webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
  Reply
Like Tree50Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/25/2011, 06:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,307
Ok, it works. I installed the vk without the script and it crashed regularly. Then with the script it works fine. Only one thing I have noticed, I plan to mostly use it for "just type" and so far it work well for this except launching email (with enter key) crashed more than once. Haven't seen this problem with any other apps I tried to launch. No biggie.

Of course landscape is a no go. I had gotten away form using the wave launcher since it was no longer possible to hide the quick launch bar, but still it is kinda weird not having it there. It seems that one doesn't have to go slowly to launch it, just swipe and come to a stop which seems to be the exact same for wave launcher. But I read somewhere that the launching mechanism can't be adjusted.. Good job, thanks.

Edit: It plays alert sound when launched, kinda annoying sometimes
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
sejgiul's Avatar
 
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
Yes, sir!



Not really ... wait till I finalize it on the Pre3! I don't have a Pre3 on hand so I might announce later that I need some people to dry test.
I'll test also, send me a message when you need me to test.
__________________
Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
sejgiul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
ferchope's Avatar
 
Posts: 92
how do you fire the vkb ?
ferchope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
how do you fire the vkb ?
Do a slow swipe from the gesture area upwards. SLOW


-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
__________________
Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ferchope, taxi
Old 10/25/2011, 01:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
Do a slow swipe from the gesture area upwards. SLOW


-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Even if you do it a bit faster, when you stop mid-way and wait for a split of a second, the KB would pop-up. Exactly how would you bring the wave luncher up!
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0gvn View Post
I don't know your patch file error or it's not compatible with 2.3.0 but it show file version error (screenshot above). I love virtual keyboard, Please you spend time to fix it! where i can donate?
P/S: can you save ur virtual keyboard screenshot? Same it?
Click to view quoted image

LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr
Nope ... It is not the same. I will try to upload a screenshot later on.

The Script won't work as your version is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Ok, it works. I installed the vk without the script and it crashed regularly. Then with the script it works fine. Only one thing I have noticed, I plan to mostly use it for "just type" and so far it work well for this except launching email (with enter key) crashed more than once. Haven't seen this problem with any other apps I tried to launch. No biggie.

Of course landscape is a no go. I had gotten away form using the wave launcher since it was no longer possible to hide the quick launch bar, but still it is kinda weird not having it there. It seems that one doesn't have to go slowly to launch it, just swipe and come to a stop which seems to be the exact same for wave launcher. But I read somewhere that the launching mechanism can't be adjusted.. Good job, thanks.

Edit: It plays alert sound when launched, kinda annoying sometimes
Thanks for your feedback. I never tried to launch anything from the Just Type. I will try it and see where does it crash.
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 08:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
ShiftyAxel's Avatar
 
Posts: 760
Put me down as willing to test also, this is huge!

Also just out of interest, how did you manage to patch LunaSysMgr? I thought it was a binary?
__________________
webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 01:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Put me down as willing to test also, this is huge!

Also just out of interest, how did you manage to patch LunaSysMgr? I thought it was a binary?
The patch only enables code that is already inside LunaSysMgr, and we'll have a working but buggy virtual keyboard on 2.0 and 2.1 (dunno if it's in the Veer version as well, but it's definitely not on 2.3).

It patches a configuration file, not LunaSysMgr itself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
__________________
Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 02:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Put me down as willing to test also, this is huge!

Also just out of interest, how did you manage to patch LunaSysMgr? I thought it was a binary?
Even binary can be changed, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
The patch only enables code that is already inside LunaSysMgr, and we'll have a working but buggy virtual keyboard on 2.0 and 2.1 (dunno if it's in the Veer version as well, but it's definitely not on 2.3).

It patches a configuration file, not LunaSysMgr itself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
The luna.conf patch just changes the configuration file and enables the virtual keyboard already inside the LunaSysMgr, this patch file was done by Arthur.

However, the script will patch the LunaSysMgr to make it less, if not even not, buggy. I am changing some parts of the assembly code to elimnate the crashes.
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Goyena
Old 10/26/2011, 06:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
ShiftyAxel's Avatar
 
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
Even binary can be changed, right ?
Hats off to you sir, that's pretty hardcore stuff :P does that mean you get to see some of the code inside LunaSysManager?

I don't think I've ever seen a binary patch for WebOS before. I think the idea could open up some quite interesting possibilities for future preware patches if it's practical.
__________________
webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO likes this.
Thanked By: MAMISHO
Old 10/26/2011, 09:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 45
So, does this actually work on pre3 at this point or do i wait for an updated version?
Not too clear at this point where its at, sorry...
robinreliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 09:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
ShiftyAxel's Avatar
 
Posts: 760
It doesn't work on Pre3 yet, but i believe it's in the works.

When it does come to Pre3, could this patching process be used to modify it's size? Currently it's teeny tiny on the Pre3's big screen.
__________________
webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 02:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
determinedd's Avatar
 
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0gvn View Post
I don't know your patch file error or it's not compatible with 2.3.0 but it show file version error (screenshot above). I love virtual keyboard, Please you spend time to fix it! where i can donate?
P/S: can you save ur virtual keyboard screenshot? Same it?
Click to view quoted image
On Pre 2 of course
__________________
"just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
determinedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 03:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
no go foe me
i did every thing. when i write vkb. sh -status it said everything is ok
but when im trung to install the luna patch its give me an error.
can you please give me exact orders what to do?
ROTAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 04:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTAHA View Post
no go foe me
i did every thing. when i write vkb. sh -status it said everything is ok
but when im trung to install the luna patch its give me an error.
can you please give me exact orders what to do?
Can I see the log of the error?

The two things are not connected, actually. The script is doing something and the patch is doing something else ...
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 05:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,307
the version of quick install matters. Try using the latest version.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 08:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 500
I have finalized the patch for webOS 2.2.0 and webOS 2.2.3 on Pre 3 ... Can anyone with these versions send me a private message so s/he can test before I release it?

Thanks,
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 08:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
ShiftyAxel's Avatar
 
Posts: 760
PM'd

10char
__________________
webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 09:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
tobias funke_mndd_1's Avatar
 
Posts: 638
Now you have to figure out how to modify the launcher to accept a default page setting and better icon resolution, Mr.BinaryHacker. :-)
__________________
tobias funke_mndd_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 05:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,307
What about the donation link? You have done what we have been told was impossible.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0