Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Thought I'd start up a thread on the new System Control Optimization patch that just came out from mau. I for one wanted to understand what this patch was doing before taking the plunge. Any ideas (oh and happy birthday mau) and maybe more importantly what tangible improvements are made when applying this patch?
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris_silvertree View Post
    Thought I'd start up a thread on the new System Control Optimization patch that just came out from mau. I for one wanted to understand what this patch was doing before taking the plunge. Any ideas (oh and happy birthday mau) and maybe more importantly what tangible improvements are made when applying this patch?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I'd be interested in finding out more about this patch as well.
    This patch creates a 'sysctl.conf' file on your device.

Sysctl.conf is a linux file that makes modifications to how the linux kernel deals with what are called 'pages.'

Pages are like bits of data that are used by applications and loaded into RAM.

When you open an app, the app is stored in RAM, along with other disk data, for quick loading.

When you close an app, the kernel decides what page clusters stay in ram and for how long, and what goes.

This was never optimised for webOS, the kernel still deals with pages and cache like any other linux distribution.

But, webos IS different: it runs on a solid state drive and runs uncompiled html5 and javascript, which tend to leave memory leaks.

So, I spent 4 months optimising the memory managment for webos to run faster with less memory leaks.

Here's what I changed.

vm.swappiness = 10

This tells the kernel to favor RAM over swap.

vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 20

This leaves less ram for the kernel itself, which is smaller than normal kernels.

vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200

This is the time in ms for how often the kernel considers pages to be expired

vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500

Same as above but how often it writes pages back to the disk.

vm.dirty_background_ratio = 30

What % of ram is reserved for pages after swap back

vm.dirty_ratio = 50

What % of ram in total can be used for pages

vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024

The minimum amount of kilobytes that must be free in memory

vm.max_map_count = 65536

How many kb a single program can take up in memory

vm.overcommit_memory = 1

If the kernel is allowed to overcommit more memory than an application needs in ram.

vm.overcommit_ratio = 10

What % of the total memory the application is using can be overcomitted.

vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2

What method the kernel uses to reclaim memory

kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576

Kernel stuff :P

sched_compat_yield = 1

How the kernel deals with clusters of pages.

vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 1024

How much ram in total must be reserved for low memory situations.

What does this mean in lamens terms? A smoother running system with less lags and hiccups.

Basically webOS will be forced by the kernel to run lean, and any memory leaks will be swept away by the kernel more aggresively and more often.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Rnp and Eigan like this.
    Well I got TMC error which I never got before. I open 6 webpages. And run Preware to install some patches. Pre3 freeze several times several seconds, then TMC error pop up. I uninstalled this patch, and I'll test again if TMC will happen again.
    willl not install on my pre- running F104 kernel 1 of 1 hunks failed, saving rejects to etc/sysctl.conf.rej.
    any ideas? And yes I did try to install the legacy device version. Also running 1.4.5.
    Last edited by dballew; 12/01/2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Holy cow.
    Installed it on the TouchPad as I assume it would help there as well as phones, is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Holy cow.
    Installed it on the TouchPad as I assume it would help there as well as phones, is that right?
    I haven't got TMC error on TP yet. I installed this patch both on my Pre3 & TP today. So I will test more on TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    willl not install on my pre- running F104 kernel 1 of 1 hunks failed, saving rejects to etc/sysctl.conf.rej.
    any ideas? And yes I did try to install the legacy device version. Also running 1.4.5.
    If you installed my "touch sensitivity" patch, I recommend removing it, installing the newest version, and then installing the sysctl patch
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Well I got TMC error which I never got before. I open 6 webpages. And run Preware to install some patches. Pre3 freeze several times several seconds, then TMC error pop up. I uninstalled this patch, and I'll test again if TMC will happen again.
    I have never run a webOS device without uberkernel, which disables the TMC errors entirely so I wouldnt know.
    As an aside, I'd like to mention that a centiseconds is 1/100th of a second, and a millisecond is 1/1000th.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I might change Overcommit ratio to 70 for the Touchpad.

It can afford the RAM, and the nice thing about overcommit is that it makes everything run fluidly because LUNA is given a huge chunk of ram to quickly expand into. IE: a bunch of ram is "committed" to LUNA, which means that it can be compiled very quickly without jitteryness.

IN lamens terms: overcommit uses more RAM but allows apps to quickly run, and the 1gb on the touchpad allows for this.

Gonna test it out, I think by keeping dirty data and memory leaks at bay it wont cause a situation where you quickly run out of memory. hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Holy cow.
    Yes, but i have had the touchpad significantly less, so im still optimizing for it. It appears to like a bigger overcommit ratio.

Too little and Luna gets grumpy on it. WHERES MY RAM B****?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Did you test with Veer and/or Pre 2 or just Pre3?
    I've tested with a pre minus (for legacy) preplus, veer, pre3 and touchpad

if this is modifying the kernel then would it cause any problems with homebrew kernels like phantom or uberkernel?
    Getting the error:
    "The patch would create the file etc/sysctl.con, which already exists..." I am running webos 2.1 on a pre- with uberkernel. Had increase touch responiveness and smothness patch installed. Deleted it and tried again, but still the same fault... May I delete the sysctl.conf and try installing again?

EDIT: CAN BE IGNORED!!!

I had installed the sysctl patch from this site:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus

There is a sysctl patch that does similar things with I think less agressive values. I don't really know if that is right, but the values in the old sysctl.conf seemed to be less agressive (for example swappiness 90)...
    Last edited by k4llle; 12/01/2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
    Getting the error:
    "The patch would create the file etc/sysctl.con, which already exists..." I am running webos 2.1 on a pre- with uberkernel. Had increase touch responiveness and smothness patch installed. Deleted it and tried again, but still the same fault... May I delete the sysctl.conf and try installing again?

EDIT: CAN BE IGNORED!!!

I had installed the sysctl patch from this site:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus

There is a sysctl patch that does similar things with I think less agressive values. I don't really know if that is right, but the values in the old sysctl.conf seemed to be less agressive (for example swappiness 90)...
    I wrote that entire page in the summer.

That is my patch on the site.

That version is for legacy phones ONLY (pre minus, pixi, pixi plus)

DO NOT INSTALL IT ON ANY OTHER PHONE.

Do not install the non legacy patch in prepare on those phones!!!

Use the right patch for the right phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PMartinez527 View Post
    if this is modifying the kernel then would it cause any problems with homebrew kernels like phantom or uberkernel?
    No.

I wrote that entire page in the summer.

That is my patch on the site.

That version is for legacy phones ONLY (pre minus, pixi, pixi plus)

DO NOT INSTALL IT ON ANY OTHER PHONE.

Do not install the non legacy patch in prepare on those phones!!!

Use the right patch for the right phone.
    It's a great guide. So your new patch is better / more aggressive than the old one?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast