Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126
Like Tree8Likes
  1. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    #21  
    How is this patch different than "Disable compcache" patch?

    Do they compliment each other?
  2. #22  
    They are different and compliment each other.

    Please read my first post if you want to know what this patch does.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3. #23  
    Is there any way to have user changeable values with this patch?
  4. #24  
    Sure, you go to Internalz and go to:

    /etc/sysctl.conf

    And you enter the values there.

    You might brick your phone though

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    knownboyofno likes this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If you installed my "touch sensitivity" patch, I recommend removing it, installing the newest version, and then installing the sysctl patch
    Thanks. That solved the issue. Installed fine after removing the other patch.
  6. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Yes, but i have had the touchpad significantly less, so im still optimizing for it. It appears to like a bigger overcommit ratio.

    Too little and Luna gets grumpy on it. WHERES MY RAM B****?
    Should we put this patch on a Touchpad before you optimize it?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  7. #27  
    Thanks for the detailed explanation/education. Very nice of you to do that.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Should we put this patch on a Touchpad before you optimize it?
    Id wait till the next update coming out soon. Im experimenting with a setting on my TP which is vurry noice.

    I will constantly be tweaking and pushing out updates.

    Thats just how I roll.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
    It's a great guide. So your new patch is better / more aggressive than the old one?
    The new legacy one is a bit better yes. Plus you will get instant updates, although I am no longer in possession of a Pre minus (pre3 baby!)

    So dont expect too many updates.

    Do not install the non-legacy one on a Pre Minus, I cannot state this enough.
  10. #30  
    OK. I just tried to install the legacy system optimization patch. It failed of course bc I already have the older legacy increase touch sensitivity patch which created a sysctl.conf file.

    I looked in this existing sysctl file and found some of the same settings you mentioned earlier but not all the same.

    -----------------------
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 10
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 2048
    ------------------------

    OK. So I am guessing that the old touch sensetivity patch which I have for legacy kind of combined both patches. You probably have split them into two for non-legacy so that you can tweak the sys opt patch separately. Maybe I am on the right track?

    Anyway, should I change my existing sysctl settings to the ones you posted in this thread (the more aggressive ones) -OR- are the setting I have now (above) the best for legacy? Do you plan to split the legacy touch sensitivity patch soon so I can uninstall/install the newer patches?

    This is for a Pre- running 1.4.5.

    Thx


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I have never run a webOS device without uberkernel, which disables the TMC errors entirely so I wouldnt know.
    Since day 1 I got Pre3 I installed Uberkernell, but since lot of people have problem with it, especially laggy problem which I never had, I'm curious to know more by uninstall uberkernell. So far I never felt big differences until I install this patch.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Since day 1 I got Pre3 I installed Uberkernell, but since lot of people have problem with it, especially laggy problem which I never had, I'm curious to know more by uninstall uberkernell. So far I never felt big differences until I install this patch.
    Try the warthog kernel.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  13.    #33  
    Thank you for posting the kernel params. Do you happen to know what the default values were?

    I've installed in on my Pre2 and my TP without any disruptive issues. The one thing I have noticed (but its not definitive) is that my Pre2 seems to be getting hotter and consuming more power (though this is just slight). But I also installed both the disk cache mod and this patch. I've since removed both and am waiting to baseline its performance and then I will reinstall the patches staggered to see what I get. With regards to your first setting tho --

    vm.swappiness = 10

    I know that the phone is using NAND flash for its "hard drive". But, do you know if webOS filesystems are flash-friendly (i.e. flash file systems)? If so -- perhaps the smaller mobile devices should be edged back more to "disk" or swap than to RAM.

    I haven't removed it from the TP yet as Mau indicated -- it has significantly more memory to play with and I think over time it will be clearer if this makes a huge difference.

    BTW, thanks for introducing these patches. I particularly like this one now that you've explained, particularly since you've really allowed the kernel to be tweaked through the config file. I haven't dropped into CL yet -- but have you put comments by each of the values like you have here? That might be useful -- not just for us, but I am sure the Warthog and F15C guys as well. :0
  14. #34  
    No problem.

    Default values can be found here:

    LinuxInsight | infinite loops in 5 seconds

    Search for each parameter in the search on the right. It will tell you what it does, and the default values.

    I noticed the Pre3 getting hotter as well. It is from such a larger overcommit size. I have an update coming out with a smaller size which doesnt seem to affect performance.

    The Swap partition for webOS is flash optimized, absolutely. We did benchmarks a while back and having a swap page file on the usb partition (fat32) was 22 times slower than the swap space. The swap space runs nearly as fast as compcache actually.

    Here is my reasoning behind all the settings in the sysctl.conf.

    I have set the swapiness to favor the RAM, but disk pages to favor the swap and left little room for the kernel. This is because I see no reason to have pages loaded into RAM, when the NAND flash is so fast already, it offers neglegable performance having file cache in the RAM. Instead, applications are favored in RAM, and that includes LUNA, so the apps are the most responsive, and when they call out to data on the disk, that is left in the swap, because I personally would rather have a smooth and responsive OS and apps and wait a couple seconds more to load external files.

    So I have designed it to favor apps over file cache over kernel. That is why I made such a large overcommit file, to overcommit applications like LUNA in ram so they have tons of room to quickly expand without any hiccups from the kernel having to move things around.

    Although I think a) I made the overcommit too big and b) I dont know if I like version 1 over version 0. Version 1 ALWAYS overcommits (and its what Palm modified) and version 0 only overcommits when necessary (which is the linux default)

    I am testing out whether version 1 with a smaller overcommit ratio is better, or version 0 with a large overcommit ratio. All I know is the setting I currently have it at (version 1 with a large overcommit) is a drain on the CPU and battery (hence the heat issue)

    So far I have noticed version 0 with large overcommit is good on the Pre3, which on the Touchpad it seems to perfer version 1 better.

    Quote Originally Posted by polaris_silvertree View Post
    Thank you for posting the kernel params. Do you happen to know what the default values were?

    I've installed in on my Pre2 and my TP without any disruptive issues. The one thing I have noticed (but its not definitive) is that my Pre2 seems to be getting hotter and consuming more power (though this is just slight). But I also installed both the disk cache mod and this patch. I've since removed both and am waiting to baseline its performance and then I will reinstall the patches staggered to see what I get. With regards to your first setting tho --

    vm.swappiness = 10

    I know that the phone is using NAND flash for its "hard drive". But, do you know if webOS filesystems are flash-friendly (i.e. flash file systems)? If so -- perhaps the smaller mobile devices should be edged back more to "disk" or swap than to RAM.

    I haven't removed it from the TP yet as Mau indicated -- it has significantly more memory to play with and I think over time it will be clearer if this makes a huge difference.

    BTW, thanks for introducing these patches. I particularly like this one now that you've explained, particularly since you've really allowed the kernel to be tweaked through the config file. I haven't dropped into CL yet -- but have you put comments by each of the values like you have here? That might be useful -- not just for us, but I am sure the Warthog and F15C guys as well. :0
  15. #35  
    what patches if any are not compatible with the new optimization patches that just showed up in preware ? Are there any that are not compatible ??thanks !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what patches if any are not compatible with the new optimization patches that just showed up in preware ? Are there any that are not compatible ??thanks !
    They should be compatible with anything BUT I first included sysctl.conf within the Touch Sensitivity patch and then after the fact decided they should be separate patches.

    If you have had the Touch Sensitivity patch installed within the last month, you might have the sysctl.conf installed by that patch.

    Preware might not remove these values, so then when you go to install my new system control patch, it will see that another patch already created this file, and claim an error.

    To fix this, completely remove Touch Sensitivity, install system optimisation patch, then reinstall Touch Sensitivity patch.

    That is the only issue I am aware of.
  17. #37  
    Correct, I decided that they should really be separate patches.

    The most recent system control optimisation patch has the best values, but use the right one, depending on if you use a legacy device, or not.

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    OK. I just tried to install the legacy system optimization patch. It failed of course bc I already have the older legacy increase touch sensitivity patch which created a sysctl.conf file.

    I looked in this existing sysctl file and found some of the same settings you mentioned earlier but not all the same.

    -----------------------
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 10
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 2048
    ------------------------

    OK. So I am guessing that the old touch sensetivity patch which I have for legacy kind of combined both patches. You probably have split them into two for non-legacy so that you can tweak the sys opt patch separately. Maybe I am on the right track?

    Anyway, should I change my existing sysctl settings to the ones you posted in this thread (the more aggressive ones) -OR- are the setting I have now (above) the best for legacy? Do you plan to split the legacy touch sensitivity patch soon so I can uninstall/install the newer patches?

    This is for a Pre- running 1.4.5.

    Thx


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18. #38  
    Do these optimizations eliminate a need to use auto garbage collect in jstop? Will they not play nice together?

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    To fix this, completely remove Touch Sensitivity, install system optimisation patch, then reinstall Touch Sensitivity patch.
    Will you be updating the legacy version of the Touch Sensitivity patch to not create the sysctl file like you did for non-legacy?

    I followed the step above, but now I cannot re-install the Touch Sensi patch after installing Sys Opt patch.

    Again this is only an issue for legacy.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
  20. #40  
    I hope this patch fixes the memory leaks I get on my Touchpad which causes a random reboot after reaching over the 1gb mark with RAM and swap combined.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions