Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 326
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #261  
    I was so disappointed when I got my touchpad a couple of weeks ago, mostly because of the crappy PDF reader. This has totally changed my opinion! I am REALLY looking forward to annotations. Thanks!!
  2. #262  
    Superb work! This app is now light years ahead of the default stone knives and bear skins version, thanks to your efforts and those of your colleagues.

    Came to this party a bit late and have only ever installed the latest 1.8.5 version which is a delight. Only thing that doesn't seem to work well for me is double-tapping results in a kazillion % zoom factor. I might need that when I finally turn 90 but not quite yet Little glitch perhaps? No biggie really as you can pinch back the zoom to the desired level. Just thought I'd mention this. What is the double screen tap designed to do exactly?
  3. #263  
    I kind of like the kazillion% zoom, depending on what I'm looking at. Although that would be cool if it was adjustable.
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    I kind of like the kazillion% zoom, depending on what I'm looking at. Although that would be cool if it was adjustable.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzione1 View Post
    Superb work! This app is now light years ahead of the default stone knives and bear skins version, thanks to your efforts and those of your colleagues.

    Came to this party a bit late and have only ever installed the latest 1.8.5 version which is a delight. Only thing that doesn't seem to work well for me is double-tapping results in a kazillion % zoom factor. I might need that when I finally turn 90 but not quite yet Little glitch perhaps? No biggie really as you can pinch back the zoom to the desired level. Just thought I'd mention this. What is the double screen tap designed to do exactly?
    @fuzzione1-Double tap goes to max zoom which is 10X that is why it is so big.
    @Dogma and fuzzione1- the next version will include the ability to set max zoom and a few other things.
    Dogma likes this.
  5. #265  
    You guys are starting to run out of room on the toolbar with all these great tweaks. Would it be possible to add things like this to the menu?
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    You guys are starting to run out of room on the toolbar with all these great tweaks. Would it be possible to add things like this to the menu?
    LOL....other small thing in the next update...I have it worked out and running on my touchpad but my laptop's power block just broke today. So give me sometime to get it sent off to be packaged.
    Dogma likes this.
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    @fuzzione1-Double tap goes to max zoom which is 10X that is why it is so big.
    @Dogma and fuzzione1- the next version will include the ability to set max zoom and a few other things.
    That's terrific knownboyofno, can't wait for the next release! I'm certain many would find this added functionality quite useful. I also think it would be great if a max zoom could be user assigned for the double tap, but overridden by pinch zoom if so desired.

    Again, sincerest thanks for all your efforts.
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockus_123 View Post
    Thank you for the patches. For me, so far, version 1.85 is the best one yet. Although there ar still issues:

    1. Some pdfs (but not others) are slower when turning pages, with the spinner at the top bar spinning on each turn. I've sent the link of the pdf to knownboyofno.

    2. Double tap (zoom and unzoom) is much improved with 1.85, but still some glitches and inconsistencies. The stock version has the best double tap still.

    3. There's a small band left over of the previous page at the top of the current page.

    Thank you for a great update.
    I just read this post and now understand why I got that PM. I can include some code( by another person who posted on here) that renders N pages. So page turning could be faster because they will be pre-rendered thus load faster. Not sure what you mean but glitches with the double tap zoom. The small band left over has been there the whole time...I have an idea("know") on how to fix that. I might be able to get that into the next update too.
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzione1 View Post
    That's terrific knownboyofno, can't wait for the next release! I'm certain many would find this added functionality quite useful. I also think it would be great if a max zoom could be user assigned for the double tap, but overridden by pinch zoom if so desired.

    Again, sincerest thanks for all your efforts.
    I am not sure because it just uses the max zoom...let me think about it. I kinda thought about this too because I had the super zoom thing happen to me.
  10. filmor_'s Avatar
    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #270  
    I just noticed, that my arxservice doesn't work with WebOS versions older than 3.0.4. I won't have internet access for the next month, so if someone wants to take a shot on compiling it against the 3.0.2 SDK, the sources are still online at http://github.com/filmor/webos-pdf.
  11. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #271  
    I was reading some more magazines with the 1.8.5 patched reader today, and I noticed a few issues.

    But first let me just say again what a pleasure it is to be able to read these magazines properly at last. The text and images are sharp, panning is smooth, and flipping pages ahead is fast enough even at high resolution.

    Issues:
    - I notice that the page numbers in the pdf document aren't matching up to the page numbers shown in the navigation bar of the reader. For example, the actual page in the document is 75, but the navigation bar shows 87.
    - At one point I tried to skip 10 pages ahead by entering a new page number in the nav bar, and the document closed with an error. But it was on the correct new page when re-opened.
    - I find paging forward and back a bit awkward with this reader. Dragging the page up or down and getting it to slide to the new page without minimizing the window is tricky. Tapping the lower right or left works better, but it's a narrow spot to hit without popping up the nav bar instead. Couldn't this be modified to use a more sensible scheme like any tap in the right or left 1/3 of the page flips it forward or back (like my Kobo Touch).
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I was reading some more magazines with the 1.8.5 patched reader today, and I noticed a few issues.

    But first let me just say again what a pleasure it is to be able to read these magazines properly at last. The text and images are sharp, panning is smooth, and flipping pages ahead is fast enough even at high resolution.

    Issues:
    - I notice that the page numbers in the pdf document aren't matching up to the page numbers shown in the navigation bar of the reader. For example, the actual page in the document is 75, but the navigation bar shows 87.
    - At one point I tried to skip 10 pages ahead by entering a new page number in the nav bar, and the document closed with an error. But it was on the correct new page when re-opened.
    - I find paging forward and back a bit awkward with this reader. Dragging the page up or down and getting it to slide to the new page without minimizing the window is tricky. Tapping the lower right or left works better, but it's a narrow spot to hit without popping up the nav bar instead. Couldn't this be modified to use a more sensible scheme like any tap in the right or left 1/3 of the page flips it forward or back (like my Kobo Touch).
    -Page 87 is the actual page if you were to count all the pages including table of contents too.

    -That is a new issue haven't heard of that problem before. Have you had it occur any other time with the same file or another file?

    -If you tap the right side or left side of the page it also changes the pages. The area is large enough to be easily tapped. I am going to increase the bottom ones in the next update. Although, it will not be 1/3 of the page because I found it annoying personally.

    Hope that helps.
  13. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    -That is a new issue haven't heard of that problem before. Have you had it occur any other time with the same file or another file?
    That's the only time I've seen the document close with an error on goto page. It didn't happen when I tried it again in the same document. Maybe a timing thing? It happened when I skipped ahead after stepping through several pages of ads quickly without waiting for it to fully render each page.

    -If you tap the right side or left side of the page it also changes the pages. The area is large enough to be easily tapped.
    The tap area at the left and right edge seems awfully narrow to me, maybe 1/8"? Is it supposed to be bigger?
  14. #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    That's the only time I've seen the document close with an error on goto page. It didn't happen when I tried it again in the same document. Maybe a timing thing? It happened when I skipped ahead after stepping through several pages of ads quickly without waiting for it to fully render each page.



    The tap area at the left and right edge seems awfully narrow to me, maybe 1/8"? Is it supposed to be bigger?
    Well to me it is very annoying having 2/3 of my page as a go to page button because when I testing changes I use the menu alot(even when I am just using it to read too). So trying to bring it up is very annoying and I would change pages by mistake. So making the area large enough to easily tap if you are touching near the edge appears to be the best comprise between the two worlds. But I have doubled the sides and bottom to be about 80px (~11% with total ~44%) I hope that is enough. Sorry for the long post.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by devwithoutpower View Post
    I am about to implement annotations (after I am finished with folder support in file manager) ... feel free to describe how would you like to use it ...
    This is great news. For me there are three functions that must be easily accessible at all times without hindering each other: page turns, annotations, and zoom. Every android PDF app I've seen makes it a great chore to annotate. If I need to zoom a certain paragraph to annotate, I have to toggle off annotation, zoom, then toggle on annotation, after which I can finally mark up a passage. To turn to the next page, I have to toggle off annotation yet again, and begin the process again. Very frustrating. Having to constantly toggle back and forth among these three very basic functions is a cumbersome chore.

    As far as how to implement these features so they don't interfere with each other, I'm not a developer, but one thought is to bring up a contextual menu for page turns enabled by a sideways swipe from the bezel. There's a web browser patch that has such a function.

    Zooming might require a 2-point multitouch, and for annotating, a single point touch might be used to differentiate them.

    These are some basic user interface features that would make PDF annotation useable.
  16. #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by ns6490 View Post
    This is great news. For me there are three functions that must be easily accessible at all times without hindering each other: page turns, annotations, and zoom. Every android PDF app I've seen makes it a great chore to annotate. If I need to zoom a certain paragraph to annotate, I have to toggle off annotation, zoom, then toggle on annotation, after which I can finally mark up a passage. To turn to the next page, I have to toggle off annotation yet again, and begin the process again. Very frustrating. Having to constantly toggle back and forth among these three very basic functions is a cumbersome chore.

    As far as how to implement these features so they don't interfere with each other, I'm not a developer, but one thought is to bring up a contextual menu for page turns enabled by a sideways swipe from the bezel. There's a web browser patch that has such a function.

    Zooming might require a 2-point multitouch, and for annotating, a single point touch might be used to differentiate them.

    These are some basic user interface features that would make PDF annotation useable.
    Before we even start discussing implementation details and interface ... I want to make sure you understand how (default) Adobe Reader on TP works: it is basically IMAGE VIEWER app - where every page in any pdf file is rendered into simple PNG image ... so from UI perspective: you are annotating PNG images, not pages and/or text in pdf document. There is alternative service binary that you can use that works differently - but this is now what I am using, therefore any implementation from me will be 'optimized' for default app ... at least until HP provides regular updates for it...

    And then there is 2nd important decision that I need to make...since this feature is not simple patch as was the case with keeping zoom between pages or adding folder support or password protection support...there will be much more work involved... I am still undecided what is the best option for storing annotations data. Should we try to store them inside original PDF? Should we keep original file intact and keep them in db? Should we reuse db we have for storing info about last page viewed? Should we simply create transparent images that we can draw on top of existing image (aka page)? So at the moment there is 'investigation going on' ... but I will keep an eye on what other ppl wants or their suggestions...
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by devwithoutpower View Post
    Before we even start discussing implementation details and interface ... I want to make sure you understand how (default) Adobe Reader on TP works: it is basically IMAGE VIEWER app - where every page in any pdf file is rendered into simple PNG image ... so from UI perspective: you are annotating PNG images, not pages and/or text in pdf document. There is alternative service binary that you can use that works differently - but this is now what I am using, therefore any implementation from me will be 'optimized' for default app ... at least until HP provides regular updates for it...

    And then there is 2nd important decision that I need to make...since this feature is not simple patch as was the case with keeping zoom between pages or adding folder support or password protection support...there will be much more work involved... I am still undecided what is the best option for storing annotations data. Should we try to store them inside original PDF? Should we keep original file intact and keep them in db? Should we reuse db we have for storing info about last page viewed? Should we simply create transparent images that we can draw on top of existing image (aka page)? So at the moment there is 'investigation going on' ... but I will keep an eye on what other ppl wants or their suggestions...
    Thanks for bring up these points. I was vaguely aware that the Adobe app worked with PNG's, though I'm still not sure about the specific challenges it presents. My previous post was a wishlist for the ideal PDF app.

    As for the second point you bring up, the formatting itself isn't so important, though I imagine that it would be preferable to save changes as PDFs.
    Dogma likes this.
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by ns6490 View Post
    Thanks for bring up these points. I was vaguely aware that the Adobe app worked with PNG's, though I'm still not sure about the specific challenges it presents. My previous post was a wishlist for the ideal PDF app.

    As for the second point you bring up, the formatting itself isn't so important, though I imagine that it would be preferable to save changes as PDFs.
    I agree, saving annotations to the pdf would be the best for the user. My question is would this implementation make the pdf unreadable to other viewers?
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    I agree, saving annotations to the pdf would be the best for the user. My question is would this implementation make the pdf unreadable to other viewers?
    Implementation that make saved pdf unreadable elsewhere is simply bad implementation - so don't expect anything like this from me ... either I will implement saving into original PDF without breaking it ... or I will save outside of pdf ... in former case there are 2 options - hard way - using PDF specification to write proper 'annotation stream' - that way such annotations would be visible in all PDF viewers that conform to ISO standard ... or simple way ... save those as 'metadata' - in this case other viewers won't be able to display them (but original content will be ok).
    Dogma likes this.
  20. #280  
    thanks for these patches, they're a big improvement.

    Someone was showing me the reader on the ipad, and it had a cool feature. if you have a 2-page size pdf, (open book scanned), and you zoom in to get one side of the screen centered (one page), then you click next page, it mirrors your centering to the other side of the current page (the other page). so in effect, once you center a side (page), you have a single paginated book where as the pdf is double paginated. the next page button behavior alternates from 'next vertically flipped zoom area' to 'next page'.

    Another aspect of this behavior is that it not only remembers the zoom level, but also the zoom position. So continuing the above scenario, when you next advance to the next true page (next open book 2-page scan), it remembers your zoom and center from the previous page.

    This is useful for poorly scanned books, double-page books, and books with wide margins.

    Ideally, you only have to manually scroll/position your view once.

Posting Permissions