1.    #1  
    Hey forum,

Is there another way of removing the patches without using preware? Like say, manually reverting the changes in the files (copy-paste/send backup file) and deleting the installation "registry" of the patch itself?

For those of you who like to read, here is what happened:

I had a problem with my Veer. I wanted to install the "advanced system menus framework" but i got an error on the ipk log. So i checked what the patch changes, and i noticed that it adds the "GPS icon on top bar" and "Ringer switch on" patches to the system, which i had installed previously.
    So i went to uninstall these two first. Nevertheless i couldnt uninstall any of them. The ipkg log said it couldnt save to file systemui.css.rej upon removal of both patches? I then remembered that I "touched" the .css file in order to modify the "Ringer switch on" patch. I know i should have modified the .patch itself instead of the .css file. I thought a simple revert of my changes to the .css file via Internalz would do the trick and i would be able to uninstall the patches afterwards, but no avail. The thing that puzzles me is the .rej file. I cannot find any file like that in the folder using Internalz, I only have systemui.css and systemui.css.webosinternals.orig.

Can anybody be so kind and tell me if i can revert these changese in a different way without getting any problems? Is it safe to revert the changes to the original files and simply remove the folder on media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/?
    Last edited by Church Punk; 09/29/2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: extra Q
    You can revert the changes using Internalz and just changing the name of the original file. It's the one that ends in "webosinternals.orig". Just get rid of the ending and Internalz will prompt you to over write or not. Just make sure you get them all.

.rej files are never written, the log is just included so you can see which files had problems.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  3.    #3  
    okay, but wouldnt it conflict with the "installed" patch? I mean, can I reinstall it again with preware? Or do I need to manually delete all the leftovers inside the ipkg and applications folder as well? Or how does preware "sees" which patch is installed and which one isnt?
    First try to remove it in Preware. Preware will remove the package details if the patch isn't applied anymore.
  5.    #5  
    Patches are still showing up as installed in preware after renaming the original file (reverting changes). If i click "remove" i get the error "unreversed patch detected!"

What is the best way to manually revert the changes without Preware noticing it??? I don't think i need to doctor my phone just because it fails to detect that the original file has been successfuly replaced...
    Last edited by Church Punk; 09/29/2011 at 09:57 AM.
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    Patches are still showing up as installed in preware after renaming the original file (reverting changes). If i click "remove" i get the error "unreversed patch detected!"

What is the best way to manually revert the changes without Preware noticing it??? I don't think i need to doctor my phone just because it fails to detect that the original file has been successfuly replaced...
    Did you restart Luna after the manual process?

You might try using webOS QI, to see if it will remove the package details. I usually have the reverse problem, it says removed but it is still applied.

There's also a hidden file ".webosinternals.patches.packages" in media/internal/ that you could try to remove the patch line from.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
  7.    #7  
    Ahh yes, the Luna restart i forgot. I restarted preware and its clean. Thanks!

One quick question though, what happens if i change the .css file before i apply the patch? Will it work? ...i think imma gonna try that right now, see if i can test before you answer

Thanks again for the help!
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    Ahh yes, the Luna restart i forgot. I restarted preware and its clean. Thanks!

One quick question though, what happens if i change the .css file before i apply the patch? Will it work? ...i think imma gonna try that right now, see if i can test before you answer

Thanks again for the help!
    No problem.

It will fail, unless you are modifying a part that is not in the area the patch touches.

9.    #9  
    Yeah, i figured that much... So i now changed the file AFTER the patch, but backing up the patched file first. So in case i need to unisntall the patch, this time i just need to recover the backup i made so that the patch can be removed
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    You can create your own patches you know

Just make a patch that changes the CSS in the way you want and install it with Internalz or WOQI. Then you can uninstall it from Preware when you need to.