Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So you're failure to see how any of this is useful is because we are still experimenting to see what can be done.
    I think a number of us were lead to this thread from the link on the front page on P|C entitled: Google Maps just got a lot better for webOS (with a work-around) and the following description:
    Thanks to the diligent workers found in our forums (especially rmausser), you can now get access to the very same (improved) Google Maps mobile website that Android and iPhone users have access to. With a little bit of time and elbow-grease, you can stop using the built-in Google Maps application that so many of us have become frustrated with, and instead go straight to the source at Google itself.
    So that's probably where the inflated expectations are coming from (myself included). Obviously this is not the case and there should probably be a disclaimer somewhere in there that the majority of users WON'T be ditching Google Maps for this method.
    How do you move the map around? It won't move for me.
    Again if you took the time to read the posts on this thread you would know the answer to that question.
    Sorry, it was 5AM, my time and I have been up all night working and I had just gotten home, & had read through this. Obviously I was tired and probably just misread. 3 page threads aren't that hard for me to read through, 50 page on the other hand, a different story
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I tried it a couple different ways and got different results (VZW Pre Plus, 1.4.5.1):

-Sent myself the link through Neato!
    Map is displayed in "Google Maps" (but clearly it's not the usual GM.) I can scroll the map around, but I can't create a bookmark or launcher icon. The only menu option is "Edit", which doesn't help much.

-Sent the link via email to myself. Tapping the link in the email did nothing, so I copied and pasted the link from the email into the Web browser.
    Map is displayed in the Web browser, can't scroll, but am able to make a bookmark and a launcher icon.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Works like a charm! VZW Pre2 2.0.1. Added to launcher
    Works fine for me on my Sprint Pre minus with 1.4.5.

Don't need ALL the features but not having to wait for the Google app to dl all the maps to my device for every init of the app is just fine for me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    El Macambo - nice!
    haha, first venue that happened to pop into my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    How do you move the map around? It won't move for me.
    So I figured out that if you go to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/app/assistants and open up app-assistant.jsjsjs $you$ $can$ $replace$ $the$ $url$ $with$ $the$ $one$ $you$ $copied$ $from$ $your$ $browser$. $Then$ $the$ $Google$ $Maps$ $app$ $loads$ $a$ $lot$ $quicker$ $and$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $any$ $problems$ $with$ $scrolling$ $like$ $you$ $do$ $in$ $the$ $browser$. $It$ $works$ $great$! $I$ $love$ $it$! $And$ $I$'$m$ $keeping$ $mine$ $this$ $way$! $Thanks$ $to$ $whoever$ $figured$ $this$ $out$ $initially$!!
    I just replaced the url in the app-assistant.jsjsjs $file$.
    I can pan the map, but lost pinch to zoom and the ability to locate yourself
    Last edited by kiukiukiu; 05/31/2011 at 11:39 PM.
    and you lost justtype for google map
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by JetUni View Post
    So I figured out that if you go to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/app/assistants and open up app-assistant.jsjsjs $you$ $can$ $replace$ $the$ $url$ $with$ $the$ $one$ $you$ $copied$ $from$ $your$ $browser$. $Then$ $the$ $Google$ $Maps$ $app$ $loads$ $a$ $lot$ $quicker$ $and$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $any$ $problems$ $with$ $scrolling$ $like$ $you$ $do$ $in$ $the$ $browser$. $It$ $works$ $great$! $I$ $love$ $it$! $And$ $I$'$m$ $keeping$ $mine$ $this$ $way$! $Thanks$ $to$ $whoever$ $figured$ $this$ $out$ $initially$!!
    Did you try restarting the phone to see if that still holds true?
    Did you try restarting the phone to see if that still holds true?
    Slightly faster.........still slow
    Living in New York, it used to take sometimes upwards of a full minute to load the GoogleMaps App. This is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Alright so I found a way to just get the mobile site for google working.

You need:

a) a gmail account.
    b) iPhone User Agent for your Pre (possibly)

Here are the steps:

1) Go to maps.google.com on your computer. Make sure you are logged in.
    2) Find a place on google maps. Anything. I picked this.

el macambo - Google Maps

3) Click "save to map" at the bottom of the bubble.

4) Save to your places.

5) Make a link of the location with the link at the top right of the page.

6) Paste that link into the WebOS browser. (make sure you are logged into google on your accounts on the Pre, or in the browser. Go to www.gmail.com and login)

7) Voila.

Works for me,
    let me know if it works for you.
    Thanks a lot!

I found a much easier method :just visit in your Web Browser.
    Last edited by kyleyan; 06/07/2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetUni View Post
    I've tried, but it seems not so good on my Pixi Plus...still lots of problems.
    I found a much easier method :just visit
    Quote:
    Google Maps
    in your Web Browser.
    Now go to that URL in firefox then Neato! that to your phone and the new map will open in the original GoogleMaps-app AND it is scrollable.

Well the navigation list isn't scrollable though. can any body perhaps patch that new link into the GoogleMaps .jsjsjs ?
  17. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    still not usable when loaded as google maps app. cannot scroll on directions + glitchy
    Been meaning to do this for a while - super easy and it just works (better to do the email route not the neato! route so that you can save the webpage to the launcher).

Still - cant wait for a proper implementation of maps on WebOS....
    Cool, good to know this works now. Last time I tried (probably a year ago), trying to go to a My Saved Places google map link would crash my Pre every time - it would actually reboot.

I see that I'm unable to pan around in a map, but I can zoom in (on a point of google's choosing!). Still better than it was before, but not quite fully functional. I hope they're still working on it.
    I am taking a trip, and so I saved a map. Not sure if I can view the saved map from the Google Maps app, but by emailing the link to myself I can view my saved map with no problem. This is very useful to me because I need to show some people where I am going.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234