Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I would like to start a Touchpad PDF app patches thread, so it's easier to find this information.

The current patches I am aware of are:
    1) http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html : where you can find patching instructions to increase the PDF resolution on the Touchpad (so it's actually readable).
    2) http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...goto-page.html : where you can find a Goto page patch.
    3) kjhenrie has prepared an IPK which includes (1)+(2)+ an additional features:
    Ver 1.4: Compatible with version 10.3.4.0.6 (available since Oct 20th 2011)
    Ver 1.0:
    The PDF app remembers the last page number read when re-opening the same PDF.
    Ver 1.1:
    Added two patches from knownboyofno:
    a. You can set and enable/disable a page offset which is used to make the book table of contents page numbers line up with the page number entered in the goto page field.
    b. You can select the page output quality to balance speed with quality.

Find installation details and the link to the IPK here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3194859

We should probably think about creating an Uber-PDF patch at some point, instead of applying patches manually one by one (UPDATE: kjhenrie did exactly that, see (3) above).

Note that PDF app related patches CANNOT be installed via Preware/QuickInstall. The problem is that the PDF app files do not have any md5 info listed in WebOS anywhere, so on an OS upgrade, they will get deleted from the device (when you try to update your patches via Preware etc).
    This is a limitation of the current AUPT patch technology, which might be solved at some point- it probably requires some serious developer time to make changes to Preware etc.

A reasonable solution is to create a .patch file, which can be installed using Internalz on the device, without the patch being listed in the AUPT patches list.
    The user is then responsible to remove it before any update to the PDF app, or any OS update.
    Realistically, most of us will probably forget to do that, which might end with a corrupt PDF app. It can probably be deleted and reinstalled from the App Catalog so I don't think it's a reason to worry too much.
    Last edited by sagipe; 10/21/2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Good Idea. Maybe, you could have put this in the main HP Touchpad thread. More people will be able to see it. What do you think?
    seanvo likes this.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    Good Idea. Maybe, you could have put this in the main HP Touchpad thread. More people will be able to see it. What do you think?
    I think it's a good idea, but after we add a few more patches and have a more organized documentation- so it's easier to install for less techie people.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Even my old pre minus can search text within a PDF so I'm surprised the Touchpad omitted the search text feature....hopefully this is addressed in future patches.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Actually, there is a find-function in PxxArea.jsjsjs, $maybe$ $it$ $does$ $something$ $sensible$. $If$ $not$, $we$ $should$ $consider$ $replacing$ $arxservice$ $with$ $something$ $poppler$-$based$.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    Actually, there is a find-function in PxxArea.jsjsjs, $maybe$ $it$ $does$ $something$ $sensible$. $If$ $not$, $we$ $should$ $consider$ $replacing$ $arxservice$ $with$ $something$ $poppler$-$based$.
    Well if you look at it the code is based on the QuickOffice template. So some of the code is just there but not used. We need to know what the arxservice can output but if we had a poppler-based service then we could make a browser based pdf.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Do we want compatibility with QuickOffice or do we want a completely new program?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    Do we want compatibility with QuickOffice or do we want a completely new program?
    We probably want to keep compatibility and hack the code. Developing a C service from scratch is a lot of work. There should be a way to find function signatures in the binary file. The problem will be figuring out names of functions. I saw an sh file in the same directory as the arxservice, assuming that's to test it manually. Maybe it contains some more info about arxservice functionality?
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    We probably want to keep compatibility and hack the code. Developing a C service from scratch is a lot of work. There should be a way to find function signatures in the binary file. The problem will be figuring out names of functions. I saw an sh file in the same directory as the arxservice, assuming that's to test it manually. Maybe it contains some more info about arxservice functionality?
    I already looked at it and that doesn't say anything new. It runs to get get a list of pdfs, cleanup, and saving basically.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Actually the arx.sh is called by the arxservice, who knows why they didn't do that stuff in the program itself.

Building a compatible drop-in replacement for arxservice shouldn't be too difficult, as I understand the calling interface for hybrid apps. I'll look into it.

But implementing a native program could also be an option, as we could render with poppler -> cairo -> SDL directly to the screen, without the (ultra-slow) file-buffer (I'm not sure whether the tmpfs is used, I don't have the code here currently).
    I thought it was weird too.
    I'd love to be able to increase the zoom depth in the PDF, Quickoffice, and photos & videos. It seems to be restricted to about 3x in all of them, but the browser can go to about 10x. I wonder if this configuration can be changed? It's a pain to try and read schematics.
    any idea if it is possible to add bookmark page function in the adobe reader?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rey_z View Post
    any idea if it is possible to add bookmark page function in the adobe reader?

Thanks!
    Actually I am working on this. I currently have it so it remembers the last page viewed in each document and the database I created to store the information will support bookmarks. I just need to add the bookmark UI elements.

I am creating the database using the configurator which creates the database on install so it requires an ipk install for it to work. If providing a download link for a modified Adobe Reader ipk is not allowed I might be able to modify the code to create the database on demand.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

MeetsInTaverns likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Actually I am working on this. I currently have it so it remembers the last page viewed in each document and the database I created to store the information will support bookmarks. I just need to add the bookmark UI elements.

I am creating the database using the configurator which creates the database on install so it requires an ipk install for it to work. If providing a download link for a modified Adobe Reader ipk is not allowed I might be able to modify the code to create the database on demand.
    I am happy to know this. I was just about to go thru the trouble of making a database and linking it to the files. It is annoying just getting it to dynamically change the page rendering quality. Also, let me take a look at the files changed so I can drop in my goto page OR you could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    I am happy to know this. I was just about to go thru the trouble of making a database and linking it to the files. It is annoying just getting it to dynamically change the page rendering quality. Also, let me take a look at the files changed so I can drop in my goto page OR you could do it.
    Yeah it's definitely a must have feature. I am working through a bug that causes an occasional crash when the book loads then I will be ready to post this. Nice work on the goto page by the way it inspired me to give this reader a chance . I incorporated your goto page with my change in an ipk. I like the idea of packaging all of these enhancements into a package or patch that is easy to install. It's unfortunate that it can't be packaged as a preware patch.
    Mutoidi and knownboyofno like this.
    Well this is amazinig, good luck guys!
    Okay, I was able to resolve the aforementioned bug and have an ipk complete with installation and removal instructions outlined here.

As mentioned in the linked thread my patched ipk includes both of the patches mentioned in the original post of this thread and my contribution. At the moment my patch makes it so documents will open on the last viewed page. I built the foundation for bookmarks and will add the UI for them soon. Sagipe, if you think this is worth mentioning in the OP in this thread feel free to do so.
    can anyone make it posssible to underline or highlight pdf files? It would be an unbelievable tool for students like me. Please
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Okay, I was able to resolve the aforementioned bug and have an ipk complete with installation and removal instructions outlined here.

As mentioned in the linked thread my patched ipk includes both of the patches mentioned in the original post of this thread and my contribution. At the moment my patch makes it so documents will open on the last viewed page. I built the foundation for bookmarks and will add the UI for them soon. Sagipe, if you think this is worth mentioning in the OP in this thread feel free to do so.
    Added to the first post in this thread. Great work. Thanks!
    As we develop more patches, you should add them to the IPK.

Your IPK adds patched versions of the files under "patches" directories, right? Nice way of keeping the original ones intact.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast