Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DreadVenom
  1.    #1  
    i hope the title says it all -- picsel smart office is much better then quick office in my opinion and i would like it to be the default program especially for PDF's

please write a patch if you can

thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    not possible, unfortunately, as PDK apps can't handle launch params
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3.    #3  
    arrrrrghhh
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    What about MetaView's RegisterApp?
    Could be done that way?
    Pre3 (UK, QWERTY, Unlocked)
    webOS 2.2.4 (Build 3175), with UberKernel
    UK App Catalog via Impostah
    Orange [PL]
    Dang, was hoping for this too. Especially with the phone app for pdf viewing, as the stock app crashing has always been irritating.
    i bet jzsmartmort could do it, he just needs a copy of SO
    Hi,

I know there might already be a topic on this and I do apologise if there is but does anyone know how to make Picsel Smart Office the default documents handler over Quickoffice. Any help on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Please ignore as i have read through the forim threads and found my answer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by DreadVenom; 02/20/2012 at 06:23 AM.
    Can you link to that thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Can you link to that thread?
    Here you go

[patch request] make picsel smart office default program

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    <threads merged>
    Uh...if the threads are merged...then this thread should be the compilation of both, right? Dreadvenom stated that he found the answer in the 'other' thread...which is now merged with this thread...am I still accurate here?

OK, so if the answer is now in this thread...where is it? The only answer I saw to this was by Jason Robitaille where he siad it isn't possible sicne PDK apps CAN'T handle launch parameters. Is this the answer? Is there nothing new on this front? Is this the final word?

If so...can someone give me tips on how to more easily navigate downloaded PDFs...where does webOS save them...I need to find that directory and start organizing files in there to other folders, to make it easier to manage documents using SmartOffice.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

That is the final word unless the PDK APIs themselves can be changed in the future.

The default folder for downloads is just that - downloads. Email attachments don't go there unless you save the attachment from the email after downloading it, which I believe is only possible in certain webOS versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is the final word unless the PDK APIs themselves can be changed in the future.

The default folder for downloads is just that - downloads. Email attachments don't go there unless you save the attachment from the email after downloading it, which I believe is only possible in certain webOS versions.
    That's what I think I do. I get an email with an attachment, let's say a PDF file. I tap on the attachment...webOS mail app automatically starts downloading it. Then it automatically spawns the pdf vewer and it's a roll of the dice on whether I get an error or not. Regardless, the file has been downloaded somewhere. Is it in /downloads folder?

By the way, what is the path to /downloads? Is it /media/internal/dowlnoads? I noticed in Inernalz Pro Preferences, there is a place to set a 'home folder' and mine is set as /media/internal/
    Can I use this home folder to change where things are saved from, say, email?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    That's what I think I do. I get an email with an attachment, let's say a PDF file. I tap on the attachment...webOS mail app automatically starts downloading it. Then it automatically spawns the pdf vewer and it's a roll of the dice on whether I get an error or not. Regardless, the file has been downloaded somewhere. Is it in /downloads folder?
    Mail (and other in rom apps) stores file in /var/file-cache/ with scrambled filenames ... when it spawns application for opening file (for example pdf viewer) both 'scrambled' name (full path so app can open it) and real name (so app can display expected name) are sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

By the way, what is the path to /downloads? Is it /media/internal/dowlnoads? I noticed in Inernalz Pro Preferences, there is a place to set a 'home folder' and mine is set as /media/internal/
    Can I use this home folder to change where things are saved from, say, email?
    No, that's not the same thing. When you click an attachment, it gets downloaded to an attachment holding area where it is then opened from. If it's an app with a save function, you can save it from there, and odds are good it will end up in /media/internal. Otherwise, just close the app, and from the email app you can then save the attachment. On my Pre2, I hold the gray button and click the attachment, and it pops up a 'menu' with one item labeled 'save attachment'. If you click that, it saves it under /media/internal/downloads (for your 2nd question, this is the path to downloads I referred to. Changing the home in Internalz only affect where internalz goes when you click the home button). On the Touchpad, you can just long-press on the attachment and the menu pops up allowing you to save the attachments, one at a time or all at once.

I just remembered there was an article posted on how to save attachments not too long ago.. I'll link to it here, as I'm sure it is more thorough. :-)

Edit: here is the link, but it isn't really more thorough, just perhaps easier to read.
    http://www.webosnation.com/save-emai...nt-webos-2-2-1
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/24/2012 at 12:03 PM.
    Holding the grey button down while tapping on the attachment does not give me an option to save. It either does nothing, or starts to dowload and spawn the PDF reader. I think the Grey button hold option works in 2.X and later versions of the OS.

Oh well, I guess i just need to be good about keeping up with stuff I download.

What version of webOS are you on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    What version of webOS are you on?
    I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that....there goes another brain cell I suppose!

I have a Palm Pre+ (VZW launch day) running webOS 1.4.5.1. And although this doesn't matter for our discussion, I overclock using Uberkernal/Govnah at 500/1000 screenstate setting...usually. Sometimes I get to many resets, then I forget to reset it so I find it is running at Uberkernal Default.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi Rockbeast, in post #15, Grabber tells you he is on Palm Pre 2. I have tried his method and it does work beautifully on a palm pre2.
    how about pre3?

Thank you.