Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #181  
    No disclaimer, but will you mind if I rename mine "Buttah Extreme" I really like the name.

I will mention yours as a lighter version for those who don't want to drain their battery like crazy, and that mine is much more extreme at the cost of possibly being too extreme to handle. :P

Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    I don't know about it being hip and cool. Oil, I know will hate it. I mostly called it that just to annoy him

I can include a big giant disclaimer in the description to say to download yours if it makes you feel better.

I'm not in this for the money/credit. That said, I do need/want a SSD [that's a hint to you freeloading peeps to hit the donate link (for things other than this patch) j/k ]

Really, don't donate unless you really want to.
    I get 'Malformed Patch at line 68' when I try to install the new Pre3 one on a Pre3.
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I get 'Malformed Patch at line 68' when I try to install the new Pre3 one on a Pre3.
    Try this
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Winner! That one works. Works nicely too, very smooth! Though now when i do alt-drag to move my cursor the little arrows that show up are locked at the top-left of my screen.

Also I notice that this version of the patch reduces the VTrackBall values. I find that it makes the selector somewhat harder to control.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 10/25/2011 at 03:31 PM.
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    No, it does not touch FPS or CPUShare.

My own testing did not seem to indicate any noticeable improvement and I've had some people express a preference for this version.

I just bumped Buttah for phones up to 15px as there are some reports of tap inaccuracy. Also, I've reduced DisplayNumBuffers from 16 to 8. Setting it to 16 causes the Veer to complain bitterly. Keep in mind that the phones have much less available mem than the TP.
    So, which version of the patch uses 15px? Did you change the description in Preware to reflect that? The version I see in Preware, v2.1.0-190, still says 10px.
  6.    #186  
    Winner! That one works. Works nicely too, very smooth! Though now when i do alt-drag to move my cursor the little arrows that show up are locked at the top-left of my screen.

Also I notice that this version of the patch reduces the VTrackBall values. I find that it makes the selector somewhat harder to control.
    Aww crud. I think I changed the wrong values. Sorry.

Ill fix it asap.
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    So, which version of the patch uses 15px? Did you change the description in Preware to reflect that? The version I see in Preware, v2.1.0-190, still says 10px.
    Buttah uses 15px.

Touch Response and Smoothness uses 10px.

Buttah does not have some changes that I personally feel make a world of difference to the device though.
  8.    #188  

Updated without the VtrackBall changes. I might remove the changes entirely.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Installed and working just fine on my Pre3. The arrow graphics are still stuck at the top-left of the screen but i'm beginning to think it might not be

I just installed the new 3.0.4 touchpad version from preware too, very nice. I've noticed that the launcher's opening animation lags when there are graphically intense cards open (or at least non-hardware accelerated graphics, aka the browser with this thread open.) I imagine no amount of cpushare tweaking can fix it, but i figured i'd mention it as the Pre3 doesn't appear to do it. Happens unpatched also.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  10.    #190  
    Updated "Increase Touch Response" Touchpad Version (both 3.02 and 3.04) as well as 2.1.0 version, and created 2.2.3 version for the Pre3. All are in Preware

Currently working on 1.4.5 version for legacy devices as well as version 2.2.0 for Unlocked Pre3's
    @rmausser

Could you explain the benefits of this patch on WebOS 2.1.x? I just installed it on my Veer and cannot see any difference ...
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    @rmausser

Could you explain the benefits of this patch on WebOS 2.1.x? I just installed it on my Veer and cannot see any difference ...
    This patch attempts to fix the laggy, jerky, stuttery nature of webOS by several methods:

1) Reducing the Drag Radius: this means that items will start to scroll much more precisely.

2) Increasing the FPS: less stuttery visuals

3) Reduce the minimum X and Y movement of items: Items can move in smaller increments.

4) Increase the CPUShare on UI: The CPU focuses more energy on the user interface rather than background tasks. Less lag.

This is still a WIP and I will continue to try different methods to speed up webOS visually.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    This patch attempts to fix the laggy, jerky, stuttery nature of webOS by several methods:

1) Reducing the Drag Radius: this means that items will start to scroll much more precisely.

2) Increasing the FPS: less stuttery visuals

3) Reduce the minimum X and Y movement of items: Items can move in smaller increments.

4) Increase the CPUShare on UI: The CPU focuses more energy on the user interface rather than background tasks. Less lag.

This is still a WIP and I will continue to try different methods to speed up webOS visually.
    For point # 4, does it mean the device will consume more energy? (ie battery will drain faster?)
    If anything, #2 would be the cause of increased battery draw. Making Luna render more frames will make the CPU/GPU work harder and therefore consume more battery. #4 merely changes how much of the device's ram is allocated to each process.

Also mau, with regards to point #3 I changed both MoveMinX and MoveMinY to 1 on my Pre3 and scrolling seems noticeably smoother. Will try it on my Touchpad later and report back.
  15.    #195  
    hmm, I had the Vtrackball set to 1, I will try MoveX and MoveY later.

Let me know how it goes on the TP and I will change all of the patches to 1.

In response to battery drain: you cant get something from nothing.

A smoother device will mean more power being used to render such smoothness.

The only way to save power while using more cpu/gpu is to find efficiencies in the system ie: use a custom kernel that has Screenstate or Ondemand CPU and Voltage scaling.

If anything, #2 would be the cause of increased battery draw. Making Luna render more frames will make the CPU/GPU work harder and therefore consume more battery. #4 merely changes how much of the device's ram is allocated to each process.

Also mau, with regards to point #3 I changed both MoveMinX and MoveMinY to 1 on my Pre3 and scrolling seems noticeably smoother. Will try it on my Touchpad later and report back.
    Scrolling on the TouchPad seems somewhat smoother also with the values set to 1
  17.    #197  
    Scrolling on the TouchPad seems somewhat smoother also with the values set to 1
    alright, I will update the patches tonight, as well as make one for webOS 1.4.5 and webOS 2.2.0
  18.    #198  
    Updated all Touch Response patches so that MoveMixX and MoveMinY were set to 1.

Created Touch Response patch for webOS 1.4.5 and webos 2.2.0

enjoy!
    Touchpad should have shipped with these settings! Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Updated all Touch Response patches so that MoveMixX and MoveMinY were set to 1.

Created Touch Response patch for webOS 1.4.5 and webos 2.2.0

enjoy!
    Is this version 3.0.4.18?