webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Charging Alert Sound Preference
[Patch] Charging Alert Sound Preference
View Poll Results: Did the patch help?
Yes, thanks 18 81.82%
No, have reported my problem 3 13.64%
No thanks, I don't need this patch 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes

Old 10/08/2011, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

This patch helps you control the sound alert that you hear, when you connect a charger to your device.

A new preference is added to the 'Sounds and Ringtones' application to control this. The available options would be:
Sound
Vibrate
Mute

I thought this would be a better way rather than create two different patches, one for Vibrate and one for None.

And because the patch makes use of the System Preferences storage, you should be able to use it along with apps like Mode Switcher to set different preferences for different modes. Say Vibrate for 'Work' mode, Sound for 'Home' mode, Mute for 'Car' mode, etc. I haven't tested it with Mode Switcher personally, but just a thought.

Updates:
  • 2011-10-30: Included Spanish translations
  • 2011-10-15: Updated to make it work on devices set to Non-English languages (DE, ES, FR, IT, etc)

Issues/Limitations:
If you have some of the 'Advanced' patches from sconix installed, this patch may not install/work, as there are overlaps. To my knowledge, these are the ones that might create a conflict:
- Advanced System Behavior
- Advanced System Menus - Framework
- Advanced System Menus - Mode Menu
- Advanced System Menus - Power Menu
- Advanced System Prefs - Framework
- Advanced System Prefs - System Prefs

Each one of you might have one or more of these patches installed. The challenge is going to make this patch work with each of those combinations.

Credits:
  • juggernaut - German translations
  • CptOx - Spanish translations
  • Everybody else for testing and reporting back their results

I have tested this on my EU Pre 3 running 2.2.0 build 3171.

Please post back your results.

Thanks.

Last edited by sara.ramli; 10/30/2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Updated for spanish translations
sara.ramli is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ZehHa and Dinoearl like this.
Old 10/08/2011, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

great patch !
Old 10/08/2011, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wasn't able to install, any ideas?

UK Pre 3 on 2.2.0, MU2.0.30(3500).

Begin
Nothing Interesting.
Download
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
100 12456 100 12456 0 0 19596 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 30604
Identify
org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-charging-alert-sound-preference
Install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
Mkdir-Prerm
Nothing Interesting.
Install-Prerm
Nothing Interesting.
Postinst
-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-charging-alert-sound-preference.postinst 2>&1
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.js.rej
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app/controllers/soundsalertsconfig-assistant.js.rej
Remove
Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-charging-alert-sound-preference from root...
(offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-charging-alert-sound-preference.prerm)
Delete
Nothing Interesting.
Failed
Nothing Interesting.

-- Sent from my HP Pre 3

Last edited by Phreemann; 10/08/2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot firmware info
Phreemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreemann View Post
I wasn't able to install, any ideas?

UK Pre 3 on 2.2.0, MU2.0.30(3500).

Postinst
-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-charging-alert-sound-preference.postinst 2>&1
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.js.rej
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app/controllers/soundsalertsconfig-assistant.js.rej

-- Sent from my HP Pre 3
Possible reasons:

1. Do you have any other patch installed for either the 'Sounds & Ringtones' app or for the top-bar? As you can see from the log, changes to both these files 'bar-assistant.js" (topbar) and 'soundsalertsconfig-assistant.js' are failing. If yes, you can try removing those patches and install this to see if it helps. At least to narrow down the issue. I presume you installed it from Preware and if yes, the AUPT technology should have helped, even if the files were previously patched by another patch. Not sure how exactly the conflicts would be resolved by AUPT.

2. If you dont have any patches installed for either of them, but had them installed in the past, can you do a Emergency Patch Recovery followed by Emergency File Verification? Both are available under Preware -> Available Packages -> Linux Application -> Utilities. They don't actually install to your device, but do a scan and report back the results.

3. My firmware and OS version are the same as yours. I was able to install it both using WOSQI and Preware. What is the build number of your OS? I tested mine on build 3171.

Old 10/09/2011, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Build number 3171. The patch installed fine after running EPR - I had sconix's advanced system prefs and menu bar patches, which I guess may have interfered. Thanks very much for the help.
Phreemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Build number 3171. The patch installed fine after running EPR - I had sconix's advanced system prefs and menu bar patches, which I guess may have interfered. Thanks very much for the help.
Glad that I was able to help
Old 10/09/2011, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

So I guess this means that the mode switcher idea is actually a no-go then since the patch won't work with the advanced patches Sconix put out?
I love the idea of the patch and really appreciate you putting it together - maybe you could coordinate with sconix so that your patch could be made compatible with his too?
Thanks for your efforts and this patch!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 10/10/2011, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Doesn't work for me. I hav just this patch (plus the two packages it says it requires).

After installing, I can not make any selection at all within the sound control panel, including the settings that were possible previously (suh as ringer volume). No selection of sound possible, no volume slider displayed any more.

Deleting the patch (and keeping the two prerequisite patches) enables using the control panel again ("Töne und Klingeltöne" in German).

Funny enough, I run webOS 2.2.0 build 3171, but my Pre is set to German language.
tomjuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

it´s just the same like tomjuggels over here (german version).
Quote:
Build number 3171. The patch installed fine after running EPR ...
same build here, but EPR didn´t help.

yes, after EPR the patch installed fine - but messed up the sound pref panel completely. I could not set anything within that panel and therefore reverted back to the config I had before (which leads to not being able to install the patch at all).

If the patch can´t be made to work with modeswitcher and sconix´ pachtes, it´s going to be a hard decision, ´cause MS needs sconix´ patches in order to be able to set things like "charging event", which is pretty important to me.

I desperately waited for this, so pls make it work!
juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjuggles View Post
Doesn't work for me. I hav just this patch (plus the two packages it says it requires).

After installing, I can not make any selection at all within the sound control panel, including the settings that were possible previously (suh as ringer volume). No selection of sound possible, no volume slider displayed any more.

Deleting the patch (and keeping the two prerequisite patches) enables using the control panel again ("Töne und Klingeltöne" in German).

Funny enough, I run webOS 2.2.0 build 3171, but my Pre is set to German language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post

yes, after EPR the patch installed fine - but messed up the sound pref panel completely. I could not set anything within that panel and therefore reverted back to the config I had before (which leads to not being able to install the patch at all).

If the patch can´t be made to work with modeswitcher and sconix´ pachtes, it´s going to be a hard decision, ´cause MS needs sconix´ patches in order to be able to set things like "charging event", which is pretty important to me.

Ok, I guess I have found out what the issue is.

Can I have German translations for these words please:
  • Charger
  • Notification
  • None

And preferably, Spanish, French & Italian translations would also help users of those languages.

I'll try and fix them together.

I could have used Google Translate, but with multiple suggestions for certain words, I would have never been able to decide.

I'll post back whether I can make this work with Sconix's Patches.
Old 10/11/2011, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Are you able to update to work with Sconix' patches?
Old 10/12/2011, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
Can I have German translations for these words please:
  • Charger
  • Notification
  • None
I assume you need the words that are used within webOS-DE? It´s
  • "Ladegerät"
  • "Benachrichtigung"
  • depends on where and how it´used - should be "Keiner", but I can´t tell for sure
I could tell better if you´d tell in which context they are used. In english, a "charger" and a "USB Cable" don´t have a semantical sex, so no charger would be "None" just as "No Cable" would be "None". But in german, a "charger" is masculine and a "cable" is neutral - if "None" is meant for "Charger", it´d be "Keiner", if it´s meant for a cable, it´d be "Keins".

But I can tell that ModeSwitcher works with english words ("charger").
Thanked By: sara.ramli
Old 10/12/2011, 12:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I assume you need the words that are used within webOS-DE? It´s
  • "Ladegerät"
  • "Benachrichtigung"
  • depends on where and how it´used - should be "Keiner", but I can´t tell for sure
I could tell better if you´d tell in which context they are used. In english, a "charger" and a "USB Cable" don´t have a semantical sex, so no charger would be "None" just as "No Cable" would be "None". But in german, a "charger" is masculine and a "cable" is neutral - if "None" is meant for "Charger", it´d be "Keiner", if it´s meant for a cable, it´d be "Keins".

But I can tell that ModeSwitcher works with english words ("charger").
Thanks for the translations. As for the context, if you refer to the screenshot in this thread's first post, you will understand what I am seeking.

The new preference appears like this:
A new row-group by name 'Charger'
A row in that group with the label as 'Notification' and possible options as 'Sound', 'Vibrate' & 'None'

Am hoping that your translations still hold good.
1. What would be 'None' now, given this context?
2. And the word 'Benachrichtigung' seems to be a bit long for the screen and gets truncated (with dots at the end). Is there another word for the same meaning that is shorter or you dont mind the truncation?

EDIT: Forget about 'None'. Will use the word 'Mute' and its equivalent, as that seems to be the norm in the 'Sounds and Ringtones' application.

Last edited by sara.ramli; 10/12/2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Mute instead of None
Old 10/13/2011, 06:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
The new preference appears like this:
A new row-group by name 'Charger'
A row in that group with the label as 'Notification' and possible options as 'Sound', 'Vibrate' & 'None'

Am hoping that your translations still hold good.
no, i´m afraid not.

in german a new row called "Charger", meaning "everything that has to do with charging", would probably be called "Laden" or, more technically, "Ladevorgang" (the first is the term for what´s going on, the second a technical term). the term "Ladegerät" would only apply to the regular out-of-the-box charger, not for an USB cable or a touchstone. I guess "Laden" would be as close as you can get. "Benachrichtigung" for "notification" would be fine I guess.

the options would be
  • "Systemton" (system tone)
  • "Vibrieren"
  • "Stumm" (like "mute")
I took these off the sound prefs panel where you can set the options for the mute switch ("vibrate", "mute").
Thanked By: sara.ramli
Old 10/15/2011, 03:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
no, i´m afraid not.

in german a new row called "Charger", meaning "everything that has to do with charging", would probably be called "Laden" or, more technically, "Ladevorgang" (the first is the term for what´s going on, the second a technical term). the term "Ladegerät" would only apply to the regular out-of-the-box charger, not for an USB cable or a touchstone. I guess "Laden" would be as close as you can get. "Benachrichtigung" for "notification" would be fine I guess.

the options would be
  • "Systemton" (system tone)
  • "Vibrieren"
  • "Stumm" (like "mute")
I took these off the sound prefs panel where you can set the options for the mute switch ("vibrate", "mute").
I have updated the patch file (refer First Post). It should now work with Non-English user interface languages like German, Spanish, French.
Old 10/15/2011, 03:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anseld1986 View Post
So I guess this means that the mode switcher idea is actually a no-go then since the patch won't work with the advanced patches Sconix put out?
I love the idea of the patch and really appreciate you putting it together - maybe you could coordinate with sconix so that your patch could be made compatible with his too?
Thanks for your efforts and this patch!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum View Post
Are you able to update to work with Sconix' patches?
As far as making it work with Sconix's patches, which one of those Advanced Patches do you have installed? I guess there's going to be different combinations of installations, but will help me analyse, if and how I can make the patch work with those.
Old 10/15/2011, 05:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Preware says: This package is not currently available for WebOS 2.1.0 .. does it work on HP Veer (german)?
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 06:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
My Preware says: This package is not currently available for WebOS 2.1.0 .. does it work on HP Veer (german)?
Don't have a Veer. You can try installing the patch file provided here using WOSQI.
Old 10/15/2011, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
Quote:
Don't have a Veer. You can try installing the patch file provided here using WOSQI.
Just tried it on an Emulator image of a Veer and the screens come up correctly. Unfortunately, I can only do that much with the emulator. Can't really check if the sounds get muted, when plugged in to a wall charger - the emulator is pretty limited in capabilities of that sort. But I don't see a reason, why they should fail. If you can confirm, I'll go ahead and submit the update to Preware
Old 10/16/2011, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

This what I have installed from Sconix:

EU Pre 3 here, happy to test. I REALLY like you're patch and am shattered I cat use it.

Last edited by brum; 10/17/2011 at 02:44 AM.
brum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, pre 3, sounds & ringtones

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0