Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    I have been able to stabilize the webOS Virtual Keyboard on 2.1.0 on both the Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pre Plus.
    For webOS 2.2.X (Pre 3), I have made a new patch for this. Here it is Attachment 61912.
    Just installed the Pre3 patch. Came up fine...looks really nice...entered a few characters in the Messaging app...and it FROZE. It was in portrait mode the whole time.

Nothing would unlock it. Power switch would not bring up any options. Hard reboot and everything came up fine. Uninstalled the patch until I hear about any updates.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frett View Post
    Just installed the Pre3 patch. Came up fine...looks really nice...entered a few characters in the Messaging app...and it FROZE. It was in portrait mode the whole time.

Nothing would unlock it. Power switch would not bring up any options. Hard reboot and everything came up fine. Uninstalled the patch until I hear about any updates.
    Which phone/OS version?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Did you install the patch first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    As alluded to above, did you run from Xterm or from novaterm?
    If you ran it from Xterm but didn't use "nohup ./VKB.sh &" (page 3 of this thread) then it will hang.

You can probably just hook up to your computer via "just charge" usb in dev mode and correct things.
    erm i installed it with sdl terminal...

and my computer notices that there is something pluged in but the "just charge,usb drive" screen doesnt pop up...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Did you do a reboot?

If the screen is dark or does not respond to taps at all, press and hold the power button and slide the ringer switch three times to restart your device. Depending on the HP webOS version, the device may turn off and restart, or you may need to tap Turn Off and then press and hold the power button to restart. You can also press and hold Option + Sym + R to restart the device.
    After a reboot, try installing from WOSQI or novaterm.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
    Awww... Does this also happen when opening the vkb in landscape mode? When I try this on my phone luna doesn't crash, but I can' type. But I am able to close the keyboard and the phone works as "good" ;-) as before...
    It could be .... This is up for investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Memory leak doesn't sound good, do you think it's fixable CvvB?
    I think it is. It seems that we have a recursive call that is eating up the stack. I have to find it first. The tough part is that I rely heavily on the minicore generated with the dumps. This minicore dump gives you the list of functions that been called in a thread, but up to two calls. Also, I am not sure which part of LunaSysMgr triggered that painting thread, anyways. The crash happens in the libQtGui.so ... who uses Qt nowadays !

Quote Originally Posted by kaz89 View Post
    okay...i just executed that script on my veer and im a lil bit confused...
    It stopped at "Stopping Luna Service" and doesnt do anything...i cant turn it off or anything else....help?
    Don't use any terminal on the device as Luna would be stopped; therefore, the terminal which runs on-top of Luna would hang. Unless you know how to execute the script in background as explained earlier, use the Commandline given by WOSQI or Novaterm.

Did you run the script? I figure from your post that you didn't run the script?

The patch actually activates the hidden keyboard in the Luna manager in webOS, the script patches the Luna manager to stabilize the keyboard.

If you did, can you post what exactly the script outputted? It is important to see if the script actually patched your Luna manager successfully.

Regards,
    Last edited by CvvB; 11/07/2011 at 01:05 PM.
    okay did that...now is everything fine...and the keyboard is working now ...thx for the help
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Ok, I started over. (I've been going back and forth between the emulator, so it's possible I accidentally did some of this on the emulator and some on my Pre3.)

Anyway, it works perfectly! AND it doesn't crash when I tilt it to landscape mode!

Very impressive work!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Update: I can cause a Luna restart by putting the keyboard in 10-key mode and typing random numbers and then hitting the Option key. Doesn't happen every time. When the screen freezes, the Option key is the last thing "lit up" on the screen.

Also, sometimes when activating the number pad vs alpha keys, sometimes the indicator will show it's in number mode and it types numbers, but the keyboard on the screen shows letters, not numbers. And vice versa (i.e. the indicator shows I'm in alpha mode and I'm outputting letters, but there are numbers on the keys.

This might be a glitch in the keyboard function itself, and not the patches.
  9.    #149  
    Update: I can cause a Luna restart by putting the keyboard in 10-key mode and typing random numbers and then hitting the Option key. Doesn't happen every time. When the screen freezes, the Option key is the last thing "lit up" on the screen.

Also, sometimes when activating the number pad vs alpha keys, sometimes the indicator will show it's in number mode and it types numbers, but the keyboard on the screen shows letters, not numbers. And vice versa (i.e. the indicator shows I'm in alpha mode and I'm outputting letters, but there are numbers on the keys.

This might be a glitch in the keyboard function itself, and not the patches.
    Yes ... As I have stated before, we do have a case of a nasty memory leak, which in theory could cause random crashes here and there. I am trying to determine the root-cause for such. This can cause few crashes while typing anything randomly.

I have noticed the bug in the number mode, also ... Thanks for the feedback.
    It would be great if the SYM and Shift key wouldn't have to be pressed twice to switch back to the normal view... Don't know if this is possible...
    Awesome! Even on small Veer screen! Big thanx!
    I have no idea how to get this done:

on pre3

run patch first? (Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch) or the sh first (VKB.sh)?

I opened webosquickinstall and tried the linux commandline but it doesn't surf to the folder or find VKB.sh on the fone ...

I tried to copy VKB.sh to the root (/) of the fone via usb connection...didn't find it despite confirmed it went over...

Would some kind person please put up a simpleminded wiki of how to do this for silly me ?? tia !!
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I have no idea how to get this done:

on pre3

run patch first? (Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch) or the sh first (VKB.sh)?

I opened webosquickinstall and tried the linux commandline but it doesn't surf to the folder or find VKB.sh on the fone ...

I tried to copy VKB.sh to the root (/) of the fone via usb connection...didn't find it despite confirmed it went over...

Would some kind person please put up a simpleminded wiki of how to do this for silly me ?? tia !!
    also, I saw where "luna.conf.patch" was referenced ...is this another thing to get on there or is the "Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch" the Pre3 version of this?
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    also, I saw where "luna.conf.patch" was referenced ...is this another thing to get on there or is the "Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch" the Pre3 version of this?
    For Pre3, only use the (Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch). The sequence does not matter that much you can run anything first, then the other.

Basically, run WOSQI and click on (Tools -> Send a File) ...
    Then, in the window that pops up, select the VKB.sh file and set "/" as the destination

Now, go back to WOSQI, and go to (Tools -> Linux Commandline)
    Then, in the console that pops up to you type the following followed by a return:VKB.sh
    The script will start running at this point of time and the script will patch the Luna manager. Keep an eye on the output and read it carefully. If the script DID NOT report a success, take a screenshot and/or report what the exact output here so I can predict what has happened.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Installed and love it. Thanks
    My phone sound setting ringer switch is on ,and set into sound and vibrate mode.
    When I drag out the virtual keyboard, my phone will sound and vibrate .
    How can I inhibit the sound and vibrate in ring on mode ? Thanks !
    Thanks for all of your hard work on this. Is there ANY chance of an actual patch for 2.1 that does all of this for us? I miss having a virtual keyboard, but this process makes me a bit nervous and I don't fully understand it.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    OMG thank you. It is workin perfect on my Pre3... is light years better that the one I had instaled on my pre+
    Im very happy today
    Hello i tested it on my german pre3.
    And it works thank you for this

Can i only activate the keyboard by swipe from down to up?

Is the keyboard only tiny or is there an possibility to get an big keyboard layout?
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Thanks for all of your hard work on this. Is there ANY chance of an actual patch for 2.1 that does all of this for us? I miss having a virtual keyboard, but this process makes me a bit nervous and I don't fully understand it.
    Use the latest version of quick install and follow the instructions carefully. Its very easy.
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast