1.    #1  
    My daughter is getting a gently used Pre Plus for her Birthday. She is not going to be on a regular plan with full data access - she doesn't have the money for the monthly bills and she's not really old enough for this yet. So we plan to activate the phone on Pageplus and give her access to data via WiFi.

Here's the problem. There doesn't appear to be a "NO DATA" patch anywhere that I can find - and I'm afraid that if I turn off data it may get restarted at some point.

I've thought about using mode switcher - but I was really looking for something a little more brute force - DATA OFF until a patch was removed.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Although this doesn't address your request, this might be helpful info.

I'm pretty much a 'no-data' guy myself (WiFi at work & home, I only need to enable data via data day passes once or twice a month). Because of that, I have the "Data Usage" switch (Phone Preferences) set to 'Off'. I can confirm that it stays off unless I turn it on. This setting 'sticks' regardless of reboots, patching, etc..

Caveat: you will want Data for initial activation and/or Erase/Doctor situations (unless you use the bypass utility -- all of this you probably know already)

FYI, I also have the 'Data in Device menu' patch installed --> probably something you don't want (you want it be less than obvious to your Daughter).

All that said: I know you really want to put a 'parental lock' on the data switch... no patch for that that I'm aware of either.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    I use the patch that add 2g/3g/Auto and GPS in menu, and is working well. :blink:

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    Although this doesn't address your request, this might be helpful info.

I'm pretty much a 'no-data' guy myself (WiFi at work & home, I only need to enable data via data day passes once or twice a month). Because of that, I have the "Data Usage" switch (Phone Preferences) set to 'Off'. I can confirm that it stays off unless I turn it on. This setting 'sticks' regardless of reboots, patching, etc..

Caveat: you will want Data for initial activation and/or Erase/Doctor situations (unless you use the bypass utility -- all of this you probably know already)

FYI, I also have the 'Data in Device menu' patch installed --> probably something you don't want (you want it be less than obvious to your Daughter).

All that said: I know you really want to put a 'parental lock' on the data switch... no patch for that that I'm aware of either.

Actually this helps a lot - I'm glad to know that it does stay off as it should. My daughter might accidentally turn it on or otherwise muck with it but it doesn't absolutely require a pin or anything like that. I'm not really sure I need more than just the option to turn off.

The consequence of turning this on is that she will burn through her prepaid money in a hurry and then she will be put back on a non-data capable device and have to live with it.

Her loss - but I'd like to make sure she has little potential for accidentally shooting herself in the foot.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I use the patch that add 2g/3g/Auto and GPS in menu, and is working well. :blink:

Best Regards...
    I think I want to keep it non-obvious and also less easy to accidentally enable. I recall numerous times with the launcher patches that I turned off data or gps by accident because the option was easy to thumb by accident.
    why not just turn it off in the phone preferences. She'd have to go searching for it to turn it back on
    Yea, I saw just disable data in the phone preferences. Show her where it is and tell her not to fiddle with it unless she wants to loss all her prepaid time. And the reason I say to show her where it is is just in case she's an "explorer" you don't want her to be experimenting with something she finds and turn the data back on.
    If it is a GSM phone, change the data apn so it will not work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    The APN comment is a good one. The other option you have is to call the Carrier & ask them to disable Data. A bit heavy-handed: chances are simply turning off Data & leaving it like that will be enough.

Good luck
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    If it is a GSM phone, change the data apn so it will not work.
    I'm afraid not, it's CDMA not GSM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    The other option you have is to call the Carrier & ask them to disable Data. A bit heavy-handed: chances are simply turning off Data & leaving it like that will be enough.

Good luck
    Carrier is Verizon but through PagePlus - I do not think that would be an option.
    Actually you can call P+ and they will disable the data. They often forget to turn the data on at activation so I've read.
    Also, from my parents' dealings with Page Plus, they don't seem to do data overage billing. Once you use up your allotment, the data just stops working.

ETA: The standard plans of $30 for 1200min/2000txts/100mb data and $45 for Unlimited Min/Txt/20mb data don't bill data out of what you paid, but out of your allotment. If you have her on a pay by the minute plan, though, it may be different.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM