Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 326
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Thanks for packaging this. The poor rendering of pdf files has been my biggest disappointment with the TouchPad so far. I was hoping to use it more for reading pdf magazines.

    This patch motivated me to try the WebOS Quick Installer for the first time, and it went smoothly enough. I can clearly see the effect on text documents. Unfortunately I'm still a bit disappointed with the poor rendering of pdf image documents. The TouchPad doesn't render the page images nearly as well as my PC. It's clear that the PC is anti-aliasing at all zoom scales, while the TouchPad is not anti-aliasing at all, resulting in pretty ragged rendering of details when the image resolution doesn't match the screen resolution.
    Did you try the "P" one? This helps to better match the screen resolution with the PDF. I know it only does so much.
  2. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #82  
    I did try the P setting. It does make a small improvement on text pdf files, but it's not much help with the image pdf files. What would help is to render the pages at exactly the same resolution as the original page image in the pdf file. For example if the original page image in the pdf source is 850 x 1400, output the intermediate page file on the TP at exactly that resolution (or an even multiple like 50% if it's just too big). Then there would be no need for anti-aliasing. Is that possible? Does the app even have access to that information about the original image size?

    Let me try to make this clear with a sample image. The one on the right is a zoomed-in image from the magazine page on my PC monitor (screen cap). The one on the left is resampled at a different resolution (75%), and appears similar to the image on the TouchPad (at any quality setting: L, M, H, or P - they all look about the same)

    Last edited by Semma2; 10/15/2011 at 09:41 AM.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I did try the P setting. It does make a small improvement on text pdf files, but it's not much help with the image pdf files. What would help is to render the pages at exactly the same resolution as the original page image in the pdf file. For example if the original page image in the pdf source is 850 x 1400, output the intermediate page file on the TP at exactly that resolution (or an even multiple like 50% if it's just too big). Then there would be no need for anti-aliasing. Is that possible? Does the app even have access to that information about the original image size?

    Let me try to make this clear with a sample image. The one on the right is a zoomed-in image from the magazine page on my PC monitor (screen cap). The one on the left is resampled at a different resolution (75%), and appears similar to the image on the TouchPad (at any quality setting: L, M, H, or P - they all look about the same)

    Click to view quoted image
    It is possible because it needs the page's size to calculate the zoom ratio. But I will look at testing it. They have some PDF readers coming out so it might be a moot point. Give me a few days.
  4. #84  
    Newbee question. I installed the ipk file through Preware on my Touchpad. How do I launch the pdf viewer? There is no icon in apps.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    Newbee question. I installed the ipk file through Preware on my Touchpad. How do I launch the pdf viewer? There is no icon in apps.
    You should see adobe reader under APPS I believe.
  6. #86  
    Sorry, I thought there might be a different icon. I had anadobe reader icon in there before, but I guess this is a fix or update for it. Is that correct?
  7. #87  
    it's a patch for that program.
  8. #88  
    Hi, I can not download v1.3, could you send me email? kunlun333@gmail.com, thanks.
  9. #89  
    after installing this patch I launched my RSS Basic Free app and all my feeds were gone? Would this be related somehow?

    thanks in advance
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by burchmanu View Post
    after installing this patch I launched my RSS Basic Free app and all my feeds were gone? Would this be related somehow?

    thanks in advance
    Nope. Did you upgrade to 3.0.4? If so that would be the more likely cause.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

  11. #91  
    I did upgrade but it was working fine after that, wasn't until I loaded this patch and than tried to run the app that I didn't see anything in the feeds.
  12. #92  
    my fault, Reboot fixed it
  13. #93  
    Im finding a small degradation of quality after installing 1.3 even when using H or P settings. Im currently running WebOS 3.0.4.

    Anyone else seeing this issue?
  14. #94  
    I upgraded to webOS v3.04 yesterday and the PDF Reader v1.3 patch was working fine after the update, however today there was an Adobe Reader patch in the Software Manager which updates Adobe Reader to v10.3.406. After installing the Adobe Reader update, the PDF Reader v10.3.351_1.3 patch was no longer working (Adobe Reader launches but the patch options are not there). I then uninstalled the v1.3 patch using Internalz and the OPS's instructions. After rebooting the TouchPad, I reinstalled the 1.3 patch using webOS Quick Install, but the Adobe Reader still launches normal without the patch options. When I went to uninstall the patch the second time, I noticed the patch folders and configuration changes to the depends.jsjsjs $file$ $were$ $not$ $present$, $so$ $I$ $assume$ $the$ $PDF$ $Reader$ $v10$.$3$.$351_1$.$3$ $patch$ $is$ $not$ $compatible$ $with$ $the$ $latest$ $Adobe$ $Reader$ $v10$.$3$.$406$.
  15. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #95  
    Pretty much to be expected... the code changed, so the patch doesn't find the exact thing it is looking for.

    The good news is that the app seems to have updated in a way that is entirely functional. So there's no problem updating with the patch installed, you just lose the nifty stuff. Now we just have to wait for the patch to be updated for the new version. (Which supposedly is faster.)
  16. #96  
    I am looking at a patch for the update. Give me a few days....have classes to get thru.
  17. #97  
    I would appreciate, if you could bring this patch to the Preware Feeds, this would make things a lot easier, wouldn't it?
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I would appreciate, if you could bring this patch to the Preware Feeds, this would make things a lot easier, wouldn't it?
    Technically it's not a patch it's a complete install and as such I don't think it would or should be accepted in preware since it's a modified commercial application. Ideally QO would incorporate these improvements into their application. I am not sure they would but it might not hurt to ask.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    I am looking at a patch for the update. Give me a few days....have classes to get thru.
    I may have some time tomorrow to do a merge. I'll let you know.
  20.    #100  
    Just got your PM looks like you beat me to it.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions