webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
Like Tree49Likes

Old 10/27/2011, 03:24 PM   #61 (permalink)

Well damn, that's pretty cool! Will have to put this through a day or two of use to see how good/bad a keyboard it actually is, but nice to at least have the option. A bit of a shame that it costs you the launcher wave, but not sure a lot of people used it anyway.

Questions:
- Does it persist through a reboot?
- to uninstall: run script again and remove patch in Preware?

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 03:59 PM   #62 (permalink)

First off, thank you CvvB for this effort.

My input:

1. Sure would be nice if the kb could be made a bit larger on Pre 3...realize that's not likely to happen

2. Also would be great if it didn't make the system sound upon opening.

Thanks again.
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: CvvB
Old 10/27/2011, 04:20 PM   #63 (permalink)

To answer my own question, it does indeed persist through a reboot.

For a tiny keyboard, it's pretty accurate. I don't have big hands, but I don't have dainty fingers either. I'm always nervous on tiny touchscreen keyboards because I end up with crazy errors from fat fingering the keys, or hitting the screen with the incorrect part of my finger thus triggering a different key. I do like how the VKB flashes the depressed key above the VKB so you know what you've hit.

It's cool. Not sure how much I'll use it vs. the launcher wave, but a very impressive effort to get it working and stable nonetheless.

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 04:55 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
First off, thank you CvvB for this effort.

My input:

1. Sure would be nice if the kb could be made a bit larger on Pre 3...realize that's not likely to happen

2. Also would be great if it didn't make the system sound upon opening.

Thanks again.
@1. I have to dig for that and see how hard is it ...

@2. I guess the sound is going to be a bit tough as the system act with it as a notification. But, I am not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
Well damn, that's pretty cool! Will have to put this through a day or two of use to see how good/bad a keyboard it actually is, but nice to at least have the option. A bit of a shame that it costs you the launcher wave, but not sure a lot of people used it anyway.

Questions:
- Does it persist through a reboot?
- to uninstall: run script again and remove patch in Preware?
Well, yes. Run the script without any parameters or specify the parameter appropriate. And for the patch, I guess Preware and/or WOSQI should be enough for that .
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 05:22 PM   #65 (permalink)

Hello

this sounds fantastic !!! Does this work on any device, no language - barrier?

thanks for a swift answer!

update: installed the Pre3 patch and the keyboard turns up, seems to work fine, but no capital letters are allowed, otherwise the device crashes
BUT I could not figure out how to install the VKB.sh - this is a class to high for me, even my english is not the worst - could someone help perhaps with some printscreens or a more detailes instruction? ...if of course it's suppposed to work on a german Pre3.

Last edited by nimra; 10/27/2011 at 05:36 PM.
nimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 07:38 PM   #66 (permalink)

This is quality stuff!!! I will definitely be using this alot!!!! Cheers!!!
Old 10/28/2011, 01:49 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimra View Post
Hello

this sounds fantastic !!! Does this work on any device, no language - barrier?

thanks for a swift answer!

update: installed the Pre3 patch and the keyboard turns up, seems to work fine, but no capital letters are allowed, otherwise the device crashes
BUT I could not figure out how to install the VKB.sh - this is a class to high for me, even my english is not the worst - could someone help perhaps with some printscreens or a more detailes instruction? ...if of course it's suppposed to work on a german Pre3.
Now, that is an interesting point. What type of keyboard did you get? QWERTZ or QWERTY?

The crash that you get indicates that you need the script. And the script is not language specific. I will try to do some simple guide and upload it later.
Old 10/28/2011, 02:45 AM   #68 (permalink)
g7

I have an AZERTY pre3 and I get the QWERTY one (which is btw fine with me, as AZERTY is not my native keyboard layout )

By the way, excellent work! In portait it didn't crashed a time!

Eugenio
g7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 03:03 AM   #69 (permalink)

Ok after reading 4 pages these are the steps for the Pre 3.

I am using a AZERTY. and it give me a QWERTY keyboard, which is great!!

STEPS for Pre 3 keyboard patch
1. Download all 3 files as per page 1.
VBH.sh
luna patch.
keyboard on patch

2. Run WOSQI.
a. send the VBH.sh file to "/" folder
b. run the command line in WOSQI. Type "VBH.sh". Be mindful of the capital text. No need options -just auto should do.
c. WOSQI - install luna and keyboard patch as per normal.

I think the system will reboot. However if it doesn't reboot the phone. Then swipe.. You'd get a more stable working keyboard. Many thanks to the author of this thread!!!!

My thoughts.. instead of sacrificing the wavey function, why not enable the v.kb with a dual finger swipe upwards?

Last edited by daexpression; 10/28/2011 at 03:36 AM.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by icepearl, jmdesai, SatanWX
Old 10/28/2011, 04:20 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7 View Post
I have an AZERTY pre3 and I get the QWERTY one (which is btw fine with me, as AZERTY is not my native keyboard layout )

By the way, excellent work! In portait it didn't crashed a time!

Eugenio
I guess the layout will depend on the region set in the software, it has nothing to do with the kind of Pre3 ... That's what I would have guessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
Ok after reading 4 pages these are the steps for the Pre 3.

I am using a AZERTY. and it give me a QWERTY keyboard, which is great!!

STEPS for Pre 3 keyboard patch
1. Download all 3 files as per page 1.
VBH.sh
luna patch.
keyboard on patch

2. Run WOSQI.
a. send the VBH.sh file to "/" folder
b. run the command line in WOSQI. Type "VBH.sh". Be mindful of the capital text. No need options -just auto should do.
c. WOSQI - install luna and keyboard patch as per normal.

I think the system will reboot. However if it doesn't reboot the phone. Then swipe.. You'd get a more stable working keyboard. Many thanks to the author of this thread!!!!

My thoughts.. instead of sacrificing the wavey function, why not enable the v.kb with a dual finger swipe upwards?
You don't have to put both patches ... Only one. The "luna.conf.patch" is for webOS 2.1.0 and the Pre3 one is for, well, Pre 3 .

The launching mechanisim is set by Palm. I need to dig deeper on this to see if it can be changed.

Last edited by CvvB; 10/28/2011 at 04:26 AM.
Thanked By: jmdesai
Old 10/28/2011, 04:42 AM   #71 (permalink)

post DOS command user ...command line is close to alien to me

thanks....was a bit confused by the various patches. I hope my description made it easier for some..and not confuse them lol.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 05:03 AM   #72 (permalink)

if it can be done, double tap is better than two finger swipe. Multiple fingers is always bad in my opinion. That's why I don't even bother with splashtop on touchpad. Very unnatural.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 06:14 AM   #73 (permalink)
g7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
I guess the layout will depend on the region set in the software, it has nothing to do with the kind of Pre3 ... That's what I would have guessed!
Every pre has a token which sets the keyboard model (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-mapping.html)

Anyway the layout it's fine for me -- except for the fact that I was learning azerty!

Thank you again,
Eugenio
Old 10/28/2011, 06:26 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7 View Post
Every pre has a token which sets the keyboard model ([url]

Anyway the layout it's fine for me -- except for the fact that I was learning azerty!

Thank you again,
Eugenio
This token is used for the physical keyboard. Unless you are implying that it is also used for the virtual keyboard, which I highly doubt.
Old 10/28/2011, 06:46 AM   #75 (permalink)
g7

Yes, I was thinking that

Eugenio
Old 10/28/2011, 07:38 AM   #76 (permalink)

If there is still interest on how it works on a Pre3 (german QWERTZ model):

I just installed it (using VKB-1.1.zip and Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch). I just used it once and here is what I got so far:

It works! The response is great. Capital letters and everything the keyboard shows me is working. The only problem I had was when I opened the browser and rotatet the phone (which turns to landscape mode) it did crash and I had to restart it.

So thanks for this thing!!! It just can get only better
2nd_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 02:59 PM   #77 (permalink)

when I try to install the .patch file (after sending and running the VKB.sh file I get the message: ERROR: an error occurred.....

Unable to connect to WebOS-Internals servers
cannot download AUPT scripts for the patch

what Im doing wrong?

thank you for any help

BTW: on my PRE3 I got this message and then - not sure why or when it went ok. Now Im doing it on a frends PRE3 and it doesnt seem to work... :-(
Walhalla2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 03:38 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
when I try to install the .patch file (after sending and running the VKB.sh file I get the message: ERROR: an error occurred.....

Unable to connect to WebOS-Internals servers
cannot download AUPT scripts for the patch

what Im doing wrong?

thank you for any help

BTW: on my PRE3 I got this message and then - not sure why or when it went ok. Now Im doing it on a frends PRE3 and it doesnt seem to work... :-(
It showed me the same error. When I turned ON the wifi and connected to my network, the error was gone...
2nd_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 04:45 PM   #79 (permalink)

I got this to work on my Pre 2, and copied the patch onto the Pre rather than installing it with WSQI. I activated it by installing it with Internalz, removing it with Preware. Awkward, but it works. I'd really like to see an option for the keyboard AND the launcher wave.
Thanks
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 05:23 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_Street View Post
It showed me the same error. When I turned ON the wifi and connected to my network, the error was gone...
It worked! thank you
Walhalla2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0