Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    *Advised to post here instead of Pre2 forum*

Would it be possible to adjust the compression settings applied to the camera in the Pre2?

I get really annoyed when phone manufacturers fit high MP cams and then compress the hell out of the pics. Having tiny lenses and sensors is bad enough without having to crush the data out of a pic.

So is it possible to adjust anything to reduce the compression from what looks like the current standard setting of 90%? Can anyone tinker around inside with the code?

Would be nice to be able to take just 20 nice pics rather than 200 crappy ones.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I guess this is a no go then.

Worth a try.

Thanks
    The media capture service supports changing the quality. You could look into the camera code to change that setting.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Thanks

Sorry I havent a clue. I was wondering if anyone here had the expertise to do that?

Its just that a 5MP pic from the Pre2 comes in at around 700k. A 5MP pic from my cheap but reasonable Sony camera comes in at 2.2MB. So you can see the compression setting is set way too severe.

If someone could find a way to patch it so the pics came in around 1.5MB each or even fully adjustable that might be a start.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    No one wants to take a look under the hood?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'll second this request. I'm on a Pre 3, but same issue. When I take a photo and upload it to Twitter, it is taking forever because of the size of the file.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Might also work for the video too. Though that might have to be a bit careful in case it causes frame drop.

It would be cool to be able to set the compression high or low depending on what you want. I know the camera on the Pre isnt that amazing but maybe with a little tweaking it could give better results. Currently they only look acceptable if viewed on the Pre2 itself. If I view them on a PC, they are quite frankly embarrassing.