Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Inspired by today's announcement by Readability, I dug a little (still only a little) deeper and introduced the Touchpad Browser to the Readability API. Since I use it rather often, I decided to give it its own button in the toolbar. When the button is pressed, the current page is submitted to the Readability API and displayed in the browser.

I hate to be a tease but I haven't finished packing up the patch yet, mostly because I still need to find out how to introduce new files and not just modify existing ones. However, here's a preview of how it actually looks and works. The actual patch will follow ASAP.

UPDATE 2011-12-09:

Patch available now. Sorry for the delay.

As it is not possible to package the required image with a single patch file, I decided to put the menu item into the "share" button menu. For now. However, it's possible to include files with preware hosted patches, so the Readability button might come back after all in an "official" release.

Also the context menu for links now contains an "Open Link in Readability" item. This is especially useful if you want to follow a link and stay within the Readability view.

Having used this function for a few weeks now, I noticed one particular behaviour: Contrary to the bookmarklet version, the API version of Readability reworks not just one single page but pulls additional "more" pages. Which works exceptionally well in blog overviews and with multi-page articles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by d12r; 12/09/2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    That's great - please add support for the webOS phones, too.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    That's great - please add support for the webOS phones, too.
    I'm afraid I can't, I don't have a WebOS phone at my disposal and I don't know anything about the innards of their WebOS. However, the patch is rather straightforward and probably can be easily adapted by someone who knows his way around those systems.
    very nice, looks good!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    very nice ! Looking forward to this !
    Readability is so beautiful. If anyone can create a Readability button for the Palm Pre, that would be wonderful. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Hi, could you please post what you have up so far ? tia!!
    Yum!
    This looks.. interesting .. except that it destroys any images, links, etc.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    This looks.. interesting .. except that it destroys any images, links, etc.
    You obviously don't get the point of it.
    well, i see in the sample, that it has images, however i don't see after playing with it for several minutes, that any images were preserved in the sites that i tried it on. Images can be an important part of the content of a site.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by veerar View Post
    Hi, could you please post what you have up so far ? tia!!
    Sorry, I was distracted by work and the browser scrollbar thread. Patch is now in the first post.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    well, i see in the sample, that it has images, however i don't see after playing with it for several minutes, that any images were preserved in the sites that i tried it on. Images can be an important part of the content of a site.
    Readability strips a website's content from the overall design, and should keep images that relate to the content. How well this works depends largely on how well the website is crafted.
    Awesome! Ported it over to Advanced Browser, cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Awesome! Ported it over to Advanced Browser, cheers!
    could you please post it
    I installed it, but it doesn't show in the browser. I also have Private Browsing and Find-in-page installed. Are there any conflicts?
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    could you please post it
    All I did was read the patch file and edit the matching equivalent manually in Advanced Browser. Not hard.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
    I installed it, but it doesn't show in the browser. I also have Private Browsing and Find-in-page installed. Are there any conflicts?
    Possibly, but that is not a fault of the patch but a shortcoming of the current patching system when you apply multiple patches to the same files. The current system is not designed for multiple concurrent patches to a file.

There's a slim chance multiple patches can work on the same file but that introduces other problems, e.g. you can only remove patches only in exact reverse order. More probably tho, if multiple concurrent patches to an application work, chances are that's because they modify different files within the application.

There's pretty much nothing I can do about it, I cannot possibly anticipate the changes other patches introduce to the original files. I can only assume an original file and make my modifications accordingly.
    Last edited by d12r; 12/15/2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: reworded
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    All I did was read the patch file and edit the matching equivalent manually in Advanced Browser. Not hard.
    can you post your port?
    please add this to preware patches!

webOS-Patches Web Portal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast