1.    #1  
    There have been a few requests for this, but no replies. Is there something inherently difficult in the coding to have the Browser save usernames and passwords? I use several combinations across different sites. Thanks!
    +1 for this patch. This would be an awesome addition to webOS.
    This would be pretty awesome.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    +1 as well
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
    There have been a few requests for this, but no replies. Is there something inherently difficult in the coding to have the Browser save usernames and passwords? I use several combinations across different sites. Thanks!
    Um yes there is "something inherently difficult" in the coding. I'm the maintainer of the browser patch "Custom Browser Gestures" and I'm quite familiar with the browser code (at least on the touchpad). I'll try my best to explain the problem with these types of patch requests, which we frequently seem to get around here.

Short answer: Patches, get over them, they can't fix/do everything.

Long answer: the non-patchable part of the web browser, "the browser adapter", does not have the necessary code to handle saving passwords. We can only patch the "javascript and css side" of the browser. It would be like trying to work on a car's engine without opening the hood, or brushing your teeth without opening your mouth. Can you do that?, I sure can't

Bottomline: while webOS is pretty unique, and allows for some awesome patch-ability. It's not possible "patch-in" every little feature. webOS still has it's fair share of non-patchable compiled code. In other words, HP needs to open source those bits and provide the source code. Even then, this kind of modification would never be called "a patch". It would have to be released via a webOS update or App Catalog update.

Edit: if you really need the "save password" functionality, consider purchasing "Advanced Browser for webOS" in the app catalog. Of course, this is only available for the Touchpad but it does have this feature.
    Last edited by Nightburn; 11/02/2011 at 02:32 PM.