Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
  1.    #121  
    No problem.

The patch also corrects other sync behavior besides the first sync. There are a couple of situations where sync fails. So if you had one of those without the patch installed, sync would stop. So you would get more battery, but no sync.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    ps. the Pre synced before the patch installation, I've only had the problems with the Special Chars (, ,...) syncing from Pre to google
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    It must have hit a bad event or got hung up. This is also another good reason for not doing bulk transfers. Bad data can really stop the sync cold.

Good to hear you found a fix.
    Meh... Things with the Google calendar are not going well.
    Some days ago I discovered that not all events had synced.
    I found out when I used the Google calendar search for specific clients (events) and I got no results, although I was sure I had them in my calendar.
    I then checked out and saw that my oldest events (around May) were not synced except from a few ones and even some more recent did not sync.
    Trying to find a solution with re-adding or toggling events between Palm and Google calendar I reached a situation where I could not sync any more (either from Pre to web or the opposite).
    I started going to past events and changing them one by one. After many hours the calendar synced again. For about 2 days everything seemed OK, but today after adding an event and editing some others it stopped to sync again.
    Again from what I look my oldest events are missing and some of the most recent ones are either missing or not completely transferred (without event notes).

The thing is I'm not so sure if events that were synced before started to disappear again or if they never did appear. frantid, I know it probably has nothing to do with your patch but I'd like to hear your experienced opinion.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Meh... Things with the Google calendar are not going well.
    Some days ago I discovered that not all events had synced.
    I found out when I used the Google calendar search for specific clients (events) and I got no results, although I was sure I had them in my calendar.
    I then checked out and saw that my oldest events (around May) were not synced except from a few ones and even some more recent did not sync.
    Trying to find a solution with re-adding or toggling events between Palm and Google calendar I reached a situation where I could not sync any more (either from Pre to web or the opposite).
    I started going to past events and changing them one by one. After many hours the calendar synced again. For about 2 days everything seemed OK, but today after adding an event and editing some others it stopped to sync again.
    Again from what I look my oldest events are missing and some of the most recent ones are either missing or not completely transferred (without event notes).

The thing is I'm not so sure if events that were synced before started to disappear again or if they never did appear. frantid, I know it probably has nothing to do with your patch but I'd like to hear your experienced opinion.
    That doesn't sound like very reliable sync.

I have only concentrated the patches on making sure the transport features work with google and that the parameters are correct in the sync requests. I think you are running into another type of problem. I have a guess as to what might be the problem, but I'm not sure. I've been studying the changes in the touchpad's code and behavior trying to figure it out. I'll explain... this is going to be long sorry.

I've seen sporadic problems where doing a number of new events will cause the sync to skip a few events. I think it is a database and timing issue. Usually the calendar will sync as soon as it sees a database change. So you make a new event, it immediately kicks off the sync service. Meanwhile, you are still modifying your events or making new ones. The sync has already started, so only the first one is sync'd. The sync end's and the time of the sync is recorded. But you finished making your edits, before the sync ended. So for the next sync, the database only looks for changes after the last recorded sync time. Which means the few events you made before sync ended never get to sync.

Normally this isn't a problem as sync takes just a few seconds really. And most people take more than a few seconds to make events. And they usually only make a few on their phones at a time. But if sync takes longer or you are too fast for the system, events get skipped.

I think this maybe why my sync usually doesn't have problems. I usually make appointments 1 at a time as I'm on the phone or right after a meeting. I know some people do it all at one time of the day.

All you should have to do to get the missing event to sync is make a change. Adding a word to the note is enough.

I believe they have realized they need to do it differently, as they are now tracking modified time per event on the touchpad. I can't do this on the phones with a patch, as I can't modify the database behavior.

What I would do if you want to migrate a lot of your old events at a time - especially if you are doing hours worth of migration, is put the phone in airplane mode.

I know this sounds bad, but I'm assuming you are doing this in a down time when your not expected to be on call. That way you could quickly move a large number of events and sync wouldn't start. Then turn airplane back and don't make any changes until the sync is completed.

For normal event creation, just keep in mind how it works for now. I'm going to start looking at whether I can figure out where it is tracking changes in the database and determining which events it needs to sync. Maybe find some way to force a fuller sync than just changes. That sync would be manually started. I wouldn't want it automatic as that first sync can be really long. Several hours for some people.

If you follow the logs with lumberjack, using custom searching for "google". Look at the status line. Looks like "--> status 200". If it says 200, that's an error free sync. If you see something else there, let me know as that is an error.

I don't have a clear cut answer, so I just posted my thoughts on it. hope it helped.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    toburg likes this.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thanks for trying to explain. Unfortunately, I think that there may be some other problems.
    A few days ago, I modified an event on my TP (a single one, not recurring, a really basic one). The next day, I found that the event hasn't been modified on Google. Back at home, I edited the same event on the TP, adding one more minute to it, then adding a note. I also used the "Sync Now" button, but the event never updated to google ...
    Now I am not using anymore the calendar on the TP, because it's obviously unreliable ...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    frantid first of all thanks for your time.
    I spent many hours yesterday after my post trying to figure out what is the problem.
    I believe that your explanations are very close to the truth.

My problem yesterday I believe was created when I was trying to add a new event and accidentally I "drag n dropped" another. I saw it and then tried to move it to the correct time. This probably was in the sync "meantime" you said.
    The event was not moved to the correct timeframe and it stayed at the same time in the web. After that problem I could not sync anything though and that's what is most annoying.

So as I said, I lost my sleep last night trying to figure out what was happening. Fortunately I don't have thousands of events and most of them were synced. Now, I started going backwards to all the events that were not synced. I did what I said in the earlier post. Toggling them to Palm and then again to Google. Then at some time, syncing started to work again, although this did not happen for all the events. For some events I had to delete them and then re-add them. I started looking at which events were missing from the web and doing this thing to each event. What I found out is that turning 3 or 4 Palm events to Google events and then syncing would result in 1 or 2 only really syncing. Either there is a very low limit to the amount of new info that can be synced or again it was this "meantime" thing. I changed the first, then the second and probably it started syncing before I changed the third and the fourth.

So slowly and without mass toggling I changed 2 events at a time until I reached the oldest event. I doublechecked and now I have all the events back again. What I want to see now is if events will disappear and if events will not sync in the future.

However I don't believe that the solution with just editing the event really works all the time. Sometimes the event will just not sync. For example I had one event and deleted it. It stayed in the web. I then added it again edited and nothing happened and then re-added it and was duplicated. This seems erratic.
    As for the airplane mode, well I did something similar. I turned of data and wifi. However then my concern is if a lot of data syncing afterwards will make some events not sync.

I believe though that the explanation is somewhere in this "timeframe" thing. I usually don't add many events together. They are client appointments so I usually add one at a time. However I may need for example to add some notes on each one at the end of the day. This takes me a minute or so of editing 3-4 events one after another and may be the reason of all this.

So, now I'll try to monitor more closely the changes and see what happens. Look if events disappear, if event notes sync etc. My advice is that when events dont sync you have to do something to cause them to sync. Either toggle them, delete and re-add them, edit them until you get the back. In order to avoid this it's probably best if you don't create/edit many events one after another. I'm not sure if you go offline and then again online will help.
    Last edited by Loiter; 10/07/2011 at 06:43 AM.
    toburg likes this.
    with all the problem solving you do frantid, i just wanted to shout out that i'm really happy with the google sync at the moment with my Pre2 2.1.
    It syncs both ways, does not take long to have the events apearing on the other sync-partner (pre<>desktop) and even complex sync situations work:

I have a shared work calendar among my other 12 google calendars and if my colleague enters an event on his pre it'll get synced to mine without problems. And if i change this event it has no problem updating back to my desktop and his Pre.

Thanks a lot to you for constantly updating this patch and even bringing new features to ubercalendar like attendees adding... http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3143666
  8.    #128  
    @Loiter - thanks, for your detailed steps. It helps in determining what might be going on. I think you are correct, there are some times events that just will not sync no matter what is done to them. In the end, all you can do is delete them and recreate a new one. I need to do more research on how things work. I do think it is possible to have a fairly consistent sync. Just like gizmo21, I experience pretty solid sync. Hopefully, you will get there as well.

@gizmo21, thank you for the feed back. Beyond my own selfish reasons for making my calendar fit my needs, it is responses like yours and Loiter's that keep me interested in working on webOS.

Cheers

gizmo21 and Loiter like this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    And it's people like you or sconix, Metaview and the rest of the guys here that make us stick to this OS no matter how badly it has been treated by HP.

I'll be posting again if I notice something helpful. Thanks again.
  10.    #130  
    @Loiter - make sure to use the latest UC version. Preware has all the latest, so you should be ok if you are using the latest from there.

I have started researching how sync of local changes are determined on the phones. It all keys off of a database revision number. And the mean time effect is a valid concern. I have not found a way to force a complete sync yet. However, the last UC version I corrected problems with events not recording revision numbers correctly. So I think it will help. I guess I got lucky in finding the errors.

I am going to now go over the calendar app and concentrate on anywhere the revision numbers are set. So there maybe another update soon. (I really wanted to type "in the coming weeks" LOL)

Now that I understand how it works, I might be able to make some modifications for the better. No guarantees though.
  11.    #131  
    You will have to uninstall the google sync behaviors patches prior to TP 3.0.4 update.

I posted a test version in first post.

Just installed both your google sync patch on ATT Pre3 unlocked 2.2.0 as well as UC and my duplicated google recurring events just sorted themselves out. Very impressed and very thankful as my Pre minus was just about dead and I need to switch to the new phone. Thanks alot, will let you know if everything stays as it should.
    As I have an att veer and thus cannot try frantid's patch, I am curious what folks in this thread think about moo's new patch posted to Preware yesterday "Sync Fix for Stable Upload". Think I can install on an att veer? Patch description sure sounds reasonable....

Thanks everyone.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  14.    #134  
    In the first post you can use the one with VEER212 in the name. That one is for the att veer. Preware will not generate a valid patch for the google services. That is why they are not in Preware.

Quote Originally Posted by tannenba View Post
    As I have an att veer and thus cannot try frantid's patch, I am curious what folks in this thread think about moo's new patch posted to Preware yesterday "Sync Fix for Stable Upload". Think I can install on an att veer? Patch description sure sounds reasonable....

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    In the first post you can use the one with VEER212 in the name. That one is for the att veer. Preware will not generate a valid patch for the google services. That is why they are not in Preware.
    Thanks for the reply.

So having a bigger sync window backwards/forwards isn't important to me... given that, is all I need to do to install on att veer is simply download the veer212 patch from post one, email it to my phone (or just download w/ phone browser?), and let internalz pro install the .ipk? I.e. No need to delete google account etc just to just get more reliable syncing? BTW, how do I uninstall this patch w/o the help of Preware?

All I want is a more reliable google sync experience. Currently seems like 20% of the time when I enter something on the veer calendar it does not show up in google or vice versa. So frantid, if I understand correctly, your patch already does what moo's new patch does (i.e. retry the sync if the connection is bad) plus more? And does your patch in post one also correct google contact sync behavior (I have a lot of contacts that do not appear in google, prolly because I have a blank entry for a name and just have a business entry), or is that a different patch?

Thanks for the help and all the hard work. If only HP had hired folks like frantid webos would be outselling iOS

Frantid, do you have a donation link anywhere? If I can get google syncing working to the point where I don't have to constantly worry about missing an appointment due to silent sync failures, I would -gladly- send you some well derserved beer money!

Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I think I found a "solution".
    I changed a future event back again to Palm and then again to Google and it synced.
    I did the same to the other events (back to Palm and again to Google) and they work.
    I also created a new event in Google and it synced back to the phone and vice versa.
    Seems everything is fine for now.
    FWIW, I had success w/ the above recipe as well. Thanks Loiter for sharing. Of course I am hoping frantids patch provides the "real" solution.

18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by tannenba View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So having a bigger sync window backwards/forwards isn't important to me... given that, is all I need to do to install on att veer is simply download the veer212 patch from post one, email it to my phone (or just download w/ phone browser?), and let internalz pro install the .ipk? I.e. No need to delete google account etc just to just get more reliable syncing? BTW, how do I uninstall this patch w/o the help of Preware?
    If you just install it, it will work for only new events unless you toggle the calendar off then on. If you have missing events already, then you would have to make a change to them -- as you have discovered. Yes use Internalz or webOS QI to install. You can email it to your phone, downloading via the browser on the phone does not work. Once installed, Preware will see it and you can uninstall with Preware.

All I want is a more reliable google sync experience. Currently seems like 20% of the time when I enter something on the veer calendar it does not show up in google or vice versa. So frantid, if I understand correctly, your patch already does what moo's new patch does (i.e. retry the sync if the connection is bad) plus more? And does your patch in post one also correct google contact sync behavior (I have a lot of contacts that do not appear in google, prolly because I have a blank entry for a name and just have a business entry), or is that a different patch?
    I do not know about the other patch. It will help contacts that have accented characters. I have contacts as only company names that sync, so I'm not familiar with the other sync problems. Except the one where sometimes a missing second name will cause it not to sync, but I believe this error is only google's side.

Thanks for the help and all the hard work. If only HP had hired folks like frantid webos would be outselling iOS
    Thanks, if you want to donate, please consider donating to webOS Internals and Jason. Patching is much easier with their tools.

sorry if this has been asked, but I'm trying to read these forums on my veer . I have updated to 2.2.4 is there a patch for that, or should I manually edit the file? (like you show'd me all that time ago )
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    sorry if this has been asked, but I'm trying to read these forums on my veer . I have updated to 2.2.4 is there a patch for that, or should I manually edit the file? (like you show'd me all that time ago )
    The Pre3 file is probably the best bet. There were no changes in 2.2.0 to 2.2.3. I'm not sure about 2.2.4, but my guess is they didn't change anything.

If it installs without error, then they probably did not alter the files.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast