Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Confirmed..
    "..For Veer, first install the 'luna.conf' patch, then go to the command line and run the correct 'VBK.sh'
    patch ~ depending upon which version of webOS you have installed.."

Nice! Now, the 'icing' on the VKB 'cake' would be to also enable audio 'clicks' for Pre3 & Veer key presses ~ is this possible?

As the LunaSysMgr for webOS 2.x was not released it was decompiled via machine language, it would be nice to re-code it, but without the source code, CvvB, just figured out how to bypass the hanging code, I took his code and found the same logic in the Pixi/PixiPlus LunaSysMgr and validate that it worked on webOS 2.1.0 for the Pixi/PixiPlus.

Re-writing the entire LunaSysMgr via machine language is doable, just a big task.

So unless we have some good ARMv6/7 machine language coders, we can not stop the noise when you bring up the keyboard (you can change the notification tone), nor can we enable audible clicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    As the LunaSysMgr for webOS 2.x was not released it was decompiled via machine language, it would be nice to re-code it, but without the source code, CvvB, just figured out how to bypass the hanging code, I took his code and found the same logic in the Pixi/PixiPlus LunaSysMgr and validate that it worked on webOS 2.1.0 for the Pixi/PixiPlus.

Re-writing the entire LunaSysMgr via machine language is doable, just a big task.

So unless we have some good ARMv6/7 machine language coders, we can not stop the noise when you bring up the keyboard (you can change the notification tone), nor can we enable audible clicks.
    It'd probably be more useful to get LunaCE running on the Pre3.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    cbosdell likes this.
    If you change the notification tone to a custom mp3 that is blank that would be a workaround but there goes hearing your device get a message!
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    It'd probably be more useful to get LunaCE running on the Pre3.
    Open webOS/LunaCE could be forced to compile to the Pre3, in fact there was a team that did that (compiled LunaCE to Pre3 ARMv7)... The issue was the Pre3 is based on webOS 2.2.4 not webOS 3.0.x, there were many libraries that needed to be updated, at one point I created a meta-doctor script moving many webOS 3.x modules over (although I was still using webOS 2.2.4 LunaSysMgr as I could never get webOS 3.0.5's LunaSysMgr to run), but I had many webOS 3.0.5 libraries running and JavaScript source working, remember webOS 2.2.4 LunaSysMgr has many qualities of webOS 3.0.5's LunaSysMgr, it has the ability to work as a tablet via a switch, which is how it scales, removing that (there is a patch for that), give you a whole new Pre3 look and feel, however, I lost the USB stick that script was on, so I attempted to rebuild it but have not had the time to really look into it.

Maybe someone out there wants to try, I can teach someone what to do, maybe someone can get farther then me.
    MAMISHO, dkirker and geekpeter like this.
    Open webOS/LunaCE could be forced to compile to the Pre3, in fact there was a team that did that (compiled LunaCE to Pre3 ARMv7)... The issue was the Pre3 is based on webOS 2.2.4 not webOS 3.0.x, there were many libraries that needed to be updated, at one point I created a meta-doctor script moving many webOS 3.x modules over (although I was still using webOS 2.2.4 LunaSysMgr as I could never get webOS 3.0.5's LunaSysMgr to run), but I had many webOS 3.0.5 libraries running and JavaScript source working, remember webOS 2.2.4 LunaSysMgr has many qualities of webOS 3.0.5's LunaSysMgr, it has the ability to work as a tablet via a switch, which is how it scales, removing that (there is a patch for that), give you a whole new Pre3 look and feel, however, I lost the USB stick that script was on, so I attempted to rebuild it but have not had the time to really look into it.

Maybe someone out there wants to try, I can teach someone what to do, maybe someone can get farther then me.
    I've been considering adding this to my list of projects. Alas, I've been SUUUUPER busy... And I am supposed to be getting the new web browser for the webOS-Ports OWO stuff going... OYE!

But I would certainly be willing to help! That's where github steps in!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    geekpeter, MAMISHO and figgel like this.
    Mh, I find it quite useful when using the phone on a table or a flat surface, or when I don't want to/it's better not to slide out the keyboard. It crashes hardly when changing orientation, but all you need is paying attention when using it. It's quite small on the Pre 3, yet I want to keep it because I find it more useful than the wave-like menu which comes out with the same gesture (thus, it doesn't work anymore) used for the VKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Mh, I find it quite useful when using the phone on a table or a flat surface, or when I don't want to/it's better not to slide out the keyboard. It crashes hardly when changing orientation, but all you need is paying attention when using it. It's quite small on the Pre 3, yet I want to keep it because I find it more useful than the wave-like menu which comes out with the same gesture (thus, it doesn't work anymore) used for the VKB.

I agree. Wave Launcher good to launch only four apps while vk can launch any app plus typing, thus more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    I have been able to stabilize the webOS Virtual Keyboard on 2.1.0 on both the Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pre Plus.

I have also made a shell bash file to patch the LunaSysMgr.

I have tested it and it works well on my pre.

The Shell Script has the following options:
    Code:
    USAGE: VKB.sh OPTIONAL:[OPTIONS]

Use one of the following [OPTIONS]:

-patch
         To patch LunaSysMgr

-revert
         To remove the patch and revert the LunaSysMgr to the original status

-status
         To show the status of the patch

-help
         To show this help page!
    If no argument was specified, then the shell uses an automatic mode: where the script determines whether the patch is applied or not and does the opposite activity.

All you have to do to try it out, send the script to your Pre and through webOS Quick Install Linux Commandline execute the script.

Don't forget to activate the Virtual Keyboard by using:

1. the "luna.conf.patch" for webOS <= 2.1.0 using this Attachment 61809. I got that from Arthur Thornton.

2. For webOS >= 2.2.0 (Pre 3/Pre2/Veer), I have made a new patch for this. Here it is Attachment 61912.

Initial Discussion

Attachment 61808

As requested, screenshot:
    Attachment 61875

v1.0: Attachment 61807
    v1.1: Attachment 61911 (Adding webOS 2.2.0/2.2.3 for Pre3)
    v1.1.2: Attachment 61979 (Adding additional build numbers for the Pre3 webOS 2.2.0)
    v1.1.3: Attachment 62159 (Adding webOS 2.1.1/2.1.2 for the Veer)
    v1.1.4: Attachment 63084 (Adding webOS 2.2.4 ...)
    v1.1.5: Attachment 63186 (Adding Veer specific webOS 2.2.4 ...)
    v1.1.5.1: Attachment 63383 (Fixing a typo and a bug in the backup process ouchy! ...)
    v1.1.6: Here (Added support for webOS 2.1.0 for Pixi/Pixi Plus) -- Thanks John Steffes for this contribution

SO FAR:
    The patch stabilizes the VKB; however, when trying to change the screen orientation, Luna seems to crash. I am checking that later on.

Enjoy
    Tested in my pre+ , more stable than before, Great ! Thanks very much!
    Last time I enabled it, it crashed so often without apparent reason I had to uninstall its patch. I didn't even try to turn to landscape, webOS crashed after some typing.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Last time I enabled it, it crashed so often without apparent reason I had to uninstall its patch. I didn't even try to turn to landscape, webOS crashed after some typing.
    Sounds like you did not patch LunaSysMgr then...

Unless you patch it, within about 5 keys it will freeze and lock and restart luna...
    alguna persona de buena voluntad que me ayude a instalarlo por favor en webos 2.2.4 pre 2.

this work. thanks
    Last edited by joshua764; 10/27/2013 at 09:08 AM.
    I installed luna.conf patch via WOSQI without initializing VKB script and it hangs when the device is rotated.
    Can anyone provide a step by step guide of using command line for hp Veer. I am not at all accustomed to command line interface. a screen shot with all the commands shall suffice. Thanks.
    It also says permission denied. Help please
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutoria_1989 View Post
    I installed luna.conf patch via WOSQI without initializing VKB script and it hangs when the device is rotated.
    Can anyone provide a step by step guide of using command line for hp Veer. I am not at all accustomed to command line interface. a screen shot with all the commands shall suffice. Thanks.
    It also says permission denied. Help please
    Depending on your method, make sure your have your root mounted as read/write by default it is read only which will give your the permission denied errors..

The best way is to use the novacom drivers and novaterm from palm's SDK/PDK and developer mode...

But there are many ways to run the script...
    Depending on your method, make sure your have your root mounted as read/write by default it is read only which will give your the permission denied errors..

The best way is to use the novacom drivers and novaterm from palm's SDK/PDK and developer mode...

But there are many ways to run the script...
    Thanks John but how to mount as root with write permissions I am using WOSQI 4.5. with Novacom Drivers that WOSQI installs itself.
    Here is the screenshot of the terminal:
    Last edited by bhutoria_1989; 11/04/2013 at 01:52 AM.
    Thanks John but how to mount as root with write permissions I am using WOSQI 4.5. with Novacom Drivers that WOSQI installs itself.
    Here is the screenshot of the terminal:
    Click to view quoted image
    I see your issue you are running ./ and VKB.sh as separate commands...

run it as one ./VKB.sh

The . means present directory the / means within the directory... the file is named VKB.sh...

So you are telling the interpreter run this shell script in the present directory within this directory there is a file called VKB.sh that is a shell script.

shell - Why do you need ./ (dot-slash) before script name to run it in bash? - Stack Overflow

FYI Thanks they always say a picture is worth a thousand words, here is proof that the picture let me see what you were doing...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have a frozen device, I start the Web-Browser on my Pre3, then show the keyboard and go in landscape view. After then, I can't input anything and must reboot the devise. VKB.sh is installed and works anything fine.
    Have you a solution for this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by bert2000 View Post
    I have a frozen device, I start the Web-Browser on my Pre3, then show the keyboard and go in landscape view. After then, I can't input anything and must reboot the devise. VKB.sh is installed and works anything fine.
    Have you a solution for this problem?
    Yes this is a known bug, solution disable rotation, or don't rotate....

Or close the virtual keyboard, then rotate then bring it back up?
    Yes this is a known bug, solution disable rotation, or don't rotate....

Or close the virtual keyboard, then rotate then bring it back up?
    Hi,

I believe there was a rotation lock patch (I meant to give it a try). Assuming the keyboard crashes because the is no landscape option (or maybe that bit remains unstable), then perhaps it might be possible to install the rotation lock patch as a dependency and automatically activate it when the keyboard opens.

Though this wouldn't 'solve' the problem, it would prevent the crash condition occuring (maybe?). Unless the keyboard is activated in landscape... :-o

Not a programmer. It's just a suggestion...
    Just install the rotation patch in device menu and toggle rotation on when you need to rotate the screen. It does not do it automatically and it defaults to on after reboot