Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Note: This patch is still kinda buggy. Please see the notes below.

Remember when I found the 'Find On Page' function hidden in the Browser code? Well I went back to it and adding some things to make it more functional. I also moved the FindBar to the top of the screen so you can see what you're typing.

How to use:
    In the Browser's app menu, tap 'Find On Page'. You will then be able to enter whatever you want to find on the current page. Hit the 'Enter' key to find the first instance. Tap the 'Next' button to keep finding the next instance.

I attached a screenshot to show you how it looks.

Current Issues:
    - The 'Prev' button does not work.
    - When cycling through the search results, sometimes the zoom level gets changed. You can pinch-to-zoom to zoom back out.
    - When cycling through results, sometimes the screen doesn't follow you.
    - When you tap the 'done' button, you'll see a blank space at the bottom of your screen. Minimize the card to get it back to normal.

Maybe someone with more skills than me can take this patch and improve it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 08/13/2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    irwinr12 likes this.
    mine would not install
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    mine would not install
    I've tested this on my Touchpad using untouched files... What problem are you having?
    I just tried to download from the link.
    I got it to work by emailing it to myself. Great work garrett
  5.    #5  
    I just tried to download from the link.
    I got it to work by emailing it to myself. Great work garrett
    Ah, yea. Lately, PC forums have a habit of breaking attachments...
    I think this is a must have patch. This can really be helpful when needed. Thanks again
  7.    #7  
    I think this is a must have patch. This can really be helpful when needed. Thanks again
    It'll be a must-have patch if I can work out all the bugs.. lol. It's decent as it is now though.
  8.    #8  
    So... anyone else try this patch yet?
    Trying to install with WOSQI results in an error message saying that it was unable to connect with the WebOS-Internals-servers and canīt download AUPT-scripts for the patch.

Will keep you posted, Garrett.
    T.

edit: It worked in the end (though a connection with the servers could still not be established).
    Last edited by tklr; 07/14/2011 at 03:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Another winner from Garrett!!
    Hey Garret,

Not looked at your code yet but I saw your post and thought I'd reply. I was rooting around today cos we were looking at setting a homepage and like you I spotted the code for 'find in page' that hadn't been implemented. I don't pretend to be a proper developer but I can read code and I noticed that the next and previous functions hadn't been written so no surprise they didn't work ;-) BUT I noticed your excellent post and hard work and I thought I'd let you know that there's some code in the StartPage.is file that might help with redrawing the page after the keyboard has disappeared. Looks like one of the original devs has put in a wee hack that made it into production; could be just what you need to redraw the page without having to minimise etc.

anyone interested in adding a 'set as homepage' option or are you not bothered? No point in me hacking my way through it if nobody is interested :-)
    Hi Garrett,
    I installed it on two touchpads, one with success. The only difference I see is the one that failed had the thumbnav controls (which I see you co-wrote?) added and the successful one started with an original file. The error from webosqi was:
    ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to apply addfindinpagetobrowser.patch
    1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/Browser.jsjsjs.$rej$

Of course when I check the location, there is no such file found.

I'm new at this, but does the patch alter absolute locations in the browser file so trying to apply it to an already patched file (with some earlier patch) will fail?

Works great on the touchpad with the successful install!

Thanks
    Though I would LOOOVE to have this option my installation fails too. Did all updates to webos 3.0.4 and installed the patch over wifi with Internalz Pro.

The first 4-5 attempts gave me this error:

Quote Originally Posted by tklr View Post
    ..... error message saying that it was unable to connect with the WebOS-Internals-servers and canīt download AUPT-scripts for the patch.
    Further attempts, yes I'm kind of desperate, showed me this error:

Quote Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
    1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/Browser.jsjsjs.$rej$
    I really hope it works sooner than later. Although it seems that also here development kind of stalled??
    Thanks for your effort!
    One thing missing here is whether this is 3.0.4 compatible... I'd love to try it out but the reject errors typically suggest that the file could not be patched since the line of text it was seeking was not the same as the patch is looking for.

@Garrett92C --- what was the OS level when you wrote the patch?

Thanks!

EDIT: played with it for 20 minutes and got it to work in 3.0.4 --- you're a genius Garrett nice work to say the least.

I hope you don't mind but folks (like me) NEED this functionality. If you don't post by mid-month or so, I'll post your patch with my modification. HP changed minor stuff so just modifying line numbers did not work in one specific area. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the modified patch to post.
    Last edited by JZ SmartMort; 11/05/2011 at 10:42 PM.
    I got it to work thanks to JZ SmartMort's mods. This only works with an unmodded browser. I had to uninstall my other patches first to get it to work.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JZ SmartMort View Post
    One thing missing here is whether this is 3.0.4 compatible... I'd love to try it out but the reject errors typically suggest that the file could not be patched since the line of text it was seeking was not the same as the patch is looking for.

@Garrett92C --- what was the OS level when you wrote the patch?

Thanks!

EDIT: played with it for 20 minutes and got it to work in 3.0.4 --- you're a genius Garrett nice work to say the least.

I hope you don't mind but folks (like me) NEED this functionality. If you don't post by mid-month or so, I'll post your patch with my modification. HP changed minor stuff so just modifying line numbers did not work in one specific area. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the modified patch to post.
    Looking forward to seeing this modded patch for 3.0.4 ...
    As I promised, it's about mid-month and I know folks are anxiously awaiting. Just an FYI to motivate folks... you can always open up a PATCH file and see exactly which files it's trying to update, then go to your device and see if the line number matches up with the PATCH. Typically, it's a couple of lines off but in this case there was also a very slight modification where just changing line number in the PATCH did not work and I had to grab the changed line and paste it into the PATCH so the correct portion of the source was identified. Remember, VI (or emacs if you're nuts) is your friend google it...

Enjoy the patch and again the credit goes to Garrett92C. I just modified his many hours of research in 20-30 mintues so not my work in any way.

Thanks!
    JZ
    Attached Files Attached Files
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Damn, I had high hopes ...

Installation went fine but no entry in the browser menu

Uninstalled previous patches like the gesture and private browsing patch -> still no menu entry. Uninstalled THIS patch and reinstalled again, still no menu entry.

Or am I blind? ...isn't it supposed to be beneath the "Web"-menu?? I could only find Settings/Print/Help
    Maybe a language issue??? I'm running the german rom.

!! Edit: After trying to reinstall my two patches mentioned before, I cannot reinstall the "Private Browsing" patch:
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/Browser.jsjsjs.$rej$

This patch would've had a menu entry too, so maybe any coherence...
    Even after uninstalling the patch from this thread, it's impossible to install the "Private Browsing" patch again...

Might someone give me an idea of what this installation might have messed up? ....

THANKS!

Edit2:
    After several attempts of installing and reinstalling and luna restarts I managed to reinstall "private browsing patch".
    After another attempt to reinstall this search addin -still no menu entry.
    ...which brings me to the question: @JZ SmartMort

Does your patch only patch Garrett's? Or does yours work on it's own?
    Last edited by jetset900; 11/16/2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetset900 View Post
    Edit2:
    After several attempts of installing and reinstalling and luna restarts I managed to reinstall "private browsing patch".
    After another attempt to reinstall this search addin -still no menu entry.
    ...which brings me to the question: @JZ SmartMort

Does your patch only patch Garrett's? Or does yours work on it's own?
    It works on its own... I just modified Garrett's PATCH for 3.0.4...

Remember this is a TEXT file, just open it up in notepad and it will tell you EXACTLY the sections it's searching for within specific files and exactly which lines will be added/removed in each file.

EDIT: here's a favor attached... this is the STOCK 3.0.4 browser that I extracted from WebOS Doctor. Rename yours which is located under /usr/palm/applications and use this as it's stock and unmodified in any way. Then make sure to use one patch at a time as they obviously can affect eachother since they mess with the same files.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JZ SmartMort; 11/20/2011 at 05:48 PM.
    wow, thanks for the effort! seriously great, ...I'll check as soon as I have some time.
    But don't you think it might be a concern to install a different language version?
    So which local version did you extract?

THX!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast