Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Installing HP's new Maps program removes Google Maps, but with this patch and a little manual step from you, you can save Google Maps from disappearing off your device.

Step 1: download & install the patch (it simply renames the app id from 'maps' to 'googlemaps')

Step 2: use a file manager (like the free Internalz Pro) and browse to /usr/palm/applications/ and rename the folder com.palm.app.maps to com.palm.app.googlemaps. Tap and hold, click 'Info' to rename.
    You may need to enable 'Master mode' under Internalz's preferences. Reboot for safe measure.

Step 3: Now install HP Maps program from the app store.

Please test and report back what WebOS version you have.

Update 10/19/11: patch is now available on Preware for 1.x users, but you still need to perform Step 2 before installing HP Maps. If you're running 2.x, please let me know if you were successful. I don't have a 2.x device to test it myself.

Update 10/22/11: if you already installed HP Maps, see post #10 below - thanks prolongexistence.

Update 11/13/2011: Google has finally pulled the plug on Google Maps - more specially, the URL that the app depended on was maps.google.com/maps/m.

11/13/2011: As an alternative, you can download the web-based app that Panel has created here (it links to the maps.google.com/maps/mm ..yes, double m's).

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by opacityzero; 11/13/2011 at 09:26 PM.
    shanpalm61 and kkhanmd like this.
    Thanks! Will this break associations with other apps tho?
  3.    #3  
    @mc_gusto
    Once you install the HP Maps program, it will become the default maps program that other apps will be associated with. If you prefer to keep Google maps, that will require another patch.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 10/17/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Like what this patch does, but what if I have already downloaded the Bing map? Should I uninstall that map or are you working on an update 4 the patch that allows this to work?
  5.    #5  
    @snaptrax

Once you install HP Maps, Google Maps is overwritten (this is by design). If you're up for it as it's a bit of a process, you can always grab the google maps app files from a webos doctor, rename the app id and create a new ipk file to install. HP Maps is very good however so it may not be worth it unless you want it.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 10/17/2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This patch showed up in Preware yesterday, but as a placeholder only--not currently available for WebOS 2.1.0.

Is the patch file posted in this thread compatible with 2.1.0, or should I wait?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Installing HP's new Maps program removes Google Maps, but with this patch and a little manual step from you, you can save Google Maps from disappearing off your device.

Step 1: download & install the patch (it simply renames the app id from 'maps' to 'googlemaps')

Step 2: use a file manager (like the free Internalz Pro) and browse to /usr/palm/applications/ and rename the folder com.palm.app.maps to com.palm.app.googlemaps. Tap and hold, click 'Info' to rename.
    You may need to enable 'Master mode' under Internalz's preferences. Reboot for safe measure.

Step 3: Now install HP Maps program from the app store.

Please test and report back what WebOS version you have.

Here is my report:
    - Installed patch on Pre Plus WebOS 2.1 (german) with preware 1.8.3 (shows as placeholder, but worked)
    - Did step 2 (renaming to com.palm.app.googlemaps)
    - Reboot
    - Installed HP maps from app store
    - Reboot
    Launcher showed google maps icon and started google maps ...

- Installed HP maps from app store second time
    - Reboot
    Now launcher shows HP maps icon (named "Karten" in german) and starts HP maps (enyo bing maps), but shows "google maps" in the upper left menu. There is no google maps icon in the launcher. In launcher menu it only shows google maps as available standard app for adress. Other apps start HP maps as standard map app.
    1. Installed the patch via Preware.
    2. Changed the folder name via Internalz Pro and rebooted
    3. Verified Google Maps still worked
    4. Installed new Maps app via App Catalog and rebooted
    5. Verified Maps program worked

Thanks a ton for the patch and instructions.

I'm running webOS 1.4.5.1, Preware 1.8.3, Internalz Pro 1.5.0
    Last edited by gregkoe; 10/18/2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: more details provided.
  9.    #9  
    @GuinnessX
    As of right now, I don't know. It's only been tested by me on 1.4.5 with success. I'm hoping users on this forum can try and report back. If successfully, it will be made available for v2.1 users too.

@Acki2
    Thanks for testing. Perhaps on v2.1 it's a little different and causing some issues. Just curious, why did you install HP Maps the second time? Does both app appear in Launcher and work...possible to take a screen shot? If it shows "Google Maps" while in the HP Maps app, you may have unintentionally installed the patch after installing HP Maps.

@gregkoe
    Thanks for confirming it works on 1.4.5.1!
    Last edited by opacityzero; 10/18/2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Here's my success story....
    First of all, I installed HP Maps when it came out since I was unaware that it was going to kill google maps. So, after I found this patch/thread, here's what I did...
    1. Uninstalled HP Maps & Rebooted
    2. Ran webOS Rapair Utility which determined that google maps was missing & replaced it, since it comes preinstalled with 1.4.5
    3. Installed this patch & followed step 2
    4. Rebooted
    5. Verified that google maps was working
    6. Installed HP Maps
    7. Verified that both google maps & HP maps were working

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    @GuinnessX
    As of right now, I don't know. It's only been tested by me on 1.4.5 with success. I'm hoping users on this forum can try and report back. If successfully, it will be made available for v2.1 users too.

@Acki2
    Thanks for testing. Perhaps on v2.1 it's a little different and causing some issues. Just curious, why did you install HP Maps the second time? Does both app appear in Launcher and work...possible to take a screen shot? If it shows "Google Maps" while in the HP Maps app, you may have unintentionally installed the patch after installing HP Maps.

@gregkoe
    Thanks for confirming it works on 1.4.5.1!
    Forgot it in my first post: Thanks for your patch opacityzero!

What I did: First installed your patch, reboot, then installed HP maps, reboot.
    Have only one icon in the laucher, the HP maps icon. Start HP maps and shows "google maps" in the upper left corner while in the HP Maps app.

If I do another reboot (WebOS needs it from time to time...) I have this:
    Only one icon in the laucher, the Google maps icon. Starts Google maps. Just curious!

Now when I install HP maps second time, it`s just as described above. Hp maps icon starts HP maps named google maps upper left. Until the next reboot...
    Didn't work on my Pixi Plus with WebOS 1.4.5 .

I installed the patch first and renamed the maps folder in /usr/palm/applications to googlemaps. After restarting the device Google Maps still worked so I installed HP Maps. After a few moments Maps told me to restart the device. I did it but nothing has changed after that. There was no new icon for Maps and the old Google Maps icon still started Google Maps. The App Catalog displayed that HP Maps is not installed, so I installed it a second time. Once the progress bar in the app catalog turned into a launch button I was able to start HP Maps without restarting the device. Even the Google Maps Icon (still no new Maps icon!) started HP Maps but only as long as I don't restart webOS. Restarting it leaded to the known problems: no new icon, Google Maps icon actually started Google Maps and the App Catalog told me that Maps is not installed.

I did the procedure described here several times without success and I still got no idea why it didn't work.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I ran post 10 and then post 1 (I was in the same boat as prolongexistence) and both maps now work just fine. Thank you opacityzero and prolongexistence!

The "Sprint Nav Google Maps Navigation Megamix" no longer works, nor will it uninstall (I must have restored a file it used when I ran the webOS Repair) but it stopped working when I originally installed Bing so not too big of a deal.

I'm on Sprint Pre- running webOS 1.4.5.1
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Tried to install the patch on 2.1 pre 2 using quick install and got a 1 of 2 hunks failed error so I attempted to manually do the patch I suppose. Just went to usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps and changed the "id" field in the appinfo.json from "com.palm.app.maps" to "com.palm.app.googlemaps". Followed step 2 and everything is working beautifully. Not sure exactly what went wrong with the patch but thanks for the workaround on this, been wanting to check it out without losing my Gmaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by btbkilla View Post
    Tried to install the patch on 2.1 pre 2 using quick install and got a 1 of 2 hunks failed error so I attempted to manually do the patch I suppose. Just went to usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps and changed the "id" field in the appinfo.json from "com.palm.app.maps" to "com.palm.app.googlemaps". Followed step 2 and everything is working beautifully. Not sure exactly what went wrong with the patch but thanks for the workaround on this, been wanting to check it out without losing my Gmaps.
    I also got the hunks failed error and decided to try what you did. So, how do you edit appinfo.json? I'm able to get to it with internalzpro, but I'm not able to edit it.

When I downloaded the patch directly into the phone and opened it with internalzpro, it says basically that "only garbage was found in the patch input".
    I was able to maintain Google maps while installing HP Maps on webos 1.4.5 Pre+

- Run the patch directly from PreWare
    - Renamed the folder using Internalz Pro
    - Installed HP Maps

One problem:
    - HP Maps is unable to use the location services, it does not find my location while Google maps it is able to locate me.

Any recommendation on the HP Maps to use the GPS?

Regards
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I also got the hunks failed error and decided to try what you did. So, how do you edit appinfo.json? I'm able to get to it with internalzpro, but I'm not able to edit it.

When I downloaded the patch directly into the phone and opened it with internalzpro, it says basically that "only garbage was found in the patch input".
    Do you have master mode turned on in options? If so you should be able to just click it and select open. Also I'm able to open them both at the same time and have had no issues with the apps being misnamed.
    Last edited by btbkilla; 10/21/2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by btbkilla View Post
    Do you have master mode turned on in options? If so you should be able to just click it and select open. Also I'm able to open them both at the same time and have had no issues with the apps being misnamed.
    Thanks, I missed that bit about turning on master mode. Just did step 2 and am restarting as I type. We'll see how things go. Thanks again.
    How do you select which program you want as the default map program? I'm reinstalling google maps after deleting HP maps. But I may want to reinstall HP maps after getting google maps working again. I would like to be able to switch b/t the two as the default as i am deciding which one I like better. Can someone tell me the manual steps to do this?
    well you didn't specify which webOS version but in 1.4.5 you would go to 'default applications' in the launcher's menu
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast