Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've created a patch that makes the webOS 2 photos app much more usuable.
    Normally, it takes a few seconds until the app loads the high resolution version of a photo.
    Digging through the code I noticed how ill they implemented displaying the photos, they're using delays without end.

    This patch makes the app loading the high resolution version of a photo immediately.
    A big disadvantage is the high memory usage when viewing many pictures. (With a bit more patching there would be a way around this.)

    Please give me feedback on how this patch works for you, and do not submit this patch to the portal (yet).

    Thanks

    Changelog:
    v0.0.1: Initial release
    v0.0.2: Fixed conflict with other apps (like camera app)
    Last edited by pcworld; 01/04/2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Rnp and matteebee13 like this.
  2. #2  
    Tested and aproved!!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3. T-ulk's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #3  
    it works but it breaks the preview of pictures in camera app. Preview stays very blurry.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    it works but it breaks the preview of pictures in camera app. Preview stays very blurry.
    Works, but +1 to what ^ said. Worth the trade off though as I rarely need to show off my photos using the camera app or just open the photo app. There used to be a patch for 1.4.5 that did this and I am loving this version. Maybe you can figure out the camera app problem and it would be perfect! Thanks a bunch!!!
  5. #5  
    Definitely gonna try this one out.
  6. #6  
    Works for on device stored photos in the photo app but not the cloud stored ones like facebook or picasa. Liking it though.
  7. #7  
    The only thing I really noticed with this patch is that instead of showing a blurry image while it loads, it replaces the blurry image with a black screen and shows the clear image once it loads all the way. I dont really see it making anything faster. Just gets rid of the loading/blurry image before fully loading the image. Am I wrong?
  8. #8  
    how to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I've created a patch that makes the webOS 2 photos app much more usuable.
    Normally, it takes a few seconds until the app loads the high resolution version of a photo.
    Digging through the code I noticed how ill they implemented displaying the photos, they're using delays without end.

    This patch makes the app loading the high resolution version of a photo immediately.
    A big disadvantage is the high memory usage when viewing many pictures. (With a bit more patching there would be a way around this.)

    Please give me feedback on how this patch works for you, and do not submit this patch to the portal (yet).

    Thanks
  9. #9  
    how did you install it?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinjunk View Post
    how did you install it?
    webOS Quick Install. Or if you have the Internalz app, email it to yourself and open it up with that. It will install it for you.
  11. #11  
    how do you do webos quick install? rookie here. do you install on pc and then transfer to phone? how do i get quick install?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinjunk View Post
    how do you do webos quick install? rookie here. do you install on pc and then transfer to phone? how do i get quick install?
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

    Its a program you download to your computer and use to install patches and apps to your phone. Very easy to use.
  13. #13  
    And since you have never used Quick Install, I assume you dont have Preware on your device. I would look Preware up too if I were you and install it with Quick Install. It will change your life. lol
  14. #14  
    I will try JSJSJS $but$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $very$ $techie$. $Thanks$
  15. #15  
    Please add this to Preware

    webOS-Patches Web Portal
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    The only thing I really noticed with this patch is that instead of showing a blurry image while it loads, it replaces the blurry image with a black screen and shows the clear image once it loads all the way. I dont really see it making anything faster. Just gets rid of the loading/blurry image before fully loading the image. Am I wrong?
    Yes, this patch omits the low resolution image.
    But it makes the app immediately start loading the high resolution image.
    Normally the high resolution image gets only loaded when you actually see the low-res one, and then there's a timeout of 0.4 seconds before the app even starts loading the high-res img.
    The most stupid thing is that after the 0.4s if you're dragging or zooming, the high-res img loading gets delayed by another 0.5s.
    This patch also pre-loads the high resolution version for the next and previous photo.
    What device did you test the patch on?

    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Works for on device stored photos in the photo app but not the cloud stored ones like facebook or picasa. Liking it though.
    I may create a system-wide patch too.

    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    it works but it breaks the preview of pictures in camera app. Preview stays very blurry.
    Thanks for the report. I fixed this and uploaded a new version (v0.0.2) to the first post. Please let me know if this issue is resolved now.
    To make the image loading in other apps like the camera app faster too, I may create a system-wide patch.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Please add this to Preware

    webOS-Patches Web Portal
    I intentionally did this not yet, because I expected some bugs, and, well, some people discovered bugs.
    When the patch is stable and I cleaned up the code I'll submit.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
  17. #17  
    The new version fixed the camera problem, but the photos still stay blurry for the 0.4s before appearing clear again. The photo app looks beautiful. Keep up the good work, I love what you're doing so far
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    The new version fixed the camera problem, but the photos still stay blurry for the 0.4s before appearing clear again. The photo app looks beautiful. Keep up the good work, I love what you're doing so far
    As said, the current patch only works for the photos app, and no other app.
    I may try to create a system-wide patch too.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Yes, this patch omits the low resolution image.
    But it makes the app immediately start loading the high resolution image.
    Normally the high resolution image gets only loaded when you actually see the low-res one, and then there's a timeout of 0.4 seconds before the app even starts loading the high-res img.
    The most stupid thing is that after the 0.4s if you're dragging or zooming, the high-res img loading gets delayed by another 0.5s.
    This patch also pre-loads the high resolution version for the next and previous photo.
    What device did you test the patch on?
    I tested it on a Verizon Pre Plus running 2.1. I'm going to try out the version 2 patch now.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I tested it on a Verizon Pre Plus running 2.1. I'm going to try out the version 2 patch now.
    On a Pre 2 the speed improvement is probably more noticeable.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions