Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So here's the problem: I just discovered that Palm logs and backs up not only your web bookmarks but your web history to their servers nightly. Since there is no clear data retention policy that I can find by Palm, it might be an issue for people who might not otherwise know that Palm is uploading ALL of their browsing history unbeknownst to them.

To try to address this, I'm looking at expanding upon the Enable Private Browsing patch built by Micah. To do this, we will Tweaks enable this patch so that the default of behavior with the patch installed is that history is NOT recorded.

However, since this is my first Tweaks patch, I need some brave souls to help test this. First off, a review of the Tweaks wiki page. Application:Tweaks - WebOS Internals

If you currently have the Private Browsing patch installed, please uninstall it at this time.

There will be two files attached below. One is the actual patch file which you patch the usual way. The second is the Tweaks json file which needs to be installed into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences/org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing.json

Obviously, make sure you have Tweaks installed before starting any of this. Also make sure you clean out your history before starting. Lastly, make sure you reboot after applying the patch and adding the JSON file.

The expected behavior is that with this patch installed and a previously cleaned history, you will no longer be recording web history.

Just in case, things get lost when I try to attach it, I've also posted the two files to pastee.org

https://pastee.org/rxhvn
    https://pastee.org/n9ajp

PS. Please rename browser-private-browsing.txt to browser-private-browsing.json. Precentral does not recognize json as a "safe" format.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by codecrumb; 07/14/2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
  2.    #2  
    NOTE: If you have to ask how to apply this, you are not the right audience. My expectation is for testers to test it out and follow up on if this works and maybe even providing a patch back.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    NOTE: If you have to ask how to apply this, you are not the right audience. My expectation is for testers to test it out and follow up on if this works and maybe even providing a patch back.
    I'll check it out for you when I get my TP on saturday. I think private browsing should be an option native to the webos 3 browser.
    I am using that patch now. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to remember to turn it on every time, the settings are not persistent for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by provost View Post
    I am using that patch now. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to remember to turn it on every time, the settings are not persistent for it.
    Exactly what do you mean by "turn it on"? As far as I know, you have to enable private browsing every time you reopen the browser anyway. I'll give this a try on my dev phone soon.
    What type of feedback are you looking for & what's the best way to get it to you? Do you need my browsing logs? Won't they be empty with this applied?
    Is this for 2.1 or 3.0 or both?
  7.    #7  
    Replying to this thread is fine.

The current Private Browsing patch does not default to on and does not rely on Tweaks to allow you to set the config.

The patch at the top of this post forces Private Browsing to be on by default. This is what I want people to test.

matteebee13, if this works you should not see any output in history.

NOTE: Make sure you uninstall Private Browsing if you have it installed through the feeds before trying this out.

8.    #8  
    Did anyone get a chance to test this out??

Hi, I'm the developer of the original Private Browsing patch. I really like the idea of updating my patch to work with tweaks.

I am not convinced that the default should be to have it enabled all the time though. There is already another patch available in preware that will disable the reporting to palm entirely. The main goal of my patch was to hide items from the history that is viewable in the browser. The goal wasn't to disable the history, but just to selectively hide specific items.

I have also been intending to update this so that any link that opens in a new window will inherit the current setting. I haven't had time to work on it though, so if anyone else feels like doing that it would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll get to it when I can.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Hi, I'm the developer of the original Private Browsing patch. I really like the idea of updating my patch to work with tweaks.

I am not convinced that the default should be to have it enabled all the time though. There is already another patch available in preware that will disable the reporting to palm entirely. The main goal of my patch was to hide items from the history that is viewable in the browser. The goal wasn't to disable the history, but just to selectively hide specific items.

I have also been intending to update this so that any link that opens in a new window will inherit the current setting. I haven't had time to work on it though, so if anyone else feels like doing that it would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll get to it when I can.
    minego, you should test out this version and let me know if it works then. In theory, it should work for any new windows too.

The logging patches (which are mine) only turn down the amount of system (and some) app logging. It's true that the logging there is turned off by the installation of EOM.

HOWEVER, your browsing history is stored in db8 which is part of your palm profile that is backed up to the cloud. This is something completely separate from the logs being uploaded back to Palm. Hence the more drastic solution with my intention being if someone were to install the private browsing patch, chances are that they are concerned about privacy and do not want to opt-in every time to it.

The flip side is that if you want it to default to false is to install the patch and and simply turn off Private Browsing via Tweaks.

minego, you should test out this version and let me know if it works then. In theory, it should work for any new windows too.

The logging patches (which are mine) only turn down the amount of system (and some) app logging. It's true that the logging there is turned off by the installation of EOM.

HOWEVER, your browsing history is stored in db8 which is part of your palm profile that is backed up to the cloud. This is something completely separate from the logs being uploaded back to Palm. Hence the more drastic solution with my intention being if someone were to install the private browsing patch, chances are that they are concerned about privacy and do not want to opt-in every time to it.

The flip side is that if you want it to default to false is to install the patch and and simply turn off Private Browsing via Tweaks.
    I just downloaded yours, and I'm a bit confused about how the tweaks file works. I haven't used tweaks (except as an end-user), so I don't see how it changes the app.

The patch itself looks exactly like my original version.

I've been working on a better version, and I wonder if you could do the tweaks file for it and we could release that. With this version if you open a new card by clicking on a link or hitting the new card button it will get the private setting from the original card.

This version also changes the color of the toolbar when private browsing is on. It makes it red, so that it is easy to tell. I really like the feature, but I think that should be an option in the tweaks file.

So, basically if we took my latest, and added a tweak to change the default setting for when a card is opened from the launcher, and to turn on or off the red toolbar then I would be very happy.

What do you think?

btw, I don't watch these forums all that closely, but I am pretty easy to get a hold of on twitter. I'm _minego.
    oops, I forgot to attach the file...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13.    #13  
    Read the Tweaks wiki page. Application:Tweaks - WebOS Internals

Thanks, I'll read up on tweaks as soon as I have some time. I probably won't have time during the week. If you would like to help with the tweaks stuff I would appreciate it, but if you'd rather not I will be happy to.

I was just thinking about this issue a bit. I personally want to have a history of where I have been on my phone, but I agree that it is a bit scary to have that backed up on palm's servers. It probably wouldn't be too hard to write a patch that would store the history using local storage instead of db8. The functionality on the device would be the same, but if I recall correctly local storage is not backed up as part of the profile.

What do you think? Is it worth the effort to write?
    Read the Tweaks wiki page. Application:Tweaks - WebOS Internals
    I just looked at your original post again, and saw the pastee links. The patch you attached and the one on pastee aren't the same. The one you attached looks like my original without any modifications.

I was very confused, because I tried that and didn't see any difference at all.

Now that I've seen the pastee one I can see the service requests to get the settings from tweaks. As soon as I get a chance I will try this and let you know how it works for me. I'll also try merging your tweaks change into my latest, and try to add another option for enabling/disabling the red background when private browsing is enabled.
  16.    #16  
    My bad for posting the wrong attachment. Indeed, the pastee is the right patch. I'm okay if you want to rework the logic too, as I was doing this at 3am and being very tired at the time =)

I'm definitely for local storage if possible but I guess we could make that another Tweaks option i.e. no history storage ever or just local history storage.

BTW, I definitely like the idea of having a different colored bar for a visual indication (as long as it's not overwhelming and compatible with a white font on dark scheme).

----

Ideally, I would like to expand on the whole Private Browsing scheme and maybe think about incorporating HTTP Everywhere functionality into this too.

See HTTPS Everywhere | Electronic Frontier Foundation

I'm quite for doing whatever we can for unwanted/unneeded tracking.

I have the colored header working pretty well, and I nearly have my latest working with tweaks. I have a bit more debugging to do to get it to work right though.

I'm thinking about having a set of colors, and letting the user choose which color to use in tweaks. The default would probably be green when private mode is on, and red when it is off, or something like that. The red I've been playing with is very dark, so the white text is easy to read.

I think I can make the local storage work, but it would basically mean rewriting a lot of how history works. It also would mean that history wouldn't work with just type, but I think I can live with that.

I really like the idea of HTTPS everywhere. There is a callback from the webview whenever the user clicks on a link. We could rewrite the URL there, but then if a site doesn't support HTTPS it would probably fail.
  18.    #18  
    1) FWIW, I would leave the default background the original color. I'm a big fan of leaving things "stock" if not enabled. And actually, I would suggest making the private mode red. Dunno. I guess as long as the visual indication is clear and we can change the colors, it's not a big deal.

2) With regards to HTTPS Everywhere, I think you can download the xpi, crack it open and the logic as well as list of sites should all be there. For an initial pass, I would stick to what they already have hardcoded in.

3) Lastly, for some odd reason, Palm has chosen not to unify/standardize search and history between the browser and Just Type. So we need a method to not store history (Recent Searches) too, maybe we could modify and merge the patch that clears Recent Searches.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...just-type.html

1) FWIW, I would leave the default background the original color. I'm a big fan of leaving things "stock" if not enabled. And actually, I would suggest making the private mode red. Dunno. I guess as long as the visual indication is clear and we can change the colors, it's not a big deal.
    The current version leaves it the original color when off, and turns it red when private browsing is on. This one should be in preware shortly.

I submitted it even though we're still working on this stuff because I considered the original bugging. When you opened a link in a new card that got added to your history. That really bothered me.

I like the current colors, but I'd consider letting the end user choose.

2) With regards to HTTPS Everywhere, I think you can download the xpi, crack it open and the logic as well as list of sites should all be there. For an initial pass, I would stick to what they already have hardcoded in.
    It looks like it is open source, so it should be pretty easy. It is licensed under the GPLv2. I assume (but should probably verify) that a patch submitted to webosinternals is compatible with GPLv2.

The source is available here:

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/development

3) Lastly, for some odd reason, Palm has chosen not to unify/standardize search and history between the browser and Just Type. So we need a method to not store history (Recent Searches) too, maybe we could modify and merge the patch that clears Recent Searches.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...just-type.html
    If you do a search in the browser it doesn't go into the recent searches though does it? So if I search for something using just type then it goes into recent searches, but if I search by typing it into the URL bar in the browser then it should just go in the browser history. Is that right?
    Last edited by minego; 07/19/2011 at 12:40 PM.
  20.    #20  
    I went ahead and approved your updated patch in the Patches portal.

After some digging around, it looks like I can change/modify the search string. I'm going to try adding an entry for secure search since the opensearch/universalsearch code is a black hole right now.

Ideally, this would be part of the opensearch code but for some reason, web added search engines are not being properly recognized (at least the ones I put up at OpenSearch Entries)

If you do a search in the browser it doesn't go into the recent searches though does it? So if I search for something using just type then it goes into recent searches, but if I search by typing it into the URL bar in the browser then it should just go in the browser history. Is that right?
    As far as I understand, that is correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast