webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
Like Tree50Likes

Old 10/27/2011, 05:32 AM   #41 (permalink)

PM'd

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 10/27/2011, 06:55 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
What about the donation link? You have done what we have been told was impossible.
2nd that
robinreliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 09:08 AM   #43 (permalink)

Keyboard size Pre 3:
Attached Images
File Type: png help_2011-27-10_135637.png (85.5 KB, 296 views) Email Attachment
Old 10/27/2011, 09:17 AM   #44 (permalink)

I too would like to see an alternate launch method, I use the wave bar more than I would use a virtual keyboard. Maybe an option to enable/disable the patch-that way I could turn it on when needed, but use the wave bar the rest of the time.
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 09:29 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
What about the donation link? You have done what we have been told was impossible.
I consider myself achieving something when it is stable in every possible scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
Keyboard size Pre 3:
That seems fine accroding to the measuerment on Pre2/+. Of course, if you put these measuerment on a higher resolution you can see the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I too would like to see an alternate launch method, I use the wave bar more than I would use a virtual keyboard. Maybe an option to enable/disable the patch-that way I could turn it on when needed, but use the wave bar the rest of the time.
I need to see if it is easy to do so. I can see from the LunaSysMgr that they have fixed gestuers and they map each to some functionality depending on the settings.
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 09:31 AM   #46 (permalink)

Sorry to double post.

First post updated with the newest version of the script which adds support for webOS 2.2.0/2.2.3!

Enjoy.
Old 10/27/2011, 09:47 AM   #47 (permalink)

The alternate method to enable the Virtual Keyboard in webOS is to edit the luna-platform.conf file in etc/palm/

There you will be able to set the virtualkeyboard to true instead of false.

So, copy the file from etc/palm to media/internal, edit it and copy it back. A luna restart will be required for it to work.
Old 10/27/2011, 10:27 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
The alternate method to enable the Virtual Keyboard in webOS is to edit the luna-platform.conf file in etc/palm/

There you will be able to set the virtualkeyboard to true instead of false.

So, copy the file from etc/palm to media/internal, edit it and copy it back. A luna restart will be required for it to work.
Not luna.conf?
Old 10/27/2011, 10:39 AM   #49 (permalink)

Nope, no need to alter luna.conf :-)

Old 10/27/2011, 10:48 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope, no need to alter luna.conf :-)

Thanks.

First post updated with the a new patch file I created to activate the VKB.
Old 10/27/2011, 11:18 AM   #51 (permalink)

Got this working now many thanks to CvvB for his help, this guy got the patience of a saint.
robinreliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jasonrogers
Old 10/27/2011, 11:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just installed successfully, hats off to you sir! Apologies for the slow response, I went to bed after I PMed you. I'll definately sling a donation your way when you're ready for one

By the way, it might be worth adding a warning not to try installing it with XTerm. I failed to read the instructions in my excitement and had to do a battery pull after the phone locked up on me :P

EDIT: It doesn't seem to work properly in landscape or upside-down. None of the keys actually register touches, it just acts like you're interacting with whatever's behind it. The gesture area seems to be mapped to the top row of keys too, very weird.
Though on the upside it scales perfectly in landscape

Double Edit:
The alt/shift keys seem to be misbehaving too, you have to double-tap them to get a single alt/caps character and single tap to lock them, which is the reverse of the hardware keyboard.
Also the alt/shift+drag to move the cursor/select doesn't work, it just engages pinch-zoom. That'd probably require some serious hacking to change though, so meh :P

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 10/27/2011 at 11:55 AM.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 02:06 PM   #53 (permalink)

Sorry, but correct me if I wrong: For WebOs 2.2.3 I need only Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch? Or ferst i need to install Luna.conf and after - Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch
Grigoriy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 02:08 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriy_m View Post
Sorry, but correct me if I wrong: For WebOs 2.2.3 I need only Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch? Or ferst i need to install Luna.conf and after - Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.patch
The "Luna.conf" one is for pre2, the pre3.patch is for pre. Apply the patch first, then run the script

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by zclash likes this.
Old 10/27/2011, 02:19 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
By the way, it might be worth adding a warning not to try installing it with XTerm.
Thanks for this. Been busy all day and haven't had a chance to install and had planned on doing it all with Xterm!
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 02:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

You Can install it with xterm with:

nohup ./VKB.sh &

This way it will run as a unmanned process that won't die when the script kills Luna

In other words, it works in xterm

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CvvB and PrettyMuchPre like this.
Thanked By: PrettyMuchPre
Old 10/27/2011, 02:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
You Can install it with xterm with:

nohup ./VKB.sh &

This way it will run as a unmanned process that won't die when the script kills Luna

In other words, it works in xterm
Any other way to install script?
Grigoriy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 02:56 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriy_m View Post
Any other way to install script?
Open up QWOSI, goto Tools -> Linux CommandLine

A commandline will popup, send the script to any directory ... "/" for example. Then, in the commandline execute the script.
Thanked By: Grigoriy_m
Old 10/27/2011, 03:11 PM   #59 (permalink)

Qwosi ?
wosqi ?

Why is it changing my all caps to lowercase?
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 03:14 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
Qwosi ?
wosqi ?

Why is it changing my all caps to lowercase?
LOL

Dman it ... sorry WOSQI!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0