Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all, I just upgraded (or downgraded, depending how you look) to a Veer with WebOS 2.1.2.

On my Pre with 1.4.x, I have been using the Notification Repeat patch by lclarkjr. It worked fabulously. A great patch! Unfortunately, the author must have gotten distracted or disinterested, as his message thread died off last summer. According to his messages, there is no support for WebOS 2.

Anyone: are there any other Patches or Applications that offer similar reminder/notification repeat function? I looked, but so far no luck.

Thanks in advance. Robert.

And, let me rant here for a moment. A phone with no notification repeats out of the box? This seems to be the newest trend, as I am encountering this issue with several recent purchases - but, give me a break. I know we are supposed to be continuously watching the devices, always looking at the screen to detect the icons, widgets, LED's, etc., that show missed voicemails or SMS. But I don't. I cannot be the only one in the world that is not opening and looking at his phone every 5 minutes? End of rant.
    Check out the Advanced System Prefs by sconix. They contain notification repeat preferences for the different apps (amongst other things). You'll need the Framework patch along with the ones specific to whichever app you want notification repeat preferences for (phone, messaging, email, etc). I use Ubercalendar for my calendar prefs, which also does notification repeat (amongst other things).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Check out the Advanced System Prefs by sconix. They contain notification repeat preferences for the different apps (amongst other things). You'll need the Framework patch along with the ones specific to whichever app you want notification repeat preferences for (phone, messaging, email, etc). I use Ubercalendar for my calendar prefs, which also does notification repeat (amongst other things).
    The wiki link for the Adv. Sys. Prefs patches.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, guys.

Indeed, Advanced System Preferences could do the trick. Trying to get that, I went through a lot of hoops to install Preware (it was a battle that took a whole night - device not recognized - finally moved to another PC and got it in).

Unfortunately, now it appears that Adv Sys Prefs Framework is not compatible with the Veer: every framework version fails to install. I will post a question in the author's thread.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of any other app or patch that would provide repeat of message notifications for a WebOS 2.1.2 Veer, I'd be grateful.

Regards. Robert.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Indeed, Advanced System Preferences could do the trick. Trying to get that, I went through a lot of hoops to install Preware (it was a battle that took a whole night - device not recognized - finally moved to another PC and got it in).

Unfortunately, now it appears that Adv Sys Prefs Framework is not compatible with the Veer: every framework version fails to install. I will post a question in the author's thread.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of any other app or patch that would provide repeat of message notifications for a WebOS 2.1.2 Veer, I'd be grateful.

Regards. Robert.
    Well I suppose if I had read the post a little closer, I would have noticed you mentioned the Veer and then instead said that as you have found the Adv Sys Prefs patches are not yet compatible with 2.1.2.

Sconix has said that getting his patches working with 2.1.2 will come at some point. I presume the same goes for all of the other devs and their patches as well.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  6.    #6  
    Yes, you are right, I re-read my OP and realized that it was not very clear about me looking for patches for WebOS 2.1.2. Sorry.

Sconix replied to my inquiry in his thread: he will work on 2.1.2 compatibility, once he has access to either a device or to the SDK at his location in Finland.

I am looking forward to that. Robert.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I agree that it is ridiculous that this functionality is not built in. I needed a patch to increase the vibration time to anything greater that 1/2 second. Thank god for all the homebrewers out there.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Ι find it a bit disturbing that 2.1.2 is so different that Advanced System Preferences can't be used. If from 2.1 to 2.1.2 exist such differences, I don't want to know what will happen in 2.2 or 3.0.
    Is 2.1.2 not compatible with other sconix patches too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Ι find it a bit disturbing that 2.1.2 is so different that Advanced System Preferences can't be used. If from 2.1 to 2.1.2 exist such differences, I don't want to know what will happen in 2.2 or 3.0.
    Is 2.1.2 not compatible with other sconix patches too?
    You shouldn't find it disturbing.

Patches work by modifying very specific lines of very specific device files.

If even one line or file is slightly different, the patch will likely fail to install.

Just about every single patch in existence has needed an update for each WebOS revision. This is not a new thing.
    I'am looking for something like this for HP Veer with webOS 2.2.4. Can somebody help me?
    I don't know if sconix has updated his patches for 2.2.4 Veer since there has not been an official release.

I hit him on twitter, he is halfway around the world from me I believe so might not get back until tomorrow.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    According to the wiki changelog, this was done already, but I cannot confirm as I'm running 2.1.2 on my Veer.

Advanced System Prefs - Framework
    2.1.x/2.2.x - Current Release - (Release date: Oct. 31, 2011)
    Fixed contact deletion
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Thanks, wasn't sure if it was on the wiki.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have all "Advanced System Prefs" patches on my phone, but problem is, there is nowhere in preferences settings for notifications. I think, for webOS 2.1.2 was some other patch and I have used settings for notifications.
    go into messaging app
    hit drop down menu
    preferences and accounts
    then look for the account you want to repeat on (most likely Palm Profile)
    tap the bell to the right of the account
    you will see all the additional functions of the SMS advanced system menu
    YES!!! Many thanks, it was my mistake... :-D