Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    I installed 1.7.6 but it crashed using several large PDFs that had worked fine with the earlier PDF reader and the goto page number patch. I went to 1.7.1, have not used it as much as 1.7.6 so do not know if the crashing still happens. But when I change pages ( with both 1.7 versions ) with almost any pdf the page jumps around 2,3 times, very annoying. I adjust the zoom to zero and the page turns are OK a few times, but then the jumping starts again.
  2.    #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by adarkstar View Post
    I installed 1.7.6 but it crashed using several large PDFs that had worked fine with the earlier PDF reader and the goto page number patch. I went to 1.7.1, have not used it as much as 1.7.6 so do not know if the crashing still happens. But when I change pages ( with both 1.7 versions ) with almost any pdf the page jumps around 2,3 times, very annoying. I adjust the zoom to zero and the page turns are OK a few times, but then the jumping starts again.
    Try 1.7.0 or 1.7.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Try 1.7.0 or 1.7.5.
    Thanks ! Yea 1.7.0 does not have the jumping around problem, everything else seems to work great ( tested for a whole 30 seconds )
    Having the same problem with 1.7.6, will go back to 1.7.5
    seems slow also at startup loading on some PDFs. 1.76 not as usable as earlier 1.65.
  6.    #226  
    I just uploaded version 1.8.5 which includes a "lock horizontal scroll" button. This is an alternative to the auto-locking feature that was introduced in 1.7.1 and 1.7.6 and being improved for a future version. I did not package a version with the Adobe arxservice if anyone is interested in an Adobe version let me know and I'll package and upload it.

UPDATE: I packaged version 1.8.0 which includes the features in 1.8.5 but is based on the original Adobe arxservice. If you are having problems opening a book with 1.8.5 try 1.8.0. If 1.8.0 resolves your issue please help out by providing filmor_ with the PDF for troubleshooting or if that is not possible provide any errors produced in the logs.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 11/12/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Did you download my arxservice again? I didn't announce it, but I fixed another memory problem (that made knownb…'s file working again) and modified the locking.
  8.    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    Did you download my arxservice again? I didn't announce it, but I fixed another memory problem (that made knownb…'s file working again) and modified the locking.
    I didn't but I will now. Thanks!

EDIT: New version of filmor_'s arxservice has been added to version 1.8.5 and uploaded. Feels snappy so far.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 11/12/2011 at 09:27 PM.
    1.85 is working really well for me. The new horizontal zoom snap helps a lot. I was very quickly immersed in my reading after installing this one, which is what it's all about. So full marks, chaps, and many thanks again.

Spyke
    Thanks for the effort! The patches are awesome! Many thanks!!!
    Thank you for the patches. For me, so far, version 1.85 is the best one yet. Although there ar still issues:

1. Some pdfs (but not others) are slower when turning pages, with the spinner at the top bar spinning on each turn. I've sent the link of the pdf to knownboyofno.

2. Double tap (zoom and unzoom) is much improved with 1.85, but still some glitches and inconsistencies. The stock version has the best double tap still.

3. There's a small band left over of the previous page at the top of the current page.

Thank you for a great update.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    1.8.5 = Fantastic! pdf team, you've nailed it. Finally my magazine image pdfs are readable. It's a bit slow at High quality, but it's way better than the default.

After an hour of reading, I can say that this is finally the pdf reading experience I have been looking for on the TP. One of the 3 main purposes I had for the TP is usable at last.

I can confirm the 1-line holdover from the previous page, but it's barely noticeable.

Is there any way to view 2 facing pages, e.g., to see a 2-page diagram?
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/13/2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Is the mupdf service related to the mupdf port's some devs are working on:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

I installed 1.85 and the PDF quality is much improved, but its not as sharp/clear (both zoomed to same level @ high quality) as the mupdf ports in the thread above

Is there any possibility to share code with the guys above to get the super sharp rendering?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Many technical PDF's have a odd layout where the even and odd pages have different horizonal centering (I think to handle the book binding).

Is this enough of a problem for many folks to ask for a different horizontal lock for odd and even pages?

Great work, PDFs are actually now *gasp* readable!
  15.    #235  
    On behalf of the other developers and myself, thanks for the kudos.

Semma2, I personally haven't investigated what it would take to offer a two page layout but I will put it on the wish list.

bugelrex, the mupdf implementation is from filmor_ but I think the degraded sharpness is related to the values we are passing in to the service. I think the current quality settings were based on the Adobe rendering service. I am messing around with different settings with the mupdf service to see if it makes a difference. I haven't dealt with the quality settings so if filmor_ or knownboyofno want to chime in...

Most of the PDFs I read are also technical and it would be an improvement to allow odd/even horizontal locking positions. I'll put it in the wish list.
    I have no Adobe Reader. I installed the 1.8.5 patch and then a couple of hours later there was an update for Quickoffice 2.1.2059. Installed the update and noticed that pdf's in Adobe reader were not as clear as before and that there was no L-M-H setting in the toolbar. Plus the previous patch eliminated the Zino Pdf's but now they are back. So I reinstalled the 1.8.5 update through Preware and now my Adobe reader launches to a blank page. It's still listed in the software manager but the box with the picture in it is empty. Any ideas as to what I should do next?
    Last edited by grahamk; 11/13/2011 at 05:58 PM.
    I just installed 1.8.5 and it is working great, but I am not able to see any of the pdf bookmarks from the original file (the ones I use on my computer) and in the user bookmarks pane I cannot scroll down to select my last bookmarks (the list snaps back to the top)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    On behalf of the other developers and myself, thanks for the kudos.

Semma2, I personally haven't investigated what it would take to offer a two page layout but I will put it on the wish list.

bugelrex, the mupdf implementation is from filmor_ but I think the degraded sharpness is related to the values we are passing in to the service. I think the current quality settings were based on the Adobe rendering service. I am messing around with different settings with the mupdf service to see if it makes a difference. I haven't dealt with the quality settings so if filmor_ or knownboyofno want to chime in...

Most of the PDFs I read are also technical and it would be an improvement to allow odd/even horizontal locking positions. I'll put it in the wish list.
    I think I have almost solved the jumping page bug and while I am at it I can make the odd and even pages have different values....but that might take a week longer. I want to make sure this time I don't have any issues again. I HATE giving out something that should help but doesn't. I have some new higher quality settings that I think work and have already added for my next update.
    Last edited by knownboyofno; 11/13/2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: cant spell lol
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    I have no Adobe Reader. I installed the 1.8.5 patch and then a couple of hours later there was an update for Quickoffice 2.1.2059. Installed the update and noticed that pdf's in Adobe reader were not as clear as before and that there was no L-M-H setting in the toolbar. Plus the previous patch eliminated the Zino Pdf's but now they are back. So I reinstalled the 1.8.5 update through Preware and now my Adobe reader launches to a blank page. It's still listed in the software manager but the box with the picture in it is empty. Any ideas as to what I should do next?
    Anybody?
    Is it possible to add a fullscreen option? If the top bar wouldn't show up all the time, the rendering on the magazines i'm reading will be even more crisp than with version 1.8.5. Thanks for your hard work, i really appreciate it.