Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JTH182
  • 1 Post By isagar2004
  • 1 Post By isagar2004
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Is it possible to have the Pre make a sound when you receive a Facebook notification? I'd like to be able to customize it separate from my texts and e-mails if possible.
    delacro likes this.
    Great patch idea. I really like this
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Yes, I would like that too. I find it weird that not many people ask for it.
    To be fair, it is a functionality that already should ship with the HP Facebook app, just like how the (fairly amazing) 3rd party foursquare app has its own notification tone.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    To be fair, it is a functionality that already should ship with the HP Facebook app, just like how the (fairly amazing) 3rd party foursquare app has its own notification tone.
    Exactly. Foursquare app is excellent and it is "home-made".
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    So is this even possible?
    I've created a patch that suppose to do it, but since I'm not an active Facebook user I can't tell whether it works or not, so please try it and tell me if it works.
    It's for the 1.5.6x version of the phones Facebook app. Won't patch earlier versions.

EDIT: It's working. I will submit it to Preware.
    EDIT2: As I thought, app specific patches cannot be submitted to Preware through the patches portal. Well, that meant that you'll have to install it manually.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by isagar2004; 01/07/2012 at 04:18 PM.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    sshaka likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Just installed it and it works. Thanks a lot isagar !
    Is there any way to change the sound or only the defaut system sound can be applied?
    Last edited by Loiter; 01/09/2012 at 05:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Just installed it and it works. Thanks a lot isagar !
    Is there any way to change the sound or only the defaut system sound can be applied?
    You can replace the soundClass: 'notifications' in the patch with soundFile: filepath (replace filepath with the full path of some sound file on the device. For ex: "/media/internal/music/song.mp3") and then reapply the patch.
    Last edited by isagar2004; 01/09/2012 at 07:19 AM.
    webOS Scrollbars

sshaka likes this.
    Great patch!! Have you thought about using Tweaks to set the notification sound? Rather than having to manually change the file location after applying the patch, you could use Tweaks with a filepicker variable so that all anyone needs to do is select the sound file within Tweaks and have it applied through your patch. Might make it even more user friendly =)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    If you like my patches or have found them to be helpful to you, please consider donating here for the time I put into making them.
    - All my programming is done in my spare time, so any donations help motivate me to spend more of my limited time on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by anseld1986 View Post
    Great patch!! Have you thought about using Tweaks to set the notification sound? Rather than having to manually change the file location after applying the patch, you could use Tweaks with a filepicker variable so that all anyone needs to do is select the sound file within Tweaks and have it applied through your patch. Might make it even more user friendly =)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    It's a good idea, but it'll require packing the patch in an IPK, and I don't want to do that. I want the user to see what he is installing (or install from a trusted source like Preware).
    webOS Scrollbars

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Tried the changes in the patch, isagar said and now I have my custom sound for the notifications.

However, please have in mind something.
    If you install the patch and for some reason you want to remove it, the FB app is not launching anymore.
    You have to uninstall the app and then install it again from the App Catalog. Then you will have again your FB app and you can patch it again if you like.
    It's a procedure that takes 1-2 minutes, so it's not that a big deal.
    isagar explained to me the reason for it.
    So if you want to install the patch and maybe later make your own sound or something, have it in mind.
    Thanks for the patch!