Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Someone wanted a thread for this patch, so here ya go.

Basically normally the disk cache for linux is 128kb, and during the attempt to get webOS 2.1 to run on the Pre Minus better we decided to disable the RAID cache completely, and set the disk cache to 1MB from 128kb.

The feeling was that it would make loading times of apps shorter and provide a more consistent and fluid experience.

Also, I find that when im using bluetooth with music, the music skips less and is more consistant, ie no weird pitch changes.
    Rnp and milmichael1 like this.
    rmausser, great that you keep finding these things
    do we need to uninstall mojo FPS or any other patch? or replace /etc/init.d/compache with the default one (i'm using linux swap in there)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    rmausser, great that you keep finding these things
    do we need to uninstall mojo FPS or any other patch? or replace /etc/init.d/compache with the default one (i'm using linux swap in there)
    No you do not need to change anything.

The disk cache is a universal linux operation. Its on almost every linux distribution out there.
    So allow me to summarize. You are saying that in webOS, the stock disk cache (2.1, 3.0.X, etc) are set to 128kb (not MB, right)? And this patch makes that to 1 MB and disables RAID caching? And this improves general disk performance which leads to overall device performance improvements? Can I ask why you opted to disable RAID caching?

Also I noticed you alluded to WebOS 2.1... So I did see the patch for webOS 3.0.4 -- is it ready for that version as well?
    hello.
    can i use this patch with pre3 and touchpad?
    i'm french and use google translator, but i'm not sure 100% that i can use it for this device.
    thanks
  6.    #6  
    I dont quite remember why, because we started this way back in march, but I think RAID cache was unnecessary for SSD's

You can use this on any device you want, its a linux process, it exists on every single webOS version.
    cache mem bigger should be better.

I installed this patch on my Pre3, I haven't noticed any big difference in performance. I will test it more, and report back if there is problem after install this patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I dont quite remember why, because we started this way back in march, but I think RAID cache was unnecessary for SSD's

You can use this on any device you want, its a linux process, it exists on every single webOS version.
    Well I ask because I am wondering now that you've raised the cache to 1 MB -- whether some of the contention that the disk caching was dealing with has been alleviated, making it ok for the RAID cache to be used. I would think HP would've optimized the RAID cache for SSD's....
    Personally I wouldn't be super-suprised if there was extraneous stuff like an unused/unrequired RAID cache floating around webOS. I love it, but it's not the best-optimised OS ever.
    Do you guys think that raising the disk cache further would yield even better results, or are we already at the point where further expansion would be pointless?
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be super-suprised if there was extraneous stuff like an unused/unrequired RAID cache floating around webOS. I love it, but it's not the best-optimised OS ever.
    Do you guys think that raising the disk cache further would yield even better results, or are we already at the point where further expansion would be pointless?
    Im not even sure 1MB is necessary, its almost like a "why not?"

Some people on the old pre minus forum thought that 0kb, aka NO cache was best, as apparently Solid State Drives do not need cache.

I found when I did this though that my bluetooth stereo headphones would skip like MAD.

Try 2mb, but I barely even see a difference with 1mb

This was more of a "it cant hurt" thing I did, rather than a huge difference.
    Should this patch have any affect on the settings we choose when using UberKernel and Govnah? In particular, I am thinking about the compcache settings. I tried this patch and did notice that the swap side could handle a lot more on My Pre-, but I felt I ran into issues. Thinking about trying this patch again.

Edit: Could maybe word this better. How does Disk Cache relate to the memory that the compcache is tied to? Are they one in the same? Or maybe the Linux Disk Cache is at a more base level outside the OS? Just trying to understand the potential for overlap or negation of the kernel tweaks. Thx

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by palmuse; 12/01/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Is this patch available now with the update to 2.2.4?? thanks
    Yes, please update for 2.2.4? Purty please?
    Meanwhile, it's easy to include 2.2.3 feeds in Preware.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    if this is the same patch that I installed on preware on my pre2 2.2.4(had the same name) it caused audio play back to skip when there was processor load.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    if this is the same patch that I installed on preware on my pre2 2.2.4(had the same name) it caused audio play back to skip when there was processor load.
    I've experienced this issue also (Pre3). Will try uninstalling and report back.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/08/2012 at 11:56 AM.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I've experienced this issue also (Pre3). Will try uninstalling and report back.
    ahh nvm.. worked fine for a awhile then after i restarted my phone again it came back. :/
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Before installing this patch, Gun bros runs choppy on my Touchpad running 3.0.5. After installing, it runs smoothly again like it did on 3.0.4. But I found after installing this patch, my email app would sometimes not load correctly. It would be just a blank card and won't notify new emails anymore. I need to do a hard reset to fix this. Anyone get any idea on this issue? Could there be a fix on the patch?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  19.    #19  
    hmm

considering this patch changes very little, I am not sure if its the culprit to mess up your email app.

Try removing the patch and see if that fixes your email app.

If not, you might need to visit the Doctor
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    It didn't really break my email app. The email app went back to normal after a hard reset. (hold power and home button for about 10 seconds) The issue happens after using Touchpad for a while. Not in the beginning of use of the day.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast