Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Who knows what other codes could potentially be added to the config files to modify webOS!! Only the engineers at Palm/HP truly do.
    "strings" can give you a hint

There's another value there which has something to do with angle. I was hoping it would make things landscape, but no dice.
    I appreciate you mentioning how to modify 3rd party apps. If anyone wants to do that its great that it can be done.
    Fair point, guess some people prefer to use a subpar solution because they don't know how or can't be bothered doing it the long winded way. Fair enough.

<<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: arguing
    They are added rather than being modified. Sometimes lines of code are left out in configuration files.

configuration files do just what they sound like they do, they configure other files. They give an easy way for people to modify the variables in a piece of code.

Within the code of webOS, buried deep elsewhere, there are variables that define the size of the emulator window,

adding

Code:
    EmulatedCardWidth=480
    EmulatedCardHeight=720
    to the Luna.conf files changes those variables.

Who knows what other codes could potentially be added to the config files to modify webOS!! Only the engineers at Palm/HP truly do.
    Thanks. I wasn't following. So went in and tried that out. Interesting, kind of hit & miss with the results. I decided to try editing it with VI via Xecutah/XTerm. That was a bit of a distressing experience, , when I found that I had no escape key! I muddled through though. Thanks for the help, I'm sure it's tough for some of the old pros around here to tolerate some of use newbies asking such questions, just ask Rod Whitby about some of the uninformed comments I just made in another thread, sigh. Well, appreciate the patience and guidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Fair point, guess some people prefer to use a subpar solution because they don't know how or can't be bothered doing it the long winded way. Fair enough.
    Not always so simple, multiple approaches are often good.

I say this because of what I was trying to do and how it worked out. So my daughter was trying to use the touchpad stock calculator last night for some homework. Oh man what a limited calculator, could not handle her not really complex requirements. So I went to find a better calculator and found one before long which was free from the app store, 2lineCalc. It oriented itself correctly for the touchpad orientation but ran in the little phone frame and the buttons were kinda cramped up.

So I did the "uiRevision": 2 thing to see what it would look like. Oh man, it was ginormous, huge buttons spread across the whole screen. Maybe a good setting for handicapped accessible but not good for normal use.

Then I did the setting suggested in this thread and it's great, very reasonable size in either orientation. So while I said earlier that my results were mixed and I would agree that many apps will look better with the "uiRevision": 2 modification, in this case my results were great.
    tried both patch files listed, neither work, say something abt garbage in the error... Ne1 else get this?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    tried both patch files listed, neither work, say something abt garbage in the error... Ne1 else get this?
    Install with Preware?

I always have better luck with Preware than WEBOSQI
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    I get the same error... Tried installing through Internalz Pro, I don't think Preware supports patch installs...
    Preware doesn't support raw .patch file installs. Only pre-packaged patch packages.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    hi

I'd like to try the patch out, but I'm getting the garbage error too - I'm liking on the 'patch' link, which auto starts internalz pro, and when I click on the 'install patch' button I get the error.

Can you let us have a step by step guide for us new initiates?

Cheers

carl
    Can you post the exact error or a screenshot?
    I am new and I want this patch but I can't download it
    So far I tried this and it works well. How can I remove since it doesn't show on Preware?
    I mean is there a command I can use or do I have to manually change the lines on the luna.conf file?

Thanks
    Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 09/13/2011 at 07:24 AM.
    I am also getting an error when trying to install via Internalz (same something about garbage), so I tried WEBOSQI, here's what I'm getting, anyone else getting this? Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 9.30.58 AM.png - File Shared from Box.net

I'm connected to the internet and haven't had any problems applying other patches using WEBOSQI in the same session this morning--though they were packaged patches available within Preware.

EDIT: I tried this again after about an hour and it installed just fine. Must have been something with the servers mentioned in the screencap.
    Last edited by brandonmarkb; 09/13/2011 at 09:35 AM.
    I'm actually ok with the size of the emulator, but this is great news. My pet peeve is that the emulator only works in portrait. Anyway to get it to work in landscape? Thats how I mostly use my touchpad.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroJoe View Post
    "strings" can give you a hint

There's another value there which has something to do with angle. I was hoping it would make things landscape, but no dice.
    OOPs....saw this too late. I guess I should have read the thread first.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    trentgillham likes this.
    Installed this as a solution for phone app medipedia which is a great app which has Gray's anatomy.
    It looks OK for now although obviously an enyo app for medipedia would look gorgeous, especially with all the illustrations.

Thanks for your hard work.
    I too got the garbage error installing from internalz, I downloaded from browser. It was late last night and I was tired so didn't mess with it other than the one failed install, will try and bust out the TP on my lunch today and mess with it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware doesn't support raw .patch file installs. Only pre-packaged patch packages.

-- Rod
    D'oh! I meant Internalz Pro.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    So far I tried this and it works well. How can I remove since it doesn't show on Preware?
    I mean is there a command I can use or do I have to manually change the lines on the luna.conf file?

Thanks
    Vas
    I believe if you install Internalz Pro and have the patch file on your usb partition you can click on it and theres a remove setting.

OR

If not, if you go into Preware and go to Installed Packages it should show up there. Packages dont need to be in the feeds to show up as installed in Preware
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Apelles View Post
    I am new and I want this patch but I can't download it
    big-emu-cards.patch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast