webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   webOS Patches (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/)
-   -   Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/286029-google-calendar-sync-behaviors-patch.html)

frantid 06/27/2011 08:08 AM

Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch

8 Attachment(s)
The sync behavior patch attempts to solve issues with Google calendar sync on webOS 2.x.x and TouchPad 3.0.x

[B]20 Apr 2013:[/B] Added the "changes only" option for sync strategies. [URL="http://forums.webosnation.com/3387553-post269.html"][U]See here for description[/U][/URL]

[B]18 Dec 2012:[/B] Added a patch for meta-doctored 2.2.4 veer. ***metaVEER224_***.patch is specifically for a meta-doctored veer that used [URL="http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-veer/313841-webos-2-2-4-doctor-veer-t-wr.html"][U]this script to build the doctor[/U][/URL]: Don't use it, unless you used that script. If you have no idea what a meta-doctor is, then you don't use that file.

[B]edit: 13 Oct:[/B] added version for 3.0.5 with advanced sync behaviors

[B]edit: 10 Oct:[/B] added test versions for 2.1 and 2.1.1 EU Veer -- google_sync_behavior21_2-8.patch
For ATT 2.1.2 Veer -- google_sync_behaviorVEER212_1-8.patch.
They have similar features to the 2.2.4 version. Only some of the code from 3.0.5 could not be applied to them.

[B]edit: 5 Oct:[/B] updated 2.2.4 added time support for syncing. i.e. choose the hours you want to sync. google_sync_behaviorPre3_22_1-17.patch can be used in all 2.2.4 devices. The older sync, without the advanced sync requirements is google_sync_behavior_224_1-4.patch -- this file does not have all sync fixes in it.

[B]edit: 29 Sept:[/B] updated the2.2.4 google sync behavior patch. modified the periodic sync behavior.

[B]Edit 25 Sept 2012[/B] Added following changes: for[HL] 2.2.4 devices only at the moment.[/HL] You need the latest UC version for the advanced sync settings. [U]The version for the Pre3, will work with all 2.2.4 devices[/U].[LIST][*]added pieces required for the advanced sync settings.[*]modified tweaks integration[*]add changes from 3.0.5 - sync data filtering, network error handling, regex fix.[*]added filter for the bad google events mentioned above.[*]Adds ability to set metadata in Activity objects, must use the object directly.[*]Adds ability to use ports besides 443 and 80 in Ajax calls.[*]Better cookie handling in Ajax headers[*]Enable network error handling for syncs[*]Enable sync data filtering on events prior to database saving.[/LIST]
[B]Edit 14 Jan [/B]Added 3.0.5 version

Also attached the json file for use in tweaks.

Currently the patch is for 2.x and above. It is a combined update of the patches for 2.1 in this thread. Also see that thread for detailed sync descriptions and history:
[url]http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/276699-google-first-sync-patch.html[/url]
[I][COLOR="DarkOrange"]If you have the extended characters patch from that thread, you need to uninstall it. The old sync limit patch, does not conflict. You can remove it if you want, it is not required.[/COLOR][/I]

Issues addressed:[LIST][*][B]Limited first sync to 3 months[/B] - This patch defaults to 1 year back and 4 years forward. It is Tweaks enabled, but will work at the defaults if you don't have Tweaks installed. 2.1 is in the Preware feeds, 3.0.2 needs testers before going into Preware. [COLOR="DarkOrange"]To use with Tweaks, you have to install the Preware version -- and have Tweaks installed. [/COLOR]
[QUOTE][B]optional not required for it to work at 1 year back and 4 years forward:[/B] To use the local test version with tweaks: 1. rename the attached "google-first-sync.json.txt" file to "google-first-sync.json" by deleting ".txt" from the end of the name. 2. place the "google-first-sync.json" file in the following directory:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences/[/QUOTE]

[*][B]Recurring event exceptions not syncing to Google[/B] - see [URL="http://forums.precentral.net/2989122-post64.html"]Carrel's post for description[/URL]

[*][B]Events with accented characters do not sync[/B] - see [URL="http://forums.precentral.net/2975079-post2741.html"]Kratus's post description.[/URL]

[*][B]Sync does not restart after sync error[/B] - adjustments based upon the Veer's sync behavior. It will attempt a range based sync if it cannot get a changes sync to be error free.
[*][B]Contact sync errors with accented characters[/B] - The touchpad and Pre3 do this correctly.[/LIST]

[B]Directions:[/B] Install the patch prior to adding calendar accounts, then it will use the new limits. If you already have accounts in your calendar, you will have to go into the accounts app, toggle off calendar for your google accounts. Then apply patch. Then toggle the calendars on, one google account at a time. It is best done if on wifi, as this can take a long time, if you have a large history of events.

MikeElmendorf 06/27/2011 08:25 AM

Now if I only had 2.1! Thanks for all your efforts.

Dreamcatcher 06/27/2011 10:32 AM

Thanks a lot, hope this will help with some calendar issues I've been having lately (recurring events not appearing etc.).

Dreamcatcher 06/27/2011 10:47 AM

Do I need to install this patch if I already have UC? And does the patch get deleted when I install a newer version of UC?

Thanks again

frantid 06/27/2011 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=Dreamcatcher;3005276]Thanks a lot, hope this will help with some calendar issues I've been having lately (recurring events not appearing etc.).[/QUOTE]

I hope so, if not and you can figure out a pattern then let me know.

@All - Seems it is in Preware.

frantid 06/27/2011 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=Dreamcatcher;3005303]Do I need to install this patch if I already have UC? And does the patch get deleted when I install a newer version of UC?

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

It's separate. So they don't need each other. Though for the most possible fixes I do recommend installing them both.

Dreamcatcher 06/27/2011 11:48 AM

Thanks! Will do and let you know if problems persist.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums]Forums[/url][/i]

frantid 07/09/2011 09:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Updated test versions attached. This fixes some event attendee problems and provides setup for the latest changes in UberCalendar. [URL="http://forums.precentral.net/3024632-post2876.html"]See UC thread for details.[/URL]

The patches also include various fixes as listed in the first post of this thread.
[B]Edit: 20 Aug[/B] - removed version for 201. Updated versions for 2.1

[B]Edit: 6 Aug[/B] - updated version for 201.

[B]Edit: 23 July[/B] - the google_sync_behavior21_2-2 will work for the EU Veer 2.1.1 Added a patch for VEER 2.1.2

[COLOR="Red"]Please remember to uninstall AND restart luna, before upgrading a local patch! Then install it and restart luna again. You can not upgrade a Preware version to a local version without uninstalling first.[/COLOR]

marysm 07/11/2011 11:49 AM

Hi all. I am desperate to get my work's Google calendar syncing properly. Is this patch supposed to fix the issue where nothing syncs after the initial account setup sync? If so, it is not working for me. I still am not seeing new events created on the Pre2 (2.1) showing on Google nor do new items there show up on the phone. In addition, none of my reminders seem to have transferred. Help!

frantid 07/11/2011 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=marysm;3026855]Hi all. I am desperate to get my work's Google calendar syncing properly. Is this patch supposed to fix the issue where nothing syncs after the initial account setup sync? If so, it is not working for me. I still am not seeing new events created on the Pre2 (2.1) showing on Google nor do new items there show up on the phone. In addition, none of my reminders seem to have transferred. Help![/QUOTE]

Hi, I'll try to help.
What time frame are these appointments, next week, next month?

What calendar patches do you have installed?

Do you also have the UC version that is in Preware installed?

Please install Lumberjack from Preware, set the log retrieval for custom. Then type in "calendar" and push retrieve log. Then post the logs here.

If you comfortable with testing, you can install the version of this patch for 2.1 in the post just above yours in this thread. Also in that post is a link to a test version of the UberCalendar patch, install that as well. I run both of these on My Pre2 so you don't have to worry about stability. I put some logging in that may help. However, to run those you have to uninstall both UC and the sync behavior patch AND restart Luna before installing the test patches.

frantid 07/11/2011 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=marysm;3026855]Hi all. I am desperate to get my work's Google calendar syncing properly. Is this patch supposed to fix the issue where nothing syncs after the initial account setup sync? If so, it is not working for me. I still am not seeing new events created on the Pre2 (2.1) showing on Google nor do new items there show up on the phone. In addition, none of my reminders seem to have transferred. Help![/QUOTE]

If you try the test versions and are going to post your logs, please make sure you look through the logs and remove any email addresses in the log before posting.

marysm 07/13/2011 10:09 AM

Thanks, frantid. I gave up and switched to accessing my Google domains calendar via Exchange. I thought that had fixed it, but after a couple of days, things stopped syncing. I broke down again this AM and turned off the option to use Exchange for my calendar (which would leave me with no access to Google calendar). I waited a bit after the phone said all (calendar) data would be deleted and went back to Calendar expecting an empty view. NO! Again, I have a ton of "undefined" entries. This is the second time this has happened! Now I have to delete all that crap by hand again. How the hell do they call this a business OS?!?

OK, venting done, for now. After I delete all the junk leftover from removing the calendar link, I'll follow your steps and report back.

Thanks.

Edit: Since the Exchange version of my Google account was only there for calendar, I went back and removed the account altogether. That seems to have removed all the "undefined" entries!! So, when the phone says it is deleting all data, it really means, removing the link to the account and leaving the junk there. Ah, now I can go to my next meeting a bit less stressed. Will report back later.

marysm 07/13/2011 01:13 PM

One additional question... Which account type should I try during these tests-- straight Google or Google via Exchange?

BTW, should it matter that under my Exchange (for calendar only) attempt, I also had a straight Google account installed, but it was set to NOT be used for calendar.

frantid 07/13/2011 01:24 PM

I believe it will conflict because the database references will be the same google id.

The patches only affect the imap google(normal) processes.

marysm 07/14/2011 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=frantid;3029796]I believe it will conflict because the database references will be the same google id...[/QUOTE]
Hum... Exchange doesn't do chat so, I was keeping the straight google account for that. I did switch the email to exchange. The chat may not matter if I move to a different chat client.

Haven't done any of the suggested testing yet. Will try this weekend.

Thanks.

frantid 08/20/2011 06:15 AM

Updated and submitted to Preware.

frantid 08/30/2011 11:55 AM

Updated first post with touchpad version. Please read the post on how to install for local patch tweaks support. I will submit to Preware after enough testers report no issues.

Thanks to all those testers out there. ;)

frantid 08/31/2011 10:46 AM

Any issues with the touchpad 3.0.2 version? I noticed a few downloads. Can you please let me know how well it installed and if it works for you?

I'd like to submit to preware.

Thanks again for testing.

zenkinz 08/31/2011 11:49 AM

I dont see this patch in prepare (I am using touchpad 3.02). Is there a new testing fees I should add?

frantid 08/31/2011 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=zenkinz;3120764]I dont see this patch in prepare (I am using touchpad 3.02). Is there a new testing fees I should add?[/QUOTE]

No it's in the first post, I am waiting to hear back from testers before I post it to Preware.