1.    #1  
    @5xBEAR on twitter suggested this patch idea and frankly, I think it was a great idea!

Basically, this patch will auto-detect GPS coordinates within IMs and SMS/MMS. Coordinates in the form <latitude#>,<longitude#>.

Detected coordinates in messages will turn into tappable links. Tapping on a coordinate link will open that location Google Maps.

In addition, I've added an option in the chat-view's app menu: "Insert GPS Location". As you'd expect, it basically inserts your current location (as gps coordinates) into the chat text box. I've also binded the command to metatap+l (metatap with a lowercase L).

This kind of quick location communication could be very handy. For example, you could sent a text message to a friend asking where they are. Then they'd just need to send their coordinates and you can find them quickly, on-the-go.

The attached .patch is designed for webOS 2.1.0, but might work on 2.0.1 (haven't tested).

EDIT: I've attached a webOS 1.4.5 version of the patch that should work
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 06/13/2011 at 12:31 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    sounds like an awesome patch. I downloaded the patch directly from the attached files link then tried to install using WebOSQI v. 4.1.1 on my pre- on 1.4.5, but got the following error messages: "Unable to connect to WebOS-Internals´ Servers. Cannot download AUPT scripts for the patch." Also I tried to email the patch as attachment to myself, but got an error when trying to download the attachment. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Update: thanks I just noticed after sending my comment that you now have 2 versions of the patch linked, I was able to install the version for 1.4.5 without problem using WebOSQI!
    Last edited by hunland; 06/12/2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: problem solved
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hunland View Post
    sounds like an awesome patch. I downloaded the patch directly from the attached files link then tried to install using WebOSQI v. 4.1.1 on my pre- on 1.4.5, but got the following error messages: "Unable to connect to WebOS-Internals´ Servers. Cannot download AUPT scripts for the patch." Also I tried to email the patch as attachment to myself, but got an error when trying to download the attachment. Any ideas what the problem might be?
    Sounds like either your computer has online connection issue, or it was a fluke. Try again and see if ya get the error again.

In regards to on-device .patch install via Internalz Pro, it's advised not to download forum attachments on-device as that will always fail. Click the link to email the attachment, then open the .patch from email into internalz pro.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Sounds like either your computer has online connection issue, or it was a fluke. Try again and see if ya get the error again.

In regards to on-device .patch install via Internalz Pro, it's advised not to download forum attachments on-device as that will always fail. Click the link to email the attachment, then open the .patch from email into internalz pro.
    thanks for the quick reply - the problem was that I downloaded the original patch that was posted which apparently was for 2.1 but my pre- is running on 1.4.5 - see the update to my original post above. Now it installed fine with WebOSQI!
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
  5.    #5  
    Here's an example screenshot showing what the patch does, in terms of coordinate auto-detection and linking

In this example, I used the coordinate "37.393076,-122.041166" which get auto-detected and changed into a link that opens into GoogleMaps.

Nice! Downloaded it right now as the email link. Worked like a charm.
    Will this work for WiFi only Tablets? As a workaround for no GPS?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by illconceived View Post
    Will this work for WiFi only Tablets? As a workaround for no GPS?
    The touchpad's webOSdoctor has not been released yet, so there are no patches for it yet. And I'm not sure how pairing would work yet. However, while retrieving current location GPS may not work in the wifi-touchpad, it should be possible to do the coordinate autodetection/linking.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Works perfect on my Pre- 1.4.5.
    Thank you sir!
  10. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Great idea! The mapping program I was using to do this really sucked. Thanks!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    3 time I tried looks like I have a lock on sats now. Sitting in my house doesn't help with the locks but looks like it's working now. Thanks for this!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    working great with your example 37.xxxx

but with common coordinates here the first 49. is recognised as telephonenumber. best descriped by trying:
    ah insert text in front and it works. well always try to save letters
    thanks again for a very usefull addtion to webos. Inserting the position only works in thread mode, not new message mode.
    Is there also a solution to use this in email?
    I forgot about this patch, could have used it last weekend! Thanks again, installed and ready for next time
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Could this be turned into this?
    Homing Device
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Speaking of Homing Device, what about a phone locater? For example, your phone is stuck in the couch, your ringer is off, next to impossible to find. Go to your PC, and remotely turn on the ringer and start ringing?
    Not relevant in this discussion as this is about location sharing.
    Stick to topic Sir!
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Lets keep this on topic!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi Jason,

I know its been a while since you made this patch, but would it be possible for it to have an option of the 'insert GPS location' feature being inserted in the degrees minutes seconds (DMS) format rather than decimal?

I've got no problems with the decimal format, its just the other day I had someone who was coming to pick me up in their car (and they of course had absolutely no idea where I was!) and I thought I would be clever and send them my GPS location for them to put in their in-car navigation system. Slight problem was that their system only allowed DMS format geocoordinates so what I sent them was useless. I did eventually send them the correct information by manually typing out the DMS information from a fix in Map Tools, but it would just be a nice option if this patch could automatically insert the location as DMS.

Thanks
    Last edited by s162216; 03/23/2014 at 07:21 AM.