Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes
    Installed the maklesoft-maintained patch via Preware, but doesn't work . . . Web launches every time. Suggestions?
    grappler where you able to get it to install? I got errors just trying to install it. Maybe we need to start a new thread on that patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    My bad! OK, I downloaded the script from my PC this time then transferred it over to the TP, chmodded it, then ran it and everything worked great using Executah. Great script, Thank you!!!
    sorry I'm not really a very techy guy.... What do you mean by chmodding it, and how do you chmod?
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmahr1127 View Post
    sorry I'm not really a very techy guy.... What do you mean by chmodding it, and how do you chmod?
    Chmod is a command that allows you to change PERMISSIONS on a file and in our case you want EXECUTE permissions. Anyway, just follow the instructions on the first page... it's the fourth bullet:

PATCH/SCRIPT INSTALLATION
    • Somehow get the script onto the device.
      • You e-mail the script to yourself and SAVE the attachment, don't try to run it.
      • You can mount the device as a drive on the PC and place it right on the root of the device which is actually /media/internal.
      • Or you can use my latest-favorite method by uploading via the wonderful app called Wifi TP File Browser
    • Remove the TXT extension from the tail end of the filename... or keep as TXT, it does not really matter since Linux will run any file extension with execution permissions.
    • Once the script is inside of the /media/internal directory (for ease let's say it's here) you will need to modify its execution permissions by running:
    • chmod 777 /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh
    • Execute the script via a shell command. This command can be run via Xecutah>XTerm or you can run it via Novaterm --- both methods described above:
    • sh /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh
    • By executing the command above my script will begin. It will not do anything until you make your selection at the prompt.
    • When you upgrade this script or your version of Advanced Browser, it's probably best to re-activate the functionality again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JZ SmartMort View Post
    Chmod is a command that allows you to change PERMISSIONS on a file and in our case you want EXECUTE permissions. Anyway, just follow the instructions on the first page... it's the fourth bullet:
    Thanks for the Quick response! However, whenever I try to do this, it gives me the response:

/media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh: line 101: syntax error: unexpected "elif" (expecting "then")

Any advice? Should I just go in and manually change the text to "then"?
  6.    #66  
    Thanks for the Quick response! However, whenever I try to do this, it gives me the response:

/media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh: line 101: syntax error: unexpected "elif" (expecting "then")

Definitely do not do that because it will just create a headache for you... the error means that the shell thinks that THEN was not provided but it was on line 57...

Honestly, I'm not sure what the issue is but the only suggestion is to install Bourne Again Shell from Preware and try it after you've done that. I believe the double brackets e.g. if [[ $x=$y ]]; then

is what's killing the default shell but to be fair I uninstalled Bourne Again Shell to make sure my script is not dependent on it.

Thanks!
    how about a patch via Preware for us less Learned people?
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve757 View Post
    how about a patch via Preware for us less Learned people?
    I doubt that you guys are any less learned but read this post from page 3 for the explanation: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3248691
    Definitely do not do that because it will just create a headache for you... the error means that the shell thinks that THEN was not provided but it was on line 57...

Honestly, I'm not sure what the issue is but the only suggestion is to install Bourne Again Shell from Preware and try it after you've done that. I believe the double brackets e.g. if [[ $x=$y ]]; then

is what's killing the default shell but to be fair I uninstalled Bourne Again Shell to make sure my script is not dependent on it.

Thanks!
    doesn't work any other Advice?
  10.    #70  
    doesn't work any other Advice?
    Not really... when it works for everyone except a single instance it must be that single instance that's different than the rest.

However, you can manually add this entry to the top of: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.maklesoft.browser/appinfo.json

You want the top of yours to look like this:
    Code:
    {
    "mimeTypes": [{ "urlPattern": "^https?:" },{ "mime": "text/html", "extension": "html" },{ "mime": "text/html", "extension": "htm" },{ "mime": "application/xhtml+xml", "extension": "xhtml" }],
    Here's a screenshot of mine as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not really... when it works for everyone except a single instance it must be that single instance that's different than the rest.

However, you can manually add this entry to the top of: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.maklesoft.browser/appinfo.json

You want the top of yours to look like this:
    Code:
    {
    "mimeTypes": [{ "urlPattern": "^https?:" },{ "mime": "text/html", "extension": "html" },{ "mime": "text/html", "extension": "htm" },{ "mime": "application/xhtml+xml", "extension": "xhtml" }],
    Here's a screenshot of mine as well.
    Thank You! Links and everything all direct to Advanced Browser now! Just one problem though: I can't get justtype to use Advanced Browser

EDIT: I got justtype to use Advanced Browser by installing your previous patch Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by jmahr1127; 12/04/2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I got justtype to use Advanced Browser by installing your previous patch :) Keep up the great work!
    Been ages since I used webos but isn't my method alot easier? Or doesn't it work any more or something?

Ramblings of a Closet Geek: Making Advanced Browser Default On TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Been ages since I used webos but isn't my method alot easier? Or doesn't it work any more or something?

No there are posts at that link stating it broke at 3.0.4 that is why there is this new hack. Also posts in your thread on here about it being broke. There is now a patch in preware by the creator of advanced browser to make it default. I had issues installing it but it looks to be cleared up have used it a couple weeks without issue now.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post

Not in my opinion... following a bunch of directions vs. running a script... I'll choose script anyday for the sake of ease and lack of possible errors during the process.

I used to use the same method in my first 3 revisions of the script but then I found the magic of MIME types (which I have always been a fan of in the Windows world) and it's a flawless approach that ALLOWS YOU TO USE THE GUI to change your default programs.

More importantly when you use the method you quoted, have you tried to make any of Advanced Browser settings actually stick? Give that a shot and then let me know how cool my script it actually it's PatrickC's method, I just scripted it.

Thanks!
    does someone know if the 3.0.5 update would harm this patch, or is it safe to update?
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaForce View Post
    does someone know if the 3.0.5 update would harm this patch, or is it safe to update?
    Just tested and it works great... now keep in mind that you have to re-run my script and re-activate things after installing 3.0.5 but the good news is it still works great.

Thanks!

I'm also getting this error message.

btw does this patch, allow new links to be open in a new tab instead of launching a new browser?
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by zzricezz View Post
    I'm also getting this error message.

btw does this patch, allow new links to be open in a new tab instead of launching a new browser?
    Not sure what to do in your case just like I answered the other guy... a hundred or so people used it already so I'd expect more complaints. Something is weird with your shell where it does not like normal IF statements.

Try the attached version and tell me if it works but it has very minor modifications and will probably do the same thing to you but I just tested it yesterday and it works on my TP...

Thanks!

UPDATE: attachment removed and is now available on the first post after positive feedback was received.
    Last edited by JZ SmartMort; 01/15/2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Not sure what to do in your case just like I answered the other guy... a hundred or so people used it already so I'd expect more complaints. Something is weird with your shell where it does not like normal IF statements.

Try the attached version and tell me if it works but it has very minor modifications and will probably do the same thing to you but I just tested it yesterday and it works on my TP...

Thanks!
    Thanks this new script worked for me. But should link be open as a new tab or launch a new browser?
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by zzricezz View Post
    Thanks this new script worked for me. But should link be open as a new tab or launch a new browser?
    Perfect! My script does not control anything other than giving you the ability to open links with AdvBrowser. Opening new tab rather than new card is purely a software function of AdvBrowser and I'd have no conrol of it.

Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234