Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By PrinceAlbert
  • 1 Post By NuclearWinter
  1.    #1  
    sometimes I want to open the keyboard without tapping an input field.

Can a patch be made to add a menu item in the "system" menu (top right of screen with battery, time, etc)?

Potential options are Open, Lock Open, Close.

Open: command same as tapping an input field - does not lock keyboard.

Lock Open: command to force keyboard to stay open until Close command is selected.

Close: to close keyboard manually, especially when using Lock Open.

Thanks to jaltman for patch idea.
    I see pandas.
    Bumping this up as I was about to post the same request.

The problem I'm having is that some flash sites/web applications I use do not have standard text input fields, so the Touchpad doesn't recognize them and doesn't bring the keyboard up. This makes such sites impossible to use currently.

As an example, iknow.jp is a popular language learning website that quizes you in a variety of ways to help memorize vocabulary; among other things it will display a sentence with one word starred out and have you type in the missing word. Since the keyboard doesn't pop up, it's impossible to do it on the Touchpad. Using the wireless bluetooth keyboard works, but that's often impractical.

Any kind of option to force the keyboard open would be very much appreciated!
    PCAce likes this.
    Just adding my voice to the post request. I run into this problem using pReader on my Touchpad. On the Pre, you just start typing to search your ebook library, but I am unable to do so on the Touchpad. An 'Open Keyboard' patch would be delightful.
    I too would love to have this patch!
  5.    #5  
    big 'ole bump :d
    I see pandas.
    Does anyone know how to do this using the SDK?

Edit:
    Looks like this will work for Mojo:
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17285

So, is the primary need for Mojo and perhaps the browser?
    Last edited by GyroJoe; 09/30/2011 at 05:24 AM.
    a lock keyboard will come in handy! Ever tried to browse down precentral's search "search in forum(s)"?
    I forgot! Here is one for the browser it was a 5min "fix" http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...n-browser.html
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    sometimes I want to open the keyboard without tapping an input field.

Can a patch be made to add a menu item in the "system" menu (top right of screen with battery, time, etc)?

Potential options are Open, Lock Open, Close.

Open: command same as tapping an input field - does not lock keyboard.

Lock Open: command to force keyboard to stay open until Close command is selected.

Close: to close keyboard manually, especially when using Lock Open.

Thanks to jaltman for patch idea.
    Can I suggest 'Lock Close' too please?

In QuickOffice for instance I find it infuriating that whilst scrolling (swiping) down through a long document.. one 'touch/swipe' too hard, or too slow and the wretched keyboard pops up TOTALLY unwanted!

Thanks!