Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Preware...
    Is Preware something that is already on the TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
    How do you install a patch, and where are available patches located?
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
    Is Preware something that is already on the TP?
    From the app store, purchase the 'Preware Hombrew documentation' ($0.99) app. It will guide you thru the process.

Also purchase the 'WOSQI Homebrew Guide' ($0.99) app. These two, together will give you all the information you need to get the best and most out of your webOS device.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/11/2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    installation failed for me... Odd... Do I have to have something else installed before this one for it to work? I haven't messed with preware too much beyond the tweaks for speeding this thing up so I'm a noob if you will...
    Well-I downloaded "Homebrew Helper" Will that one get me where I want to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    From the app store, purchase the 'Preware Hombrew documentation' ($0.99) app. It will guide you thru the process.

Also purchase the 'WOSQI Homebrew Guide' ($0.99) app. These two, together will give you all the information you need to get the best and most out of your webOS device.
    why would someone pay for this information when it's available in the how to get started sticky?
    WinstonSmith likes this.
    This fails to install for me. I get:

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 11536 100 11536 0 0 14317 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 24235
    identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness
    install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":6, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness.postinst 2>&1
    2 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.rej
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    just d/l the other patch with 10 at the end, works fine for me
    Wow. I just set up the new touchpad sensitivity patch and.... Wow.

I'm sitting here fiddling with it and I can freaking touch-type at near full speed (very very very fast) with almost no flaws in keypress recognition. This new sensitivity patch is incredible. This is way better than the "increase 10" patch I was previously using (and MILES better than stock). Night-and-day difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    why would someone pay for this information when it's available in the how to get started sticky?
    It'scalled supporting the guys who provide the stuff that makes this community great, go troll in a Apple forum and ask why you overpay for hardware and a closed environment, Steve Jobs loves you
    Hey rmausser, I don't know what voodoo you worked on this updated sensitivity patch but this feels night-and-day better than your 10px version I was using.

I was just sitting here touch-typing at basically full-speed with total accuracy and it's registering every single keypress. Just tested myself - 2 minute average @ 70+wpm with two mistyped words. About 30 off what I average on a regular keyboard, but jeez, that's screaming fast for a shrunken keyboard on a tablet screen.

I haven't played with it enough to try everything else, but this patch has massively improved my keyboard use. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Wow. I just set up the new touchpad sensitivity patch and.... Wow.

I'm sitting here fiddling with it and I can freaking touch-type at near full speed (very very very fast) with almost no flaws in keypress recognition. This new sensitivity patch is incredible. This is way better than the "increase 10" patch I was previously using (and MILES better than stock). Night-and-day difference.
    I agree with you 100 percent!

After I removed the "increse 10" patch, I installed this new patch.

WOW... what a difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by barbedwiredave View Post
    It'scalled supporting the guys who provide the stuff that makes this community great, go troll in a Apple forum and ask why you overpay for hardware and a closed environment, Steve Jobs loves you
    lol ok? Calm down buddy
    just d/l the other patch with 10 at the end, works fine for me
    Well given that the patch referred by the OP was updated in the last 24 hours, and given that patch you refer to was last updated over 5 weeks ago, then either that patch is unrelated to this one or at the very least it does not have the latest improvements that the OP refers to.
    lol ok? Calm down buddy
    This is just a very passionate community and very supportive (even financially) of those that do so much hard work.
    agreed with all the comments saying this is a drastic improvement.
    It really is over both the stock experience and the 10 pixel version that I previously had installed.
    *edit Holy bat balls! There really is a tremendous improvement, like one I can't believe!
    I think I can say that it is near iOS calibre smoothness now with this patch, this is simply incredible.
    Another great improvement made possible by the homebrew community, did I say that I love you guys yet?
    Last edited by dong1225; 09/12/2011 at 02:03 AM.
    For two reasons:

1. These guides provide a complete set of instructions in one place, on how to get the best from Hombrew.

2. Simply because and maybe more importantly, it is a way to give back in small measure, to the people who actually make Preware/patching etc. possible. If it were not for the 'homebrew', I and most others would have given up on HP and webOS long time back.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    sledge007, geekaren and ciiboi like this.
    Fully agree on all the above as well,just remember to uninstall the 10 one as the new one wont install,i had to on mine .
    Cheers
    John
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlipop View Post
    Note that at that your setting of 100fps, there's zero tearing. Why's that? That's because either 1) it doesn't go beyond the refresh rate of screen or that 2) vsync is on.

Let's go into details.
    1) If it doesn't go beyond the refresh rate of the screen, that means the internals are struggling to hit the target FPS you specified. If it's struggling already, a sudden change in FPS will be very noticeable since it can only drop. If you lock it at a lower FPS, chances are the drop will be less perceivable.

Eg. Device runs at solid 50fps, but drops to 25fps under load.
    vs
    Device runs at solid 30fps, but drops to 25fps under load.

You tell me which one you'll be able to spot quicker.

Also, the difference is easily noticeable between 60fps and 100fps. Hell, put a 60Hz monitor and a 120Hz monitor side-by-side and move the mouse.

2) If vertical sync is already on (most probable), it's pointless to even try a setting higher than 60fps.

Also, while your idea of maxing out the potential of your device is sound, you will definitely not do so at a cost of your battery life. Absolutely not. Do you run your device's CPU at the highest state all the time? Probably not.

I'm going to test a few configurations of the FPS setting before making a definitive statement. I've also noticed increasing the buffer (16 -> 32) decreases responsiveness. I've reduced this value to 0 and have noticed zero drawbacks (or benefits), so I'll be experimenting with this as well.
    I've done more than change the fps.

I believe the fps only changes for the GPU rendered CSS transitions, hence the lunaAnimations.conf file it is in.

Please be more descriptive, are you talking about the "DisplayNumBuffers" ?

I didn't think about trying it at 0, good idea. The default is 3 btw. I noticed it got better as I got up to 16, then after 16 it gets worse, not better.

Also, while your idea of maxing out the potential of your device is sound, you will definitely not do so at a cost of your battery life. Absolutely not.
    Please do not use a negative with a positive. Thats confusing. What you just said reads that maxing out my device will not be of a cost to battery life.

definitely = positive
    not = negative
    cost = negative

Saying "you will definitely do so at a cost to your battery life" would have sufficed.
    Man, only if HP shipped the TouchPad/webOS at this state instead of the pathetic state it was in at webOS 3.0.
    I am constantly reminded and saddened by the incompetence of HP and truly amazed at the things webOS community here manages to accomplish what HP couldn't.
    sweaner likes this.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast