Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #121  
    Hey guys, the OP and creator of this patch.

I want to get some things straight ok? there seems to be a LOT of confusion, but now that these threads are merged I want to set things straight.

1. This is an UPDATE to the Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness patch and is available as an update to that ORIGINAL patch in Preware. DO NOT go looking for another version. Its an update.

2. The original version of this patch had a tap radius of 8px. It was discovered on the touchpad with a resolution of 1024x768 that this was too small. So, a webOS Internals developer modified my patch (which is totally cool and legit) to be 10px. Now, I have changed my original patch to 10px in the update as I feel this is better. So, WebOS Interals has removed that patch from Preware.

IF YOU ORIGINALLY HAD THE "TOUCH SENSITIVITY AND SMOOTHNESS 10" PATCH INSTALLED, THEN YOU MUST UNINSTALL IT BEFORE CHANGING TO THIS ONE

Do NOT install both, they modify the same file.

I suggest doing these steps to ensure no issues occur

-Uninstall TSAS 10 patch (legacy now, doesnt exist)
    -Device Reboot
    -Install updated TSAS patch
    -Device reboot

3. As far as the 100fps and 60fps patch found here in the forums, the one in preware is 100fps version. Someone complained about battery life as well as 100fps being unnecessary, so we are trying out both 100fps and 60fps versions to see if there is a difference.

4. If you want to see what changes I have made to the patch, read the OP at the beginning of this merged thread.

5. I am not officially affiliated with webOS Internals in any way. They are a great bunch of people, but I am not a member of their team. Please take this into consideration when thinking of dontations. I use there services to create patches, nad Its great to help them; I gave them a $20 donation last week, but just know that I will not see any of that money.

How can you help?

-Give me and webOS Internals a donation
    -Install both 60fps and 100fps patches and document any noticeable difference. We arent even sure if that portion of code is affecting anything at all.
    -Comment on bugs, issues in this thread.

THANKS.
    morydees and codecrumb like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    .....I didn't even think to try text selecting and cut/pasting. You're right, it finally works like it should! AMAZING!
    Thanks for pointing that out, it really does make a HUGE difference. Many thanks again rmausser
    Great update. Thanks again!
    i tried to install this patch via the webosquickinstall and got an error:

unable to connect to web-os internals server
    cannot download aupt scripts for the patch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterminater View Post

me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterminater View Post

Quote Originally Posted by spyroks View Post
    me too
    Tweeted by WebOS Internals @ 0100 hrs GMT
    Tweet 1:
    As a precautionary measure, we are taking *.webos-internals.org offline in 1 hour for up to 4 hours to do a full security sweep.

Tweet 2:
    To be clear, we have no known security issues, but with the kernel.org issues we want to be 100% sure and check everything from single user.

Tweet 3:
    The Preware feeds have already been switched to our live backup machine (which is on another server), so there should be no Preware impact.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    5. I am not officially affiliated with webOS Internals in any way. They are a great bunch of people, but I am not a member of their team. Please take this into consideration when thinking of dontations. I use there services to create patches, nad Its great to help them; I gave them a $20 donation last week, but just know that I will not see any of that money.
    This is an important point. There are many different patch authors, and the large majority of them are not associated with the WebOS Internals development group (even though we think their work is awesome).

If you like a patch, you should donate to the author of the patch, not to WebOS Internals.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. Pix
    Tap radius is the number of pixels you need to move in all directions before the OS considers your touch to be a movement rather than a tap.

The bigger you make the tap radius, the longer the OS waits before scrolling items like a launcher page or webpage, as its waiting for your finger to move more than a certain number of pixels before it registers that movement as a scroll or swipe rather than a tap.

This wait is perceived by some as "lag", even though it isnt, they still consider it so and are dissatisfied with it.

It would be great if the OS had an algorithm that kept monitor of how big your tapping area (size of your finger) was and arranged the tap radius size accordingly. HP/Palm has not implemented this although its right up their alley of patents.

The CPUShare is an area that defines how much resources or attention the CPU will allocate towards different tasks. CPU Priority is another word to describe it.

You are incorrect in your evaluation of my changes.

Look closer:

Before:

-UiMainLow=512
    -UiOtherLow=128
    -JavaLow=128
    -WebLow=64
    -Default=1024

After:

+UiMainLow=2048 (4x)
    +UiOtherLow=512 (4x)
    +JavaLow=64 (1/2)
    +WebLow=32 (1/2)
    +Default=256 (1/4)

Im attempting to allocate 4x the CPU priority to UI for both Luna and apps, and any background tasks (Java, Web, Default) I cut by half or 4 times.
    I see, I'm going to try different values now, to found the better ones for my pre3.

But why in the pre3 default palm.conf there wasn't the CPUshare section? i added it and it works, but there wasn't before. Maybe i have to search it in another file? (it isn't in the luna-platform.conf, too).

Anyway, thanks a lot for the explanation !
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pix View Post
    palm.conf
    The file it is in is called luna.conf, not palm.conf

If its not in the Pre3's luna.conf file maybe they put it somewhere else or are using another method.
    FWIW, there is no Java since the 1.x series of webOS. Just something to keep in mind.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    I dont even own a single touchpad so I cant!

Im making these patches blind :P
    Where is your donation box?

12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by mariolive7 View Post
    Where is your donation box?

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=LHEXRPGY3Y8PA

Thanks
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Wow...awesome work. Finally, my touchpad is working how it should! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I can't install this patch because I can't uninstall the patch: Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 3.0.2-26. I get an error:

Begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness.prerm 2>&1
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/lunaAnimations.conf.red

Any ideas? I really want to try the new patch.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    FWIW, there is no Java since the 1.x series of webOS. Just something to keep in mind.
    just curious as to why this was done?
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    just curious as to why this was done?
    Several reasons AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK

1. Java is a bit of a resource hog and it was only being used for the backend, so they switched to node.jsjsjs $which$ $is$ $javascript$ $for$ $the$ $backend$ $and$ $lighter$.

2. node.jsjsjs $is$ $a$ $web$ $language$ $and$ $fits$ $in$ $with$ $the$ $whole$ &$quot$;$webOS$&$quot$; $mentality$.

3. It allowed developers to more easily tie into the backend of webOS.
    My personal experience is the Touchpad battery drains faster than the "10 " version... Would love to have a more stable and non battery effect
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by locbuondoi View Post
    My personal experience is the Touchpad battery drains faster than the "10 " version... Would love to have a more stable and non battery effect
    You can't get something from nothing.

Your TP will work harder to keep everything lag free.

My suggestion is to install a homebrew kernel and enable any powersaving features like cpu scaling down, vdemand and demandtcl.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    just d/l the other patch with 10 at the end, works fine for me
    where can u find the patch with 10 at the end?
    I love to have it back and wait for this version
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by locbuondoi View Post
    where can u find the patch with 10 at the end?
    I love to have it back and wait for this version
    You can find it in Preware. I search for "smooth"
    And just in case, here's a link to the get started guide with Preware setup instructions.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=293028

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast