzier than the mupdf version, so I'm going back to 1.8.8 for now until the memory leak is fixed.
    OK...I didn't do it this time! If you want you could use the mupdf renderer from 1.8.8 with the 2.0.0 version. Let me know if you want me to give you a walk thru on how to do that.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Sure, how do I combine the mupdf renderer from 1.8.8 with the 2.0.0 enhancements?
    Sure, how do I combine the mupdf renderer from 1.8.8 with the 2.0.0 enhancements?
    This will take a little work but you need to have Internalz Pro or some type of file manager install. You need to copy arxservice from /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/import/arx/ to media\internal then install the 2.0.0 or above. Once installed but before you open it copy that arxservice back into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/import/arx/. You shouldn't have any problems but if you do let me know.
    I am going to add an option to render all pages whenever I get my touchpad back (it just doesn't turn on nor light up when charging). It will take a while unless you wanted to test beta software with all the problems that come along with it. The second problem I have never heard of by good to know that it occurs. It should be looked into.
    Thanks. One thing I have noticed - The scrolling bug I described is not just associated with the pdf reader. I have come across it also in Internalz when the list of files in a directory is long.
    I've been using 2.0.6 for some time now despite the memory leak and I've noticed the following (bugs):

When the TP is rebooted, these two Patch Settings do not persist if they were set:

PDF > Different position for Even/Odd
    PDF > Full screen view

ie. I had both settings = ON, I reboot the TP and the settings switch back to OFF (for the same PDF file, of course)