webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > $$$-Password Protect a single Launcher Tab Page (TouchPad)
$$$-Password Protect a single Launcher Tab Page (TouchPad)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 09/04/2011, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok so password protecting apps, pictures, memos, etc hasn't worked out. How about password protecting one of the launcher pages so that you can place your "protected apps" in there. This would keep private things private, and your kids from accidentally deleting important information.

I would no doubt pay to get this built.
Old 09/04/2011, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

couldn't you just use xterm to manually chmod 000 the apps you want to protect? Maybe change their name to .app instead of app and it might make them invisible?
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2011, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

If an app managed that, this would be fine, like an auto chmod utility or renamer... but for contact app, messaging app, etc. Would be too tedious to do over and over i think, at least manually..

But great idea, will probably work for some peoples needs.
Old 09/04/2011, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think your specific request isn't going to happen because most of the app launcher is compiled machine code now.. In other words it's next to impossible to modify. Adding a launcher page to a configuration file is one thing, but programming in an entire password protection system into the launcher is a totally different beast.
Nightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the explanation. It would serve kind of as a folder, atleast for the front end. If it is possible it would be great, if not, oh well.
Old 09/05/2011, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

The only thing I can think of would be to patch each app you want protected with a login layer. Unless it is possible to capture what apps are being launched. In that case a background service could maybe be written to ask for the authorization to resume launching the app or stop launching the app if correct info is not provided. However patching each app is probably the easier less elegant way of handling it. The code for each patch wouldn't change except for what file has to receive the patch.
As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
StoneRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2011, 03:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a way to build an app to manage this?
Old 09/12/2011, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

An app could act as a front end of sorts but some sort of background service would have to run to intercept apps loading, to do it any other way than modifying each app you want to password protect. Either way would be a sizable project. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as several of the other developers as they have years of experience working in the field where I've only just recently graduated and only dabbled with it as a small hobby prior to going to college for it. So I guess it is a matter of how exactly you want to be able to do the password protection and if any of us will be able to make it happen. I could probably try my hand at patchable code to add a password layer to any app. The downside to that would be any time any of the apps are updated the patch would have to be reapplied.
As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
StoneRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
An app could act as a front end of sorts but some sort of background service would have to run to intercept apps loading, to do it any other way than modifying each app you want to password protect. Either way would be a sizable project. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as several of the other developers as they have years of experience working in the field where I've only just recently graduated and only dabbled with it as a small hobby prior to going to college for it. So I guess it is a matter of how exactly you want to be able to do the password protection and if any of us will be able to make it happen. I could probably try my hand at patchable code to add a password layer to any app. The downside to that would be any time any of the apps are updated the patch would have to be reapplied.
I'll get you $20 if you do this. email me: cwhead321 at gmail dot com
cwhead321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I bet this would be easy to do now that webOS CE is available. Add some entries for Key Manager, and set up a new service (for a prefs app) and implement a password dialog.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0