Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Could be - they change the same file.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Not perfect, but a 1000% improvement. Thanks.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Not perfect, but a 1000% improvement. Thanks.
    If 1000% isnt perfect I dont want to know what your idea of perfection is
    Ummm why wouldn't you just add uiRevision: 2 to appinfo.json and add back buttons where needed. That's what I did with the Evernote app. Much better imo.

Edit: http://www.precentral.net/developer-...-apps-touchpad
    Last edited by PainToad; 09/12/2011 at 08:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If 1000% isnt perfect I dont want to know what your idea of perfection is
    Well, it might speak to how senseless the previous scheme was. Its a whole lot better, but, as you know, graphics inside of the emulator may not expand. Such as the radar screen in the the Weather Channel's app. But thats no big deal, most of the apps are vastly improved. A couple of the gps mapping apps are quite useable now..
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Well, it might speak to how senseless the previous scheme was. Its a whole lot better, but, as you know, graphics inside of the emulator may not expand. Such as the radar screen in the the Weather Channel's app. But thats no big deal, most of the apps are vastly improved. A couple of the gps mapping apps are quite useable now..
    Then edit the CSS. The great thing about webOS is almost ever app can be customised/fixed diy.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Ummm why wouldn't you just add uiRevision: 2 to appinfo.json and add back buttons where needed. That's what I did with the Evernote app. Much better imo.

Edit: Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    This is great and thanks but not all apps are available for people to modify are they?

I thought the dev's of the app only had access to these files
  8.    #28  
    Then edit the CSS. The great thing about webOS is almost ever app can be customised/fixed diy.
    This is good advice for the tech minded out there but remember that not everyone using these patches is the msot tech savvy.

Some people have enough trouble installing Preware and patches.

Its not legal to modify third party apps and distribute the modifications on Preware, so we are also trying to come up with ways to make the webOS experience better for everyone.

We arent just doing this for ourselves, we are doing it for everyone with a webOS device.
    please help, I cant remember how to install .patch files. Thanks
    Hey, it looks like I'm having a hard time getting webos quick install to hook into the server. Wait until tomorrow? I'm getting an error in connecting to webos internals server. Or am I doing something wrong?
    In the luna-platform.conf file, there are these values:

ModalWindowWidth=320
    ModalWindowHeight=480

Which leads me to believe that these are settings for how big the emulator mode window is.

I've doubled the value, hopefully making the emulator window double in size.

Anyone brave enough to try this patch?

I dont have a Touchpad.

Let me know what happens :P

This may bork webos and you will have to doctor. So use only if you want to possibly further webOS. Take one for the team!
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroJoe View Post
    Interestingly there is also EmulatedCardWidth and EmulatedCardHeight.

These do have an affect - but it's not a simple doubling. Check out what Accuweather looks like with this change.
    Tried running the patch and it failed so looking to do it manually.
    I see ModalWindowWidth=320 and ModalWindowHeight=480 in the luna-platform.conf file.
    I do not see EmulatedCardWidth and EmulatedCardHeight in either the luna-platform.conf file or the luna.conf file.
    What am I missing here?

Thanks..
    I thought the dev's of the app only had access to these files
    Wrong. Try looking in an Apps directory.
    You cannot patch third party apps as their code is closed source and property of their creators.
    End users can patch whatever they desire on their device. They cannot, however, redistribute files that they have modified to anyone else unless they have explicit rights to do so (e.g. via an open source license).

Its not legal to modify third party apps and distribute the modifications on Preware
    You can distribute patches to third party apps, but not the modified apps themselves. That's a key distinction which is very important.

See the TouchPad HD Patches thread for more discussion about these points.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    <<staff edit>>

I believe he meant "closed source" in the legal sense of the term (i.e. not "Open Source" as per Mission | Open Source Initiative) which prevents redistribution of modified versions of such files.

Just because a file is readable, that does not automatically give you any rights to redistribute that file or any derivative work based on that file.

-- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: quote deleted
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I believe he meant "closed source" in the legal sense of the term (i.e. not "Open Source" as per Mission | Open Source Initiative) which prevents redistribution of modified versions of such files.

Just because a file is readable, that does not automatically give you any rights to redistribute that file or any derivative work based on that file.

-- Rod
    But there's nothing stoping people editing the files themselves or applying patches that do the job. Which is my point.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Tried running the patch and it failed so looking to do it manually.
    I see ModalWindowWidth=320 and ModalWindowHeight=480 in the luna-platform.conf file.
    I do not see EmulatedCardWidth and EmulatedCardHeight in either the luna-platform.conf file or the luna.conf file.
    What am I missing here?

Thanks..
    They are added rather than being modified. Sometimes lines of code are left out in configuration files.

configuration files do just what they sound like they do, they configure other files. They give an easy way for people to modify the variables in a piece of code.

Within the code of webOS, buried deep elsewhere, there are variables that define the size of the emulator window,

adding

Code:
    EmulatedCardWidth=480
    EmulatedCardHeight=720
    to the Luna.conf files changes those variables.

Who knows what other codes could potentially be added to the config files to modify webOS!! Only the engineers at Palm/HP truly do.
  17.    #37  
    But there's nothing stoping people editing the files themselves or applying patches that do the job. Which is my point.
    we get it.
    A point which you are making to people who have been doing that with webOS devices for over two years now ...

-- Rod
  19.    #39  
    By spreading incorrect information? Thanks!

You can however distrubute patches to apps, just like any patch in PreWare.

Not trying to hijack anything, just suggest a better alterntive.

Sticked:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ser-cache.html

Others:
    Ramblings of a Closet Geek

Just a few. But I did only get my first webOS device less than 2 weeks ago.
    I appreciate the work you have done for the touchpad in the short time that you have been here. Thanks.

I assume you are from Android. Things are done a bit differently around here. There is more structure and order to the community.

<<staff edit>>

This is the last time I will comment on this:

I appreciate you mentioning how to modify 3rd party apps. If anyone wants to do that its great that it can be done.

There are 7000 or so Mojo apps out there. Some have been fullscreened with back buttons by their devs.

I am not going to go through and modify each app myself.

This thread is about looking for a way to modify the touchpad emulator so that someone with no computer knowledge could install the patch and Mojo apps display larger than intended.

I am sure the configuration files for each app could be of help, but unless there are some universal codes that apply to each app in the same way so they resize, our goal in this thread is to somehow get the apps to easily resize properly without intervention of each individual app.

Whether that is through some magical formatting code, or by simply resizing the pixel density ala iOS, we will see.

I appreciate your comments on modifying apps, but I do not believe this is the right thread for it.

Feel free to start your own thread on how to do this, I am sure it will be beneficial to some and I would be interested in reading it as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 09:10 PM.
    or tell us which feed to look for it in? thanks

EDIT: I've put the correct patch file at the top of this thread in order to not confuse people.

My patch didnt really do anything, its really GyroJoe's patch that got us to where we are now. Please thank him as well!

In the luna-platform.conf file, there are these values:

ModalWindowWidth=320
    ModalWindowHeight=480

Which leads me to believe that these are settings for how big the emulator mode window is.

I've doubled the value, hopefully making the emulator window double in size.

Anyone brave enough to try this patch?

I dont have a Touchpad.

Let me know what happens :P

This may bork webos and you will have to doctor. So use only if you want to possibly further webOS. Take one for the team!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast