Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Thanks, Yes I am using 1.4.5
    This only gives me the option of google maps or sprint navigation for addresses. I was thinking there must be an area the HP (bing) maps modifies that makes it the default. Maybe by editing with Interalz, I would be able to switch between the two.
    I now have google maps and bing (HP) maps both on my pre. These are both stand alone and should not be at risk of losing. In addition, I have the original google maps with all the other program dependencies working.

To do this I followed the renaming of the maps to googlemaps. Installed the HP maps. renamed the maps to bingmaps. Ran webos repair using webos doctor 1.4.5 and fixed everything that hp maps broke. It's all there:
    2 instances of google maps, 1 instance of bing maps

the renaming was done with internalz

Well, in a few days (very long long days). I backuped up, restored, lost a couple of apps, customized my pre and gained over 10 posts to the forum. Ok, I tried to read everything first and make appropriate posts, so hopefully I didn't leave a lot of junk around :-)

(had to make the 10 to get the webos repair) love it BTW.

thanks for everyone for their posts. Makes me want to buy WebOS from HP and actually make it into the product that it can be. You all would be hired of course.
    for good measure I have also disabled webos updates, just in case more control from hp is coming down the pike.
    I did this on 2.1. I didnt use the patch though. Just renamed everything manually with Internalz Pro, restarted, installed Maps from the App Catalog and BAM! done.

The Default Application screen lists only 'Maps' and Yelp opens Bing Maps now when i ask it to map a location. Note: This also replaces Google Maps in the 'Just Type' menu and there seems to be no way to bring Google Maps back. Probably needs another patch.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I made one for 2.1.0. I guess the question is how to incorporate the directory name change to be in the patch as well? Is that possible?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Thanks! Will this break associations with other apps tho?
    **Update** I decided to "go for it anyways" I tested myself and am happy to report....everything is still intact and now have both maps and the latitude stuff is working like a champ!! Nice work everyone!

Did any users of the app "Google Latitude Assistant 1.1.1 (By JM Productions) happen to try this? Wondering if the "Launch google latitude" button n the bottom left corner still invokes the google latitude/maps page listing your contacts/locations etc etc.

Could someone please test this and report back? Much appreciated!

Wayne
    Last edited by wbarter; 10/25/2011 at 09:42 PM.
    twitter: fundserv
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    where can i get the latest palm google maps. on this forum they only have 1.0. its basic and rubbish.
    i want the one which came with 2.1.0 . i think its palm google maps version 2.0

please help.
    cheers
    If you follow the steps that I posted here but use the doctor for 2.1.0 then you will get the gmaps that you are looking for

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Dear all.
    I can't install this patch on my pixi plus.
    It note:
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 10908 100 10908 0 0 6344 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 13286
    identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too.postinst 2>&1
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff --git a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json b/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    |index beb12ba..15f3397 100644
    |--- a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    |+++ b/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

please help me
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by anap123 View Post
    Dear all.
    I can't install this patch on my pixi plus.
    It note:
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 10908 100 10908 0 0 6344 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 13286
    identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too.postinst 2>&1
    The text leading up to this was:
    |diff --git a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json b/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    |index beb12ba..15f3397 100644
    |--- a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    |+++ b/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-save-google-maps---while-having-hp-maps-too.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

please help me
    Thanks.
    Make it for yourself: check the other posts......the only thing you need to do is rename the id's in the appinfo.json files of the maps app: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps. Inside the resources's folder too!!!

That's what the patch does for you (I think...... )..........so.......I think that's not too hard to do!!! XD
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Hi everybody: Well.......here are my steps to keep Google Maps on your Palm Pre (webOS 2.1.0):

1.- Delete the Bing Maps app (hold down orange or white botton, depending on the model of your Pre + tap on the icon of the app).

2.- Restart your Pre.

3.- Install this file extracted from a webOS Doctor, with webOS Quick Install or Preware.

4.- You must to have installed Internalz Pro and have enabled the option "master mode" preferably.

5.- You go to the following folder browsing with Internalz Pro (the patch of the first post didn't help me):
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.googlemaps/

6.- Move that first folder above to the next one with Internalz Pro:
    /usr/palm/applications/

7.- You must restart your Pre.

8.- Here you go!!! Google Maps again on your Palm Pre!!!

9.- If you want it, you can download again the Bing Maps app and have the two apps on your smartphone!!!

10.- It seems that at any time Google Maps abandon us............
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    on 1.45 pre minus, I installed patch, renamed, and downloaded bing maps. When I launch googlemaps, however, i get the statement "Please tap here to update to the new maps app".

What do I do? I hate bing maps as it is ridiculously slow and heinous looking.
    In post 10, it mentions "Ran webOS Rapair Utility". What program is that?
    thanks

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    As of Nov 1st, the api on google changed. So unless the patch community can come up with something, google maps for webos is dead. RIP
    prolly the last straw and ICS here i come. (when it comes to sprint that is)
    Seems like gmaps still works for the veer, anyone got one of these?
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...highlight=maps
    Does this patch work, now that it looks like some other related stuff happened Nov 1st?
    By the way I installed the bingmaps before I saw this thread, and even with GPS fix, could not get bingmaps to show my location. I did get trapster and bfgmaps to show my position.
    Note that for traffic, bingmaps only shows highways, not other main roads like google maps.

Preplus 1.4.5.1 on Verizon...
    Damn it!!! mc_gusto you´re right!!! Google Maps it's dead!!! Here in Mexico too!!! I don't like Bing Maps!!! We have BFG Maps......but there's a bug that reset my Pre 2 each time I run it!!! Damn it......I don't understand!!!

I have 1.4.5 palm pre for AT&T.

When I try and open google maps i get a link to an update. That links takes me to a webpage that is very small and I cannot zoom in to see what it says. Keypad shortcut for zoom maybe?

Nevermind: I installed HP maps and now google maps is gone.
    I didn't see any mention of this in the thread, but after I installed the patch from preware, it said a Luna Restart Is Required. Is this necessary before I edit/do step2, or will it be taken care of when I reboot after step 2?

Great, as soon as I posted this, I saw the last few posts...I guess there is nothing to do but install Maps...rats, I depend of Google Maps, I'm skeptical that Bing Maps will give me as much service as Google Maps (particularly in traffic info).
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Great, as soon as I posted this, I saw the last few posts...I guess there is nothing to do but install Maps...rats, I depend of Google Maps, I'm skeptical that Bing Maps will give me as much service as Google Maps (particularly in traffic info).
    Have you used it? I have found good results from BFG with traffic - should not be different from google in that it uses their data...
    chalx likes this.
    I've used BFG maps a few times, often lately it won't display the "my location" blue dot, so I've avoided using it. I just tried it and the location dot was there, so I'll give it a go.

By the way, I just donated $5 do BFG Maps, it's worth it I think. Also, I think donating will get rid of the add line. I don't know how, maybe I'll get a code or download link from the developer for an add free version?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast