1.    #1  
    I've done quite a bit of looking around, and can't seem to find any fix for preventing a "render document failed" error message when opening certain pdfs (it looks like the discussion of this problem has really died down over the past year or so). I contacted HP's Palm support, but all they did was tell me that it was a known problem and that the engineering department was working on it. When I asked for possible work-arounds, they didn't have any (other than suggesting a pdf-to-word online converter, which does not allow my necessary zooming or landscape rotation). They also couldn't explain why the new TouchPad can open multiple pdfs at once (of different types- even pdfs with comic book graphics), but the Palm Pre Plus can't. Is there anyone who would be willing to come up with a fix for this? I'd really appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    So is the webOS 3 PDF viewer actually usable? I assume you are still on webOS 1.4.x, like I am.
  3.    #3  
    Also, if there isn't a patch that would work, can I request that someone come up with a alternative, fully functional PDF viewer? I tried posting a request on the Homebrew Apps forum, but I'm restricted from posting (maybe because I just joined).

Or is there some trick to manipulating the pdf so that it will render? I've tried reducing the file size, flattening the images, removing metadata, making it compatible with all sorts of earlier versions of Acrobat, and making it a "read only" file, but nothing's seemed to work. A 28 MB file will open just fine and allow me to read ALL of it (along with zooming and the landscape rotation using PDF Redux), but another 8 MB file gives me that "Render document failed" error message.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I would guess this is unfixable via patch, as it is a very widespread problem.

With the X server, it should be possible to install xpdf or something similar.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I'm on webOS 1.4.5 (or whatever the latest update was), and it looked like webOS 3 pdf viewer works very well, based on this review: HP TouchPad Vs. iPad 2 In PDF Smackdown Test | Mike Cane's xBlog .
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Don't expect HP to fix it for us. webOS 1 is pretty much dead.