webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
Like Tree50Likes

Old 11/26/2011, 02:42 PM   #201 (permalink)

I am curious if the landscape lockup on the Pre3 I experience is a fault in the Pre embedded keyboard itself or somewhere in the patch&app you have put up ...I have it on my Pre3 and in portrait it's great and would love to see the tweaks you may make to correct the fault in landscape ...many thanks for the great work which, no doubt, will be rewarded when webOS is picked up by a company better than HP which is richly deserves!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
Till now, I had to doctor my phone three times.

We are getting closer, though.

That is about true. Think about the keyboard as the notifications, they don't rotate unless the application itself rotates.
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 04:44 PM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_pa View Post
Sorry for the delay, here is log after last installation. (I didn't manage how to attach file in a private message, so I'm posting log here)
The dump is not because of the LunaSysMgr

If you open the minicore.txt, you will find this
Code:
Process /var/usr/sbin/org.webosinternals.xecutah (25316) received SIGABRT(6).
You will see this in the messages ...
Code:
[41440.017059] minicore_launch: CRASH! org.webosintern(25316) received 6. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
Did you reproduce the crash before fetching the latest rdxd logs? If so, then the dump is not related to the Keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
I am curious if the landscape lockup on the Pre3 I experience is a fault in the Pre embedded keyboard itself or somewhere in the patch&app you have put up ...I have it on my Pre3 and in portrait it's great and would love to see the tweaks you may make to correct the fault in landscape ...many thanks for the great work which, no doubt, will be rewarded when webOS is picked up by a company better than HP which is richly deserves!!
My patch is actually just enables the webOS internal keyboard and then patches it up so it won't crash on you as much. What I am doing is basically try to correct the Palm's buggy code for the Keyboard and fix the bugs here and there. So, in concept, that is true. the landscape issue is generated by the faulty webOS Virtual Keyboard.
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 02:35 PM   #203 (permalink)

hello, everything works fine on the german pre3 with qwertz hardware keyboard.
so far, so good, but how could I change the VK to german qwertz layout with the umlauts? This way is for german quite useless. As mentioned before, how to disable the dingdong when VK is activated?
why is there a slash when the international key (on the lower left) is pressed?

THX, xanuk
xanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2011, 04:55 PM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you reproduce the crash before fetching the latest rdxd logs? If so, then the dump is not related to the Keyboard.
Yes I suspected that dump wasn't about crash.

I reproduced the problem, but It isn't an actual crash. I think it was hang... When it happens only battery removal helps.
peter_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 04:01 PM   #205 (permalink)

great job!!! but i have a questions:

How can I use the Wave Launcher by swipe from the gesture area to bringing it up???

Thank you so much!!!
truongtuananhhau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 04:20 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_pa View Post
Yes I suspected that dump wasn't about crash.

I reproduced the problem, but It isn't an actual crash. I think it was hang... When it happens only battery removal helps.
If it hangs, then it the memory leak problem. It is identified but it is much nastier to remove. What you can do, when you reproduce the issue, give it time -round about 5 minutes- and the system will restart by itself. What happens is while the device is hanging, there is an infinite recursive calls going on. At one point, the calls will cause a buffer overrun in the stack in the CPU, thus the system will crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truongtuananhhau1 View Post
great job!!! but i have a questions:

How can I use the Wave Launcher by swipe from the gesture area to bringing it up???

Thank you so much!!!
If you activate the keyboard, the Wave Launcher won't be able to be brought up. This was Palm's decision. We can look at it later to see if we can change such behavior.
Old 11/30/2011, 05:35 AM   #207 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
I don't know if its a pre embedded keyboard fault as if the phone is already in landscape, I can bring up the VK just fine. Its only when the phone transitions from portrait to landscape or vice versa that a crash occurs.
maninwhitecoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2011, 05:43 AM   #208 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I had a luna-reset today when the keyboard came up while Freetether was running. It may possibly have switched orientations at the time, but I don't think it did.

* edit: ATT meta-Pre+ 2.1.0
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2011, 11:47 AM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I had a luna-reset today when the keyboard came up while Freetether was running. It may possibly have switched orientations at the time, but I don't think it did.

* edit: ATT meta-Pre+ 2.1.0
Can you extract the rdxd logs found in /var/log/rdxd/ ... ?

Regards,
Old 12/01/2011, 10:36 AM   #210 (permalink)

palm pre 2 Fw 2.1.0 can use Virtual keyboard, can't it?
mr.nghjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2011, 05:21 PM   #211 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nghjem View Post
Yes, it most certainly can use it.
Old 12/01/2011, 05:22 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nghjem View Post
Not sure what Fw means but yes, palm pre 2 running 2.1 can use virtual keyboard
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 11:35 PM   #213 (permalink)

Wow! My pre2 now it is luxurious. With the virtual keyboard on. Thanks guys!
despinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 09:10 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
I have been able to stabilize the webOS Virtual Keyboard on 2.1.0 on both the Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pre Plus.

I have also made a shell bash file to patch the LunaSysMgr.

I have tested it and it works well on my pre.

The Shell Script has the following options:
Code:
USAGE: VKB.sh OPTIONAL:[OPTIONS]

Use one of the following [OPTIONS]:

-patch
     To patch LunaSysMgr

-revert
     To remove the patch and revert the LunaSysMgr to the original status

-status
     To show the status of the patch

-help
     To show this help page!
If no argument was specified, then the shell uses an automatic mode: where the script determines whether the patch is applied or not and does the opposite activity.

All you have to do to try it out, send the script to your Pre and through webOS Quick Install Linux Commandline execute the script.

Don't forget to activate the Virtual Keyboard by using the "luna.conf.patch" for webOS 2.X using this Attachment 61809. I got that from Arthur Thornton.

For webOS 2.2.X (Pre 3), I have made a new patch for this. Here it is Attachment 61912.

Initial Discussion

Attachment 61808

As requested, screenshot:
Attachment 61875

v1.0: Attachment 61807
v1.1: Attachment 61911 (Adding webOS 2.2.0/2.2.3 for Pre3)
v1.1.2: Attachment 61979 (Adding additional build numbers for the Pre3 webOS 2.2.0)
v1.1.3: Attachment 62159 (Adding webOS 2.1.1/2.1.2 for the Veer)

SO FAR:
The patch stabilizes the VKB; however, when trying to change the screen orientation, Luna seems to crash. I am checking that later on.

Enjoy
No,my phone is HP Veer,it cannot work from your patch...//zhao.zorro@gmail.com
zorrozhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 11:14 PM   #215 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrozhao View Post
Was it really necessary to quote the entire OP? Short answer: no.
Have you tried using version 1.1.3 of the patch? If that doesn't work for you then you'll need to copy some files from your Veer for CvvB to look at and add to the patch.
Old 12/06/2011, 03:00 AM   #216 (permalink)

great work on this much needed utility. Waiting for it's preware release
gameboyonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2011, 06:33 AM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrozhao View Post
Please, apply the latest version of the patch (v1.1.3). Copy the output and paste in here so I can analyze the symptoms. Also, run the patch again with the parameter "-status" so and copy the output and paste it here.

Did you also apply the "luna.conf.patch" by using QWOSI?

If so, what aspect of the patch doesn't work?

I need all these details so I can understand what doesn't actually work!
Old 12/07/2011, 05:34 AM   #218 (permalink)

when this gonna be in preware.. I will try patching manually today on my pre2 and post the result
sbhas2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2011, 01:33 PM   #219 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Preware can't do scripts yet, iirc. Could be a while.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2011, 01:34 PM   #220 (permalink)

I have a Pre3 up to date and I have your 1.1.3 on it and have used the vkb with admiration of your work. However, yesterday, it froze the fone with unresponsive off button requiring a battery removal for the first time since I got the phone. I had the vkb crash the phone in landscape before and the power button allowed restart. This time it's different; it was in portrait and froze while attempting to use uppercase. Nothing worked thereafter, and I had to open the back and take out the battery. I look forward to further updates. I hope this helps.
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0