Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I installed, and donated to BFG maps while I was on 1.4.5. It worked great. 2.1.0 also broke the app. I emailed the developer with no reply. It crashed and reset my phone whenever I opened it. I had to delete it. It should be removed from the app. Catalog if it's been abandoned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Marco View Post
    Didn't work on my Pixi Plus with WebOS 1.4.5 .

I installed the patch first and renamed the maps folder in /usr/palm/applications to googlemaps. After restarting the device Google Maps still worked so I installed HP Maps. After a few moments Maps told me to restart the device. I did it but nothing has changed after that. There was no new icon for Maps and the old Google Maps icon still started Google Maps. The App Catalog displayed that HP Maps is not installed, so I installed it a second time. Once the progress bar in the app catalog turned into a launch button I was able to start HP Maps without restarting the device. Even the Google Maps Icon (still no new Maps icon!) started HP Maps but only as long as I don't restart webOS. Restarting it leaded to the known problems: no new icon, Google Maps icon actually started Google Maps and the App Catalog told me that Maps is not installed.

I did the procedure described here several times without success and I still got no idea why it didn't work.
    Had the same issue on my Pre running 1.4.5

So, my ? now is... in order to get things back to normal, should I go back into Internalz and change back or delete the "googlemaps" extension that I created?

After reading another post, we are all going to be stuck with Bing in a couple months anyway.

Plus, Google = Evil

I Like da Bing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Btravelen View Post
    I installed, and donated to BFG maps while I was on 1.4.5. It worked great. 2.1.0 also broke the app. I emailed the developer with no reply. It crashed and reset my phone whenever I opened it. I had to delete it. It should be removed from the app. Catalog if it's been abandoned.
    The same thing with my Pre 2!!! Crash & reset with no reason!!! Damn it!!! Any idea...any fix for this bug!!!???
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    treodoc755 likes this.
    Can someone please send me or upload here the update file for Bing maps? Unfortunately, I live in Cyprus, and I cannot have access to the App Catalog to download it. I have a Palm Pre. I would really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by studyhood; 11/07/2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by studyhood View Post
    Can someone please send me or upload here the update file for Bing maps? Unfortunately, I live in Cyprus, and I cannot have access to the App Catalog to download it. I have a Palm Pre. I would really appreciate your help.
    You need to lie!!! Change the regional configuration to US English and reboot your device!!! Almost always this is the solution!!!

Once you've done it, you must change the language of your device again!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    So i've got a Palm Pre+ with 1.4.5.1 and i had already downloaded HP maps (friggin hate it!) and went through post 10 (uninstall bing maps and webos repair to restore google maps) and then back through Post 2 to rename things. I was successful renaming to googlmaps thought it took some hunting to find the file.

But I still get the link to update when i clicked google maps. So i downloaded HP maps as it seems like that's part of the process. it downloaded and runs, and i still have the google maps icon, but i'm only gettin' the darned link to update when i click on it.

Any suggestions? Ulitmately my goal is like another fellow to keep google maps as primary.

i find bing maps next to useless... because i primarily use it to find locations through internet search... i like how great google maps is a finding something. I can just type in "Civic Center, SF" when in the home screen and hit enter and it searches google, and one of the links through google is a google map, i can click that, and off it goes to give me a map there. Try that with bing and i get zero, zilch, nothing... it can't find my location and it can't find civic center. I think part of the great thing of google maps is how great it is at "figuring out" what you're looking for...
    Quote Originally Posted by sshaka View Post
    You need to lie!!! Change the regional configuration to US English and reboot your device!!! Almost always this is the solution!!!

Once you've done it, you must change the language of your device again!!!
    Thank you for trying to help.
    I followed your suggestion, but it doesn't work. It's been about 3 months now, and I haven't managed to solve this issue, even if I asked several times here in precentral forums. I would like to provide here a detailed description of the problem, in case someone could help:

My phone is a Palm Pre EU version. I ordered it from the UK, and I tried to use it in Cyprus. However, I had to create a profile, and because this was not possible to be done here in Cyprus, I had to metadoctor the phone. Here are the settings of the makefile I used:

# BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    # ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # ENABLE_BETA_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXTRA_CARRIERS = 1
    VAR_PARTITION_SIZE = 2GB
    # SWAP_PARTITION_SIZE = 512MB
    # EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE = 2GB

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi", "pixiplus", "pre2", "pre3", "veer" or "touchpad".
    DEVICE = pre

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel", "att" or "wifi".
    CARRIER = wr

Everything works fine apart from the fact that I cannot access the App Catalog, Help, and have updates. I cannot also create a profile. I tried to access the app catalog or create a profile through wifi, through 3g or 2g connection both with my Cyprus and a UK sim card (from Cyprus), but nothing. I also tried through the developer's mode, but also no result.

I really hope someone will be able to help me on this.

Thank you,
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Installing HP's new Maps program removes Google Maps, but with this patch and a little manual step from you, you can save Google Maps from disappearing off your device.

Step 1: download & install the patch (it simply renames the app id from 'maps' to 'googlemaps')

Step 2: use a file manager (like the free Internalz Pro) and browse to /usr/palm/applications/ and rename the folder com.palm.app.maps to com.palm.app.googlemaps. Tap and hold, click 'Info' to rename.
    You may need to enable 'Master mode' under Internalz's preferences. Reboot for safe measure.

Step 3: Now install HP Maps program from the app store.

Please test and report back what WebOS version you have.

Update 10/19/11: patch is now available on Preware for 1.x users, but you still need to perform Step 2 before installing HP Maps. If you're running 2.x, please let me know if you were successful. I don't have a 2.x device to test it myself.

Update 10/22/11: if you already installed HP Maps, see post #10 below - thanks prolongexistence.

Using pre plus verizon w 1.4.5.1. Installed the patch and then changed the name to googlemaps. Installed H/P maps, and now when I open google maps, it asks me to update the maps app, plus I dont know if this is related or not, my wifi is no longer working either.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    ...and now when I open google maps, it asks me to update the maps app
    Yup, Google finally pulled the plug on Google Maps - more specially, the url "http://maps.google.com/maps/m" that Google Maps relied on. Noticed the same thing yesterday

As an alternative, you can download Panel's Google Maps app which is a portal to their web based maps. The site it links to is http://maps.google.com/maps/mm but GPS for me doesn't work as it's all web based.

plus I dont know if this is related or not, my wifi is no longer working either.
    Def not related to the patch as it only renames the old Google Maps' app id. It could be caused by the new Maps program as it updates Pre to support Enyo framework support meaning, this Maps program is more than just an app install - but this is all just speculation by me at this point in time.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 11/13/2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Goodbye Palm Pre... i tried... really, i tried... many times... i wish i could stay. I liked having a different phone that had a slick operating system, but the loss of google maps blows the big one.

It's totally unacceptable... Bing maps just doesn't work for me... and trust me i tried to make it work...

I kinda even hope you get sued over it. But it wont affect me i guess... I've got a droid phone in the mail to me... goodbye.
    I am trying to rename the map file in internalz like the threads suggest so I can get google maps back, hp maps just updated and now my gps is not working or barely.!!!! anyway, when I go to that directory and try to click, it doesn't do anything, also, am I supposed to see the blue "dir" on the right, on the main file /internal/media I see the "dir" and I can press on those files and get option for info. i have rebooted, deleted and reinstalled internalz pro all to no avail. can anyone help me out?
    Quote Originally Posted by cattydiehl View Post
    I am trying to rename the map file in internalz like the threads suggest so I can get google maps back, hp maps just updated and now my gps is not working or barely.!!!! anyway, when I go to that directory and try to click, it doesn't do anything, also, am I supposed to see the blue "dir" on the right, on the main file /internal/media I see the "dir" and I can press on those files and get option for info. i have rebooted, deleted and reinstalled internalz pro all to no avail. can anyone help me out?
    read my post (few) above you and the reply to it
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    read my post (few) above you and the reply to it
    Thanks but I figured it out later, the menus are a little confusing.
    As suggested by the Chinese discussion forum, I tried to change the User Agent of the Veer by replacing a modified file "libWebKitLuna.so" (located at /usr/lib/) with the iPhone user agent, after reboot, the google map works again.
    Palm IIIe > Sony S300 > Sony N700 > Sony TG50 > Sony TH55 > Trēo 680 > Palm Prē > Palm Prē 2 (GSM) + Veer
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewal View Post
    Goodbye Palm Pre... i tried... really, i tried... many times... i wish i could stay. I liked having a different phone that had a slick operating system, but the loss of google maps blows the big one.

It's totally unacceptable... Bing maps just doesn't work for me... and trust me i tried to make it work...

I kinda even hope you get sued over it. But it wont affect me i guess... I've got a droid phone in the mail to me... goodbye.
    +1

I feel the same... Strongly suspect this is an attempt by HP to get the remaining hardcore Pre users to abandon ship... so they can shut down the backup cloud service. Oh wait, they just did that lol.

Between these two things I think there just might be a class action lawsuit possible, especially considering many of us are still under contract and the phone no longer works as advertised.
    Class action suits can sometimes provide the 'easy' way out, and companies would make calculated moves around that.
    It took me awhile, but i got Bing maps plus Gmaps to work by:
    -using internalz to delete all copies from the apps folder (including the maps_restart)
    -restarting
    -bing maps shows up and i installed the user created gmaps from this thread
    Thank you guy for this patch. I use my palm pixi plus but when i run this patch it didn't run
    ----
    Error:

Unable to connect to WebOS_Internals' Server
    Cannot download AUPT scripts for this patch.

I'm new guy, please help me.
    I trust that by now all of you have discovered the HB Google Maps. If not, you're missing out on something special.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    if you are bumping this old stuff go and link to right forum then: New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API

And don't forget to donate to 72ka for this great app.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast