Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes
  1. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cshrader View Post
    I don't understand. Without the line, you can't tell where the reply ends and the original message starts.

Since the purpose of this patch is to match Outlook formatting, the line needs to stay or the patch has failed.
    Baloney. You can see where the next message starts by the heading that starts the previous message.

The line is a graphic, not a text line, and is likely only visible if you can see HTML objects in your email. If you look at replies sent through Exchange Server 2007 on your webOS device, there is no line, as 2007 does not support html.

Unless it's possible to add in such a graphic with a patch, I don't think a text line is appropriate, as it displays poorly on some devices, including webOS devices.
  2.    #62  
    I think the line needs to be there. I don't see where it displays poorly in webOS devices. Everything seems to look perfect to me.

Can you post screenshots?
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I think it's a graphic inserted by Outlook in the viewing pane. Do you see the line on your phone when viewing that reply? If you reply to a gmail address does the line show up?
    This doesn't appear to be the case. I am looking and an email thread that all came from Outlook with multiple replies and I see the separator on 2.1 and 3.0.2.
    From my perspective, the whole point of this patch is to make emails sent from the TouchPad or Pre 2 look more like they were sent from a desktop (more professional).

Whenever I get an Outlook email from an associate and I reply to that email from my work computer in Outlook, there is a line that separates each email. That's why I would like the TouchPad & Pre 2 to do the same thing one way or another. The Outlook+ format for 3.x injects it in replies just fine (actually, Outlook+ for 2.x didn't add the line when I just tested it).

Honestly, if we can't agree on this, we can always add some kind of line to the signature for the Outlook account in webOS but its not as native looking.

UPDATE: Actually, I didn't have the latest version of the 2.x patch on my Pre2. I updated that and its working now.
    Last edited by capt4chris; 08/16/2011 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cshrader View Post
    I don't understand. Without the line, you can't tell where the reply ends and the original message starts.

Since the purpose of this patch is to match Outlook formatting, the line needs to stay or the patch has failed.
    Well its about do you want the message look the same in outlook or in the phone. I.e. the line in outlook is made by outlook but the line in webOS is added into the message i.e. when the reply made from phone is viewed in outlook you get double line. WebOS does not do detection of reply part in the message so you cannot get the exact same behavior. So there needs to be a selection which one is wanted behavior. The line for easier separation in the phone or no line i.e. the same format as outlook uses for replies.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Sconix, is it possible to make reply font color and line/no line separate tweaks for this patch? Then everyone can customize the way they want.
    Sconix, is it possible to make reply font color and line/no line separate tweaks for this patch? Then everyone can customize the way they want.
    Sure everything is always possible, but I usually also think of the maintenance effort. I.e. if feature is not absolutely needed then I don't add it, it makes porting the patch for newer versions easier and faster i.e. users get updated patch much faster, so not just to save my time. So thats why I am hoping either the current setup (outlook = exact outlook formatting, outlook+ = kinda outlook formatting with couple extras) would be fine or some change to that.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Well its about do you want the message look the same in outlook or in the phone. I.e. the line in outlook is made by outlook but the line in webOS is added into the message i.e. when the reply made from phone is viewed in outlook you get double line. WebOS does not do detection of reply part in the message so you cannot get the exact same behavior. So there needs to be a selection which one is wanted behavior. The line for easier separation in the phone or no line i.e. the same format as outlook uses for replies.
    I have never seen this double line behavior using Outlook+.
  9. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandman8 View Post
    I have never seen this double line behavior using Outlook+.
    Use outlook+ to reply to yourself. View the reply in Outlook. The graphic line and the text line from the patch will be visible.
  10.    #70  
    Use outlook+ to reply to yourself. View the reply in Outlook. The graphic line and the text line from the patch will be visible.
    The screenshot I had previously posted shows with no problem. This is Outlook 2010.

http://forums.precentral.net/3066919-post53.html
  11. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Maybe it's a 2007 issue, then.
    Well it seems that outlook tries to be somehow "too" smart, so it differs when it adds the line and when not. But I am quite sure that the line is not in the message itself, and at least I tried to verify this with an outlook 2010 user and it seemed to be the case. So it is the outlook adding the line but not including it in the message. So I will keep the thing as they are, outlook for being strict outlook format, and outlook+ having the color + line for better separation of the reply and latest message part.
  13. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Well it seems that outlook tries to be somehow "too" smart, so it differs when it adds the line and when not. But I am quite sure that the line is not in the message itself, and at least I tried to verify this with an outlook 2010 user and it seemed to be the case. So it is the outlook adding the line but not including it in the message. So I will keep the thing as they are, outlook for being strict outlook format, and outlook+ having the color + line for better separation of the reply and latest message part.
    Sounds good to me.
    I've confirmed that it isn't a 2007 issue. Outlook + works correctly (only one line).

Sounds good to me.
    I agree. Thanks Sconix!
    EDIT: 3.0.2 version is now done, just waiting ok from the testers and then will put it in preware.
    thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234