Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By dadueler
  • 1 Post By falshamran
  • 1 Post By CvvB
  1.    #1  
    السلام عليكم

Special thanks to Shura, Amjz, and CvvB!

This patch is similar to amjz's in that it allows you to type in Arabic using the hardware keyboard on webOS phones (Pre-, Pre+, Pre2, Veer, Pre3).
    I am currently using it on my Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 successful. I used to have this installed on my Pre+ but don't have it anymore to test on. I've been using this for over a year with success (except for some reason, Sprint won't let me send texts in Arabic, although I can receive them).

The keyboard layout is not the typical Arabic keyboard layout some of you may be familiar with. Instead it is based on an old XP windows keyboard layout by Gyula Zsigri (Arabic for Windows). You can visit this page for more information.

This is designed to be easy for someone used to English keyboards. So, for example, the م is on the m, the ن on the n, ب on the b, etc... Arabic letters are paired to their English phonetic equivalents. This really helps in being able to type in Arabic if you're not familiar with the traditional Arabic Keyboard Layout.

Incidentally, Zsigri's program doesn't work with Windows Vista/7 so I've made a layout that does. Also available below.

Double tap the SYM button to switch between Arabic and English!

PREREQUISITES:
    Make sure you have an arabic font installed. I would recommend you follow CvvB's arabization guide here (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ion-webos.html). He has done an AMAZING job, ماشاءالله

Install GNU Patch and Lsdiff from Preware - Linux Applications, these are required for all patches.

USAGE
    Download and install the .patch file through WEBOSQI, Preware, or Internalz
    I need to work on submitting this to Preware, please advise if you know how

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
    Often, the first letter still shows up in English.
    Also the ف seems to always show up in it's "middle of a word" form even if it is the last letter.

If you notice other problems, please let me know. Please post your experiences below!

مشكوووور

~DaDueler

LINKS
    Phonetic Arabic Keyboard for webOS phones v0.3
    ZumoDrive - ArabicPhoneticKB-0.3.patch

Phonetic Arabic Keyboard for Windows Vista / 7
    ZumoDrive - Arabic (101)- Imran's Phonetic Keyboard 0.91 BETA.zip

CvvB's Arabization guide for webOS
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ion-webos.html
    Go here for the best arabic font and arabization setup, follow CvvB's excellent guide!

LAYOUTS
    See attached .jpgs
    They show the Windows Keyboard Layout, which is roughly identical to the webOS layout.
    Generally, adding shift gives you the 'heavier' or مفخم equivalent of the letter, ie shift + s = ص, shift + d = ض, etc...

Regular layout: ZumoDrive - ArabicKB.jpg
    Shift layout: ZumoDrive - ArabicKBShft.jpg

CLICK HERE TO DONATE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaDueler; 10/21/2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Double tap SYM to switch between keyboards
    CvvB, sara.ramli and amjz like this.
    that awesome

Thank you very much
    dadueler likes this.
    Is there any Phonetic Arabic Keyboard for Mac OS?
    You beat me to the idea

Nice and great work ...

I am working on the same idea but never got to finalize it because of other things I got to do in the Arabization area. I will try to do it and send it over to you so you can continue the development off that. My idea would be the ability to use the letter ( ' ) as a special character and inputing the following:
    ' then 3, would give you غ for example. The idea is still cooking up in my mind; however, for me personally, I would prefer this mentioned idea.

Let us see what happens next

Regards,
    dadueler likes this.
    Dear DaDueler,

I try install patch and i got massage requires GUN Patch and Lsdiff
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazorde View Post
    Dear DaDueler,

I try install patch and i got massage requires GUN Patch and Lsdiff
    You can find GNU Patch and Lsdiff in Preware, look under Linux Applications! Thanks for pointing this out, I added them to the prerequisites.

PS. I've never used a mac so I don't know anything about it, sorry...
    Last edited by DaDueler; 10/09/2011 at 02:10 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Great minds think alike

Try this layout, it works well for special characters and doesn't require knowing combinations. Zsgiri's approach is pretty ingenious, so it's easy to remember what's what. For example, the ع is on the E, the ش on the w (see the similarities?).

On the other hand, ذ is on the v, because they're both similar sounds (in terms of their production and quality). ا = a و = u ي = i so all vowels are matched to vowels. Adding shift to the vowels adds a ء, giving you آ ؤ ئ (by the way is the letter c=ء - again similar shape).

The only tricky ones to remember include the ث on the y (comes after t = ت) and the ى is shift+y. Everything else is pretty intuitive, but maybe because I've gotten so used to it...

Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    You beat me to the idea

Nice and great work ...

I am working on the same idea but never got to finalize it because of other things I got to do in the Arabization area. I will try to do it and send it over to you so you can continue the development off that. My idea would be the ability to use the letter ( ' ) as a special character and inputing the following:
    ' then 3, would give you غ for example. The idea is still cooking up in my mind; however, for me personally, I would prefer this mentioned idea.

Let us see what happens next

Regards,
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    How can I switch between keyboards?
  9.    #9  
    Sorry, just double tap the SYM button!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by amcolian View Post
    How can I switch between keyboards?
    Sorry, just double tap the SYM button!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    dear
    i can't install this patch with WEBOSQI i get error for AT&T PALM PRE+ VERSION 1.4.5
    I Install GNU Patch and Lsdiff
    what i have to do
    thanks a lot
    - Pressing "س" in Just Type shows up as "sس".

In messaging:

- when I press "S" (no shift) I get a "ص", when I press S again then I get a "س".
    - same situation with "D". I get a "ض", but pressing it again gives me a "د"

This also happens in the email client, but only in the "Subject" and "Body" sections. It does not happen in to "To:" field.

Haven't used it too much, will report back if I have more issues.
  13.    #13  
    Try putting a comma before typing... that usually fixes it...
    when sending the patch file using webOS quick install, where to am I supposed to send it?
    what's the destination folder that I will send the .patch file in to?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Salam,

I hope this thread is still alive. I installed the patch long time ago and it has an issue that I wish you can help fix it. The only letter that is not working fine is the letter ﻑ which is always written in its intial form "ﻓ". So the word "سيف" is written سيﻓ

NOTE: I just noticed this has been mentioned above.
    Thanks