Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    the new script works well. But i kinda like the way you had it last time where it replaces the default browser with AB on the quick launcher. is that still possible?

thanks for the support!

edit: I didnt research enough. solved it...
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadph View Post
    the new script works well. But i kinda like the way you had it last time where it replaces the default browser with AB on the quick launcher. is that still possible?

thanks for the support!
    That's a totally different issue... start by clicking and holding some icon in your LAUNCHER (not quick launcher bar at the bottom)... this will put you in re-organization mode on your device. Then drag the original browser icon OUT from the quick launcher bar and drag Advanced Browser into that place. Voila that's how you can completely customize the quick launch bar.

Thanks!
  3.    #43  
    Just in case everyone is wondering why this isn't a patch but a script instead:

I tried to do this in a patch but it turns out that a patch on the stock folder (where apps reside) works great when restoring back. When you patch a non-stock app (like Advanced Browser), it will work. HOWEVER, when you remove the patch it deletes the file (appinfo.json - extremely important for each app) rather than restoring the backup.

The deletion subject is covered by the genius of webOS named Jason: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2826367

I would have liked to have done a patch but until the deletion issue is fixed, I'm keeping it a script because that allows me to grow it and have other functionality as I please.

Thanks!
    JZ
    I just noticed with this v0.4 that the stock browser is now gone, was it designed this way?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsta1423 View Post
    I just noticed with this v0.4 that the stock browser is now gone, was it designed this way?
    Absolutely not... it should appear as "Web" in your Launcher... just make sure to take a reboot.

If all else fails, have a look at this post where I share the stock 3.0.4 browser which I extracted from WebOS Doctor 3.0.4 --- http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3248438

Thanks!
    I dont know why it disappeared after v0.4, the "JUSTINCASE" backup was still there, so i copied that to the /usr/palm/applications folder and that restored it

strange
  7.    #47  
    I dont know why it disappeared after v0.4, the "JUSTINCASE" backup was still there, so i copied that to the /usr/palm/applications folder and that restored it

strange
    That's exactly why I keep that backup folder around and NEVER erase it in my script
    The only thing I miss from the stock browser is the ad blocking patches, any ideas?
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    The only thing I miss from the stock browser is the ad blocking patches, any ideas?
    You mean Advanced Browser does not have it while stock can be patched to ignore ads?

Thanks!
    Welcome JZ SmartMort!!! Nice to see you here!!
    I remember you quite well from the WinMo days. I still have your MortScript running on an HTC Diamond somewhere around here. Thanks for the contribution!

Quote Originally Posted by JZ SmartMort View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first "real" contribution to webOS and this wonderful community where I learned so much about my new Touchpad.

The patch will allow you to open URL/links with Maklesoft's Advanced Browser instead of the default webOS browser. However, the default browser will be available for usage when you install the patch. The word patch is slightly misleading because what I'm providing is a a shell SCRIPT which you have to run in a shell like XTerm or Novaterm. Below you'll find very specific information about the installation process and the caveats of using this hack.

Credits go to PatrickC of the following thread as it got me concentrating on MIME type definitions within appinfo.json files: How to make Advanced Browser the default on your HP #TouchPad?

PRE-INSTALLATION SHELL ABILITY REQUIREMENT
    If you already know how to shell in via SSH or any other terminal connection then feel free to skip this section. Below I'm listing two methods for doing so but there are more choices than the below.

Method 1...
    • Install Preware (not going into details). Then install XServer, XTerm and Xecutah.
    • Install Advanced Browser (tested with version 1.2.6 on webOS 3.0.4 Touchpad)
    • Restart Luna or reboot the device at some point after those apps are installed and before running my hack.
    • Restart Luna or reboot the device at some point after those apps are installed and before running my hack.

Method 2...
    • Connect the webOS device to the PC
    • Install Novacom drivers for your device (not going into details)
    • Open up %PROGRAMFILES%\Palm, Inc\terminal --- directory on the PC
    • Run novaterm.bat file which will launch a terminal emulator and allow you to run commands on the device (like my script once you get it onto the device). Don't forget to click File>Connect.

PATCH/SCRIPT INSTALLATION
    • Somehow get the script onto the device.
      • You e-mail the script to yourself and SAVE the attachment, don't try to run it.
      • You can mount the device as a drive on the PC and place it right on the root of the device which is actually /media/internal.
      • Or you can use my latest-favorite method by uploading via the wonderful app called Wifi TP File Browser
    • Remove the TXT extension from the tail end of the filename... or keep as TXT, it does not really matter since Linux will run any file extension with execution permissions.
    • Once the script is inside of the /media/internal directory (for ease let's say it's here) you will need to modify its execution permissions by running:
    • chmod 777 /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh
    • Execute the script via a shell command. This command can be run via Xecutah>XTerm or you can run it via Novaterm --- both methods described above:
    • sh /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh
    • By executing the command above my script will begin. It will not do anything until you make your selection at the prompt.
    • When you upgrade this script or your version of Advanced Browser, it's probably best to re-activate the functionality again.

SCRIPT ACTIVITY EXPLANATION
    • This script will modify appinfo.json file under the Advanced Browser folder specifying that this app is web-browser capable. After this is done, DEVICE INFO will open up for you and you should click the top left menu to change the DEFAULT APPLICATION for the Web Links section.
    • You can also control wether Just type... search box uses Advanced Browser or the stock one.
    • EVERYTHING my script does can be reversed and your stock browser can be reverted back to being the default browser.

I've tested a few dozen times by activating and deactivating the functionality and it definitely works but feedback is always welcome...

Please do not re-post this script. Things get outdated quickly and I simply don't understand when people think they can just take another's work and distribute it.

Enjoy!
    JZ

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    AHHH thats where youre from!! I still run a few mortscripts on my WinMo TP2, genious!
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Welcome JZ SmartMort!!! Nice to see you here!!
    I remember you quite well from the WinMo days. I still have your MortScript running on an HTC Diamond somewhere around here. Thanks for the contribution!
    AHHH thats where youre from!! I still run a few mortscripts on my WinMo TP2, genious!
    Thanks guys yeah, same old me with same old crazy ideas
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Greetings, JZ SmartMort:
    Thank you for your efforts! I look forward to getting this patch to work on my 32GB Touchpad, v3.0.4 & AB v1.2.7. For some reason, it crashes when trying to run the script. I get the following error (I had to retype the errors from the Commandline in Xecutah because I don't know how to copy the screen output on my TP):

/media/internal/jz_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh: line 1: can't open !DOCTYPE: no such file
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 1: html: not found
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 2: can't open html: no such file
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 3: syntax error: unexpected newline

Then it returns to the Command Line prompt. Any thoughts on why this doesn't work for me?

Thank you for the help!
    -LA6507
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    Greetings, JZ SmartMort:
    Thank you for your efforts! I look forward to getting this patch to work on my 32GB Touchpad, v3.0.4 & AB v1.2.7. For some reason, it crashes when trying to run the script. I get the following error (I had to retype the errors from the Commandline in Xecutah because I don't know how to copy the screen output on my TP):

/media/internal/jz_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh: line 1: can't open !DOCTYPE: no such file
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 1: html: not found
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 2: can't open html: no such file
    /media/internal/JZ_default_browser_justtype_switch_0_4.sh line 3: syntax error: unexpected newline

Then it returns to the Command Line prompt. Any thoughts on why this doesn't work for me?

Thank you for the help!
    -LA6507
    Dude you didn't save the attachment... lines 1-5 or so are comments and do NOT contain words like DOCTYPE, etc. It seems that you saved the WEB PAGE that probably says "please log into PreCentral in order to download this attachment" and you're trying to run that in the shell which will obviously error out as it's HTML and not shell script.

Please SAVE the file and make sure it looks like it's TEXT and does not contain <html> tags of any sort.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JZ SmartMort View Post
    Dude you didn't save the attachment... lines 1-5 or so are comments and do NOT contain words like DOCTYPE, etc. It seems that you saved the WEB PAGE that probably says "please log into PreCentral in order to download this attachment" and you're trying to run that in the shell which will obviously error out as it's HTML and not shell script.

Please SAVE the file and make sure it looks like it's TEXT and does not contain <html> tags of any sort.
    My bad! OK, I downloaded the script from my PC this time then transferred it over to the TP, chmodded it, then ran it and everything worked great using Executah. Great script, Thank you!!!
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    My bad! OK, I downloaded the script from my PC this time then transferred it over to the TP, chmodded it, then ran it and everything worked great using Executah. Great script, Thank you!!!
    Nice, now that's feedback that I like
    IS this the patch that has been added to preware called "browser-make-advanced-browser-the-default-browser"
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
    IS this the patch that has been added to preware called "browser-make-advanced-browser-the-default-browser"
    This is NOT the patch because my SCRIPT is not a standard Preware patch. Here's an explanation as to why it's not a patch and will not become one unless the patch logic is fixed on user storage area. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3248691

My guess is that you found the Just type... patch and NOT the entire system override for the default browser.
    thanks tor the response. After looking closer it was added to preware today. Shows mackelsoft as the maintainer. Description says "modifies stock browser code so that all launches are sent to advanced browser."
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
    thanks tor the response. After looking closer it was added to preware today. Shows mackelsoft as the maintainer. Description says "modifies stock browser code so that all launches are sent to advanced browser."
    That's cool but I don't know why they would do that and waste their time the easiest thing to do is exactly what my patch does... using MIME TYPES is the bomb. On my Touchpad, TXT files now open with TIDE (nice text editor) instead of QuickOffice because it chokes on text files, etc. You can modify ANY app's appinfo.json file and designate the app as "capable" of handling some file extesion. Then open up Device Info > Default Applications and switch to which-ever app you desire to open up that extension. It's an awesome technique IMO!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast