1.    #1  
    For some reason HP/PAlm changed something in webOS 2.1.0 that has made caller id and contact matching stop working for US phone numbers. I have all my contacts' phone numbers stored with the internationally accepted GSM standard of putting a '+' sign before the country code. But the phone companies in the US for some reason refuse to follow any International standards and thus they do not prefix the '+' sign before the country code, infact more often than not they don't even prefix the US country code '1' before the number. Before webOS 2.1.0, this was not a problem in terms of the phone matching the contacts, but since webOS 2.1.0, my Pre + now no longer is able to match incoming numbers from the us with the saved contacts. Thus my only solution for making sure that webOS can match the contact when someone from the US calls me, is to save the numbers for each US contact in multiple formats. For example, for someone with the number xxx-yyy-zzzz, I have to store the number three times in the following formats:
    1. '+1 xxx-yyy-zzzz' <-- For making outgoing calls.
    2. '1 xxx-yyy-zzzz' <-- For matching incoming calls.
    3. 'xxx-yyy-zzzz' <-- For matching incoming calls.

I wonder why and what did HP change in webOS 2 for the contact matching to stop working. More importantly, is there anything one can do to circumvent this problem? If not, I would like to request for someone to please work on a patch to match incoming numbers with the contact numbers, by matching the last ten digits.

PS: Why can't the US phone companies follow the simple yet practical standard for dialling numbers, i.e. in the following format: '+1 xxx-yyy-zzzz'?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  2.    #2  
    Am I the only one who is affected by this? Or is it just that webOS is mostly US centric and thus most are not affected by this? I am sure as HP markets webOS across the world, this issue will become an impediment to it's growth. For not many will put up with a phone that can't even match calls with the contact list.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am affected by a similar problem after using my veer both in europe as well as in the US. The numbers are the same but sometimes they are displayed differently (e.g. with or without +/00) and webos is not able to match them. I ended up adding the same number twice to these contacts, which is not the best solution...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Yeah same here. I thought I was missing something. I hope someone would be able to create a patch.
    Matching the last 10 digits would not work for many European numbers. Contacts often are listed as 0xx 555 2244 or 0xx 4444 6677; while reported number IDs drop the zero and insert the country code. And it would not work for numbers that include extensions or pause signs. As far as I can see in the source code, the matching used in the Pre is a very extensive scheme. It separates (normalizes) country and area codes and subscriber number for many countries, and removes pauses etc and seems to use that info for matching.

In my case, matching did not work because I had the wrong country info in regional settings/phone numbers. This is a new setting in webOS 2.x Interesting I think is that 'Regions currently supported' (by the code) mentions 'India' and 'People's Republic of China'.
  6.    #6  
    WebOS 1.x.x had no such issues and worked just fine. I wonder why HP had to fix something that was not broken and now actually have it broken. Also, even cheap non-smart phones have no problem in matching numbers with the contact list, then why should a 'supposedly' smartphone not be able to do so? Personally I think the problem has appeared due to the new ability in webOS 2.x.x to display country/state for numbers not in the contact list. Considering that there is number portability now, I think displaying the state is obslete and incorrect. Wish HP would have the sense to go back to how things were in webOS 1.x.x. I am sure most people will agree that matching numbers with the contact list, is more important than displaying what country or state a non listed person is calling from.

Sorry for asking the obvious: you did setup the Regional settings' phone numbers field, didn't you?
  8. sgx
    I've been trying to fix this, some number are reocgnized and some are not, still no patch?