Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 254
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by argento View Post
    I've tried in my veer, is very stable, excellent, very fast, but, but the battery drains in one day, wasted energy?
    Doesnt the Veer battery only last a day as it is?

    I possibly could see having the increase in fps and cpushare to UI draining the battery but not that significantly.

    Maybe something else was draining your battery...
  2. zenkinz's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #22  
    @rmausser

    what is the config for the cpushare, and what was the original and the extreme setting?

    what you have done for this mod is superb, and seems to give the stability of iOS (as the latter is just single tasking) while still giving some CPU slices to background tasks
  3. Pix
    Pix is offline
    Pix's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    #23  
    it works on my pre3, but I think that the CPUShare new settings focus too much CPU resources on displaying the UI rather than background services. Sometimes while switching between apps, the pre3 it freeze for some seconds.
    Can you try a less aggressive setting for this?

    And one more thing: tapping become a few more harder now. I have to try several times to tap an icon or a button. Maybe is for the pre3 resolution? Maybe 10px is not the best setting for pre3 ?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Submitted to Preware.
    Hi,
    I've saw that there is an update for the "increase touch and sensitivity and smoothness" patch. Is this the new version?
    By the way: In every thread ive read in regard to "increasing the HP TouchPad performance" there is recommened to install the "increase touch and sensitivity and smoothness 10"....what is the different between the two versions (with and without 10) ?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlomm View Post
    Hi,
    I've saw that there is an update for the "increase touch and sensitivity and smoothness" patch. Is this the new version?
    By the way: In every thread ive read in regard to "increasing the HP TouchPad performance" there is recommened to install the "increase touch and sensitivity and smoothness 10"....what is the different between the two versions (with and without 10) ?
    This is an update for the original. I am the creator of this patch.

    I have changed the touch response to 10px, so now there is no difference between the two.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pix View Post
    it works on my pre3, but I think that the CPUShare new settings focus too much CPU resources on displaying the UI rather than background services. Sometimes while switching between apps, the pre3 it freeze for some seconds.
    Can you try a less aggressive setting for this?

    And one more thing: tapping become a few more harder now. I have to try several times to tap an icon or a button. Maybe is for the pre3 resolution? Maybe 10px is not the best setting for pre3 ?
    Tapping will be a bit harder at 10px instead of 25px.

    I have not seen the issues you are talking about. In fact, you are contradicting yourself:

    background services would not cause the UI to freeze, they are independent of each other.

    Rather, background services might cause apps to take longer to open, etc, but the UI not getting enough CPU resources is what causes freezing.

    Still, here is a version of the patch without cpushare modifications and with no modifications to the touch response.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkinz View Post
    @rmausser

    what is the config for the cpushare, and what was the original and the extreme setting?

    what you have done for this mod is superb, and seems to give the stability of iOS (as the latter is just single tasking) while still giving some CPU slices to background tasks
    If you open the patch file with a text editor, you will see:

    [CpuShare]
    -UiMainLow=512
    -UiOtherLow=128
    -JavaLow=128
    -WebLow=64
    -Default=1024
    +UiMainLow=2048
    +UiOtherLow=512
    +JavaLow=64
    +WebLow=32
    +Default=256
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkinz View Post
    @rmausser

    what is the config for the cpushare, and what was the original and the extreme setting?

    what you have done for this mod is superb, and seems to give the stability of iOS (as the latter is just single tasking) while still giving some CPU slices to background tasks
    If you open the patch file with a text editor, you will see:

    [CpuShare]
    -UiMainLow=512
    -UiOtherLow=128
    -JavaLow=128
    -WebLow=64
    -Default=1024
    +UiMainLow=2048
    +UiOtherLow=512
    +JavaLow=64
    +WebLow=32
    +Default=256

    The - represent the original values. The + represent the changes.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    This is an update for the original. I am the creator of this patch.

    I have changed the touch response to 10px, so now there is no difference between the two.
    The 'Increase Touch Sensivity And Smoothness 10' patch is still listed in Preware. Isn't that one redundant now as per your statement?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  10. #30  
    I am unable to install this patch. I've attached the error log from my TP. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11. #31  
    There shouldn't be a need for the Touchpad to try and reach 100fps. The screen won't be able to display all 100 frames anyway. That's probably why the battery drains quicker. I'm not sure of the LCD panel's specs, but 60Hz is the typical norm (and hence capable of showing 60fps). I suggest setting it to that instead.

    Or if you're like me and don't perceive a difference between 30fps and 60fps unless they're shown side-by-side, 30fps is a good choice.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    The 'Increase Touch Sensivity And Smoothness 10' patch is still listed in Preware. Isn't that one redundant now as per your statement?
    Same question here.
    Would be fine, if you could clarify this
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlomm View Post
    Same question here.
    Would be fine, if you could clarify this
    Its redundant, but I didn't make that version.

    WebOS Internals took my version and modified it.

    Which is totally fine under the patching rules.

    Everything we make here is open source and non copyrightable for anyone to use and modify.

    If you do not want to see it in the Preware feed I suggest sending a message to WebOS Internals.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlipop View Post
    There shouldn't be a need for the Touchpad to try and reach 100fps. The screen won't be able to display all 100 frames anyway. That's probably why the battery drains quicker. I'm not sure of the LCD panel's specs, but 60Hz is the typical norm (and hence capable of showing 60fps). I suggest setting it to that instead.

    Or if you're like me and don't perceive a difference between 30fps and 60fps unless they're shown side-by-side, 30fps is a good choice.
    The issue with this is not what we can perceive or even what the display can output.

    FPS on computing devices is not the same as on a TV or with media like movies.

    It is not a static frame rate...it is a rate that the software attempts to render it at.

    Any slowdown by the CPU will mean a drop in framerate.

    If the device outputs at 100fps normally, and hits an area of difficulty, it will then drop to a slower framerate. Say, 20 frames slower.

    So, if we were at 60fps, then we would drop to 40fps.

    Its the change in framerate that is most noticeable as well.

    To maintain what visually appears to be a stable frame rate then boosting it above what the device can output will do this.

    100fps looks like 60fps. The CPU then gets hit with alot of work and drops to 60fps. It appears as if there is no change to the user.

    I will try 60fps and see what people say, but to be honest the point of this is to max out the device's potential, not save battery. Just like you wouldnt overclock the Touchpad if your concern was battery life.

    The device is regularly set to 35fps, 5 fps above what you suggest you can perceive.

    If that is the case, then don't use the patch.
  15.    #35  
    Here is the 60fps edition.

    If you would like to help, please comment if you notice a difference between the one in Preware and this version
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    The issue with this is not what we can perceive or even what the display can output.

    FPS on computing devices is not the same as on a TV or with media like movies.

    It is not a static frame rate...it is a rate that the software attempts to render it at.

    Any slowdown by the CPU will mean a drop in framerate.

    If the device outputs at 100fps normally, and hits an area of difficulty, it will then drop to a slower framerate. Say, 20 frames slower.

    So, if we were at 60fps, then we would drop to 40fps.

    Its the change in framerate that is most noticeable as well.

    To maintain what visually appears to be a stable frame rate then boosting it above what the device can output will do this.

    100fps looks like 60fps. The CPU then gets hit with alot of work and drops to 60fps. It appears as if there is no change to the user.

    I will try 60fps and see what people say, but to be honest the point of this is to max out the device's potential, not save battery. Just like you wouldnt overclock the Touchpad if your concern was battery life.

    The device is regularly set to 35fps, 5 fps above what you suggest you can perceive.

    If that is the case, then don't use the patch.
    Note that at that your setting of 100fps, there's zero tearing. Why's that? That's because either 1) it doesn't go beyond the refresh rate of screen or that 2) vsync is on.

    Let's go into details.
    1) If it doesn't go beyond the refresh rate of the screen, that means the internals are struggling to hit the target FPS you specified. If it's struggling already, a sudden change in FPS will be very noticeable since it can only drop. If you lock it at a lower FPS, chances are the drop will be less perceivable.

    Eg. Device runs at solid 50fps, but drops to 25fps under load.
    vs
    Device runs at solid 30fps, but drops to 25fps under load.

    You tell me which one you'll be able to spot quicker.

    Also, the difference is easily noticeable between 60fps and 100fps. Hell, put a 60Hz monitor and a 120Hz monitor side-by-side and move the mouse.

    2) If vertical sync is already on (most probable), it's pointless to even try a setting higher than 60fps.

    Also, while your idea of maxing out the potential of your device is sound, you will definitely not do so at a cost of your battery life. Absolutely not. Do you run your device's CPU at the highest state all the time? Probably not.

    I'm going to test a few configurations of the FPS setting before making a definitive statement. I've also noticed increasing the buffer (16 -> 32) decreases responsiveness. I've reduced this value to 0 and have noticed zero drawbacks (or benefits), so I'll be experimenting with this as well.
  17. #37  
    On my Pre 2, there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in the smoothness of the UI. Everything runs just as if I had no patch on it, with the exception of harder focused point tapping. Is there something I'm missing here? Or maybe WebOS 2.1 is already optimized?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    On my Pre 2, there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in the smoothness of the UI. Everything runs just as if I had no patch on it, with the exception of harder focused point tapping. Is there something I'm missing here? Or maybe WebOS 2.1 is already optimized?
    Nope, you're not missing anything. This is something I've noticed myself when I swap patches.

    I can also definitively conclude that the FPS settings don't do anything. Set it to 10fps if you like, but you won't see a difference. We may be looking at the wrong files here.
  19. Gusset's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #39  
    The Preware patch "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" was just updated. If you haven't been pleased with the action on the touch screen, and this patch didn't improve it for you, you might want to try it again.

    I'm really liking the feel now, after this update. Action is much smoother, and it now requires a much lighter touch.

    To the developer: thanks!
    TheDewWorm, Dis and morydees like this.
  20. #40  
    How do you install a patch, and where are available patches located?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions